Ohio meet @ Mansfield Reformatory!

A few thoughts and memories....

For those of you who actually took the tour of this place, ponder this. The Mansfield Reformatory was actually not the worst place for a criminal to be sent. It housed mostly low-risk criminals doing mostly "short" terms, that were considered to be "reformable".

The really lucky ones were allowed to work on the "Honor Farm" which still sits just slightly north and west of this complex. It is still active, raising beef for the prison system now. I remember as a kid (over 50 years ago) living in Norwalk watching the trucks, loaded with prisoners and supplies, with "Ohio State Reformatory" on the doors go by the house on their way to and from Sandusky. What is now the Ohio Veterans Home was formerly called the Old Soldiers & Sailors Home and was taken care of by prisoners from Mansfield.

Also just slightly north and west is the current Ohio Department of Corrections Mansfield Facility. It now houses a different class of criminal than in years past. I'm not sure if they are still located there, but "Administrative Segregation" and Death Row were located there at one time.

The "hard-core", long term criminals were sent to the old Ohio Penitentiary on West Broad St., in downtown Columbus. It was torn down many years ago to make room for the arena I believe. It made Mansfield look like a beach resort!!

Just thought I'd share a few of these tidbits from the past. Now that I've opened this "can of worms", I'm gonna have to do some research and see how accurate my memories really are!!

Russell wrote:

I remember as a kid (over 50 years ago) living in Norwalk watching the trucks, loaded with prisoners and supplies, with "Ohio State Reformatory" on the doors go by the house on their way to and from Sandusky.

Russ

THAT WOULD BE A COOL PICTURE TO HAVE TODAY, 50 YEARS LATER !!!
They would have that on display in there today if you had a picture like that.

Very cool experience you had 1/2 a century ago.

Darren

Many, many thanks are in order...

Especially to Dwayne for doing the work of setting this up and a huge thank you to the reformatory staff (In particular Ms. Becky McKinnell! Our personal tour guide.) for being such gracious hosts!

The whole experience was great! Heather and I had such a wonderful time. We really do hope that this becomes an annual event. We are close enough to Mansfield that it would be a nice weekend to look forward to every year.

Lots of great photos have been posted so far. Here is just one more from another perspective of all the coaches in attendance and the reformatory as the backdrop!

Attachments

• reformatory.jpg
    reformatory.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 316
Chuck

To get that shot you must have stood on top of your mini-van !!! ;)

Well worth the foot prints on the roof for that great photo !

Darren

Here are some photos I took at the meet.

Dwayne and Caprice in the Brooks room !
Cell shot
Old Aeriel view of the reformatory
Showers - 1 minute to shower once a week !
Curved glass windows !

Enjoy,
Darren

Attachments

• mansfield brooks.jpg
    mansfield brooks.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 285
  • mansfield cell.jpg
    mansfield cell.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 288
  • mansfield old view.jpg
    mansfield old view.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 285
  • mansfield showers.jpg
    mansfield showers.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 286
  • mansfield curved glass.jpg
    mansfield curved glass.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 288
Mansfield 2014?

Since it has been just 3 days over a year that this event was starting to be planned for last year, I was wondering and hoping that anyone (Dwayne) had any idea if this event was going to take place THIS year or not? I really hope so, last year was awesome. Dwayne, please let us know if you have heard anything or have any inside info. Thanks!

Shawn, the date for the 2014 Mansfield Reformatory meet is Sunday June 1st. Will post details as soon as I have time to work on it, sorry for the delay

Awesome. No problem with the delay, we all know you are a busy person and just how much work this is for you. I appreciate all of your hard work you do on this, it is a really nice weekend and we all had such a great time last year. Thanks again!

Here ya go guys... make some copies, share, and tell your friends!

2014Reformatory_zpsc5538760.jpg

Travelodge phone number for reservations

Just a helpful hint....the number for Travelodge at I-71 and Rt 13 where most of us stayed last year and everyone I have talked to so far is staying this year is: 419-756-7600. :D

We're having a slight time crunch right now, IF the '64 is back from the shop in Norwalk by then it will be there with us. Dude isn't real sure what all it's gonna take to get her running right, may have to send the carb out for a rebuild. We'll know shortly. Keep your fingers crossed.

Other than this show, which we really want her to be at, we've got a pretty busy schedule for this summer. We've been contacted by a couple different festival committees that have parades and car shows. One of our area ambulance providers wants to run it in parades paired up with their newest rig under the caption of "What a difference 50 years makes!" or something of that nature. We're pondering using it as an EMT training tool to test students "critical thinking" skills as part of a basic EMT class. Not real sure how that's gonna fly!! Could be a lot of fun if we can get it approved!! We'll see.

Russell

I recommend a good carb rebuild highly.

I have had a few done lately and it makes a world of difference.

Even if they are running OK, a guy who knows carbs can get the car running much better, smoother and likely even saving gas.

Do that and I am sure you won't regret it !

Darren

Working on fun stuff for those coming to the Mansfield area on Saturday, May 31st (day before the show) the times for these events will be posted as soon as I have times locked in:

The Haunted Bissman Building:
Visit their website = http://bobbissman.wix.com/hauntedbissman#

ad3329_cb2ad8b9ea60786710babbbced3aa7bc.jpg_srz_680_490_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Another cool place... Malabar Farm. Fascinating place, interesting history! Been there many times, a great place to tour (weather permitting)

malabar-farm-state-park.jpg

We are new to the society but are wondering if we can take part in the upcoming event in Mansfield? My wife and I are looking into purchasing our first professional car.

Gary,
Not wanting to step on toes, but, as far as I know, ANYONE who is a member of the PCS is welcome to attend. The more, the merrier, whether you have a car yet or not! As stated previously, the Travelodge is a good place to stay for the money....look back a few posts to get the phone number. Hope to see you there!

We are new to the society but are wondering if we can take part in the upcoming event in Mansfield? My wife and I are looking into purchasing our first professional car.

Yes Gary, come on down and enjoy the day! Owning a professional car isn't necessary to attend our events and we'd like to have you attend.

Back