M is for Monday M is for Moving Day

I would put 2 cans of Sea Foam into the engine, and allow it to idle for at least a half hour. If the noise doesn't go away, then take off the valve covers and check for a bad rocker arm or a bent push rod. If you can get the car towed out to Ct for $200, I will do the work for you. Just hope that you are not in a rush to get the car back......... :halo:

Just got off the phone with the mechanic. He is gonna try the seafoam. If that doesn't loosen it he will pull the heads and check the lifters Let's pray!

Just got off the phone with the mechanic. He is gonna try the seafoam. If that doesn't loosen it he will pull the heads and check the lifters Let's pray!

STOP.... :stop: Have him just remove the rocker valve covers and inspect the rocker arms and look for a bent push rod. No need to pull the heads off, until he knows what he is looking for. Once the heads are off, you are half way into an expensive repair that might not be needed. If he disconnects the distributor coil wire, he can have someone crank the engine and visually inspect for a defective rocker arm, lifter, or push-rod. This engine has a lot of life left in it, and it just needs a heart surgeon that knows what he is doing to fix a bad valve, not a medical examiner that wants to do an autopsy...

I meant valve covers, remember I don't speak Spanish and I don't speak car. If I were with Attila I would be having the same problem. We would go to a house and in my best spanish I would ask how much to buy your daughters in the barn?:pat:

Well, 'tis pretty obvious I let her sit too long. Mea culpa. When we moved to this town in '04, I got very busy with other projects and just didn't keep her going. She was last used 5 yrs ago as the funeral coach for our cat, Bobbie, who passed away at the Vet's. Bobbie came home for the last time on the cot, next to the big stuffed toy cat who always rode there looking out the window. Whole lotta memories tied up in that old car. We gave Ron the 1st place DARE car show trophy she won back in Xenia in 2000, when Sharon drove her. I took the Bayliff and it got 2nd place, something Sharon likes to point out. After my Mom passed away a decade ago in Xenia, we loaded her huge china cabinet/hutch/whatever in the M-M and delivered it to our daughter in Wadsworth, OH. We hauled other furniture from time to time. The old girl was like Thomas the Tank Engine: a Useful Machine. I hope there is a whole lotta use left in her.

There is a lot of use left Jim, no matter what there is going to be. But from talking to you, what I am hearing was there was no tapping or pinging or knocking when you parked it which leads me in my limited mechanical mind to support the notion this is just some build up varnish that maybe can be knocked out of there easily. I hope to hear something this afternoon and will report then.

mostly suffering from the lack of use problem as are most of our cars. keep us up to date nothing worth have comes with out a problem or two. when the gas got so high the car was not run in favor of something cheaper. same thing I'm suffering from now.

Yahoo

I just got the call, added the seafoam, let her run, changed the oil with a can of duralube and voila! No more rattle, musta been da varnish. He took it for a spin says it is running and shifting great he will finish it up a lot sooner than later.:applause:

PS: I hate it when Steinberg is right, it almost would have been worth the cost of the rebuild for Steinberg to been wrong, but he was right, AGAIN. My mechanic is even on here now reading Steinbergs posts. Damn it!:respect:

Drive it to Piqua!

If you've been around enough engines you kind of get an ear for the bad and not so bad. Dwayne and I both thought it would probably run all right with some basic tune up stuff.

Ron left me a ph message about the good news on the engine. Has the mech checked the tranny for the leak source? It may be "shifting great" ( it always did ), but there was definitely a leak that needs fixed. All 4 now.

Yes he is planning on giving the tranny a go over as well as pull the belts and check all the brakes. It will probably be released from the hospital sometime next week so for M-M everyone will be seeing the 76. With the M-M suction cups

That's certainly a beautiful car, Ron! It brings back memories of-wow, 33 years ago right about now!!!-my dad and I bringing my black '64 M-M combo home. I bought it from the Superior dealer in Columbia, SC so we only had about 100 miles. We did stop for dinner somewhere in Columbia and on returning to the parking lot I noticed a small puddle of what turned out to be transmission fluid under my car. "Caveat emptor," my father deadpanned. In my defense, the dealer's place was almost all grass, so I hadn't noticed it. The car made it home fine and a local transmission shop said not to worry about it-just keep a pan under it and keep it full of fluid. Being my first car, bringing it home was quite exciting and memorable! I'm glad your engine problems seem minor and look forward to seeing your new car soon!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 121
What kind of cot did you have in the back Doc? Those look like some huge side rails.

Ron, this is good news, you just saved a boatload of money!

And I didn't even switch to Geico! More good news coming out of the mechanic today. The high top will be coming out with a clean bill of health. Ironically it was the healthiest yet for it's checkup so again I saved some cash, I figured it would cost me big because it always does.:peek-a-boo:

What kind of cot did you have in the back Doc? Those look like some huge side rails.

Ron, it was some kind of one level cot. The mattress had an old fashioned blue & white ticking stripes cover. I bought it from a smalll black mortuary in town and it came out of the back of their '59 M-M landau combination w/ wrap around rear corner windows. Wish I'd thought to take some photos of that one! I asked the man if he still used that car and he replied that he "sometimes will carry a box to the cemetery with it" When I sold the car in late 1978 I was away at college and my dad neglected to take the cot out:poster_oops:

Back