M is for Monday M is for Moving Day

As of 8 A.M. on M day, 'tis raining lightly in Lake Galion Be Gone, the little town that time never heard of, that the decades will never improve, where the ole combo waits patiently for the Crew From The East, the Kunkel Carriage Works still stands, and the freight trains pass the ghost of the Big Four Depot evry day.

Uh, Paul, coupla things: NO repo guys need apply here. And, about that vette......Er, no thanks. As for the Hole in the Morgue Gang, how much is the reward money? Won't even need Lord Baltimore to track 'em down, with documentation such as this. Maybe they'd better head for Bolivia now, 'fore I phone the Pinkertons. "Think ya used enuf dynamite on that there 'vette, Butch?"

The funeral home they broke into by the way! Jim, are you sure you want to get involved with a bunch of hooligans like that?

Uh, Paul, coupla things: NO repo guys need apply here. And, about that vette......Er, no thanks. As for the Hole in the Morgue Gang, how much is the reward money? Won't even need Lord Baltimore to track 'em down, with documentation such as this. Maybe they'd better head for Bolivia now, 'fore I phone the Pinkertons. "Think ya used enuf dynamite on that there 'vette, Butch?"

How do you think we got into the M-M plant that first time!!!!!!!!!:smiley3::toocool::thewave:

remember loose lips sink ships. maybe if they had not shown up with the blimp know one would have known they were in town. no wait Larry didn't show up did he. remember peopel we have to decide on a plan of action here.

Attachments

• choices.jpg
    choices.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 189
At 2:10 P.M., EDT, the '64 M-M headed East on a roll-back, with Ron and Jerry in hot pursuit. Looooooooooooong story, most of which Ron will tell. Amazingly, Tim got the car fired up, and I was able to back her out of the garage. What a day......................

At 2:10 P.M., EDT, the '64 M-M headed East on a roll-back, with Ron and Jerry in hot pursuit. Looooooooooooong story, most of which Ron will tell. Amazingly, Tim got the car fired up, and I was able to back her out of the garage. What a day......................

I was told that Ron supplied the "gas" that was used in place of starting fluid, and that is what "did the trick"......... No other details of the delivery system are known. Interested parties may contact Ron directly for this information... :stop:

Better Ron supply the gas than us. I for one was glad to see it come out under its own power. That would have been a hard push.

Video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtxQeS2UZJY[/ame]

I am sitting here watching this, but still do not quite believe it. What hath Technology wrought? I spent the 1st decade of my life in a house with no more advanced tech than electric lights and the radio. No television; not even a telePHONE, for Pete's sake. We even had a wind-up Victrola, with records by - among others - Enrico Caruso, who is on the radio as I type this, in a feature on NPR's All Things Considered. And now fast-forward to this video. Amazing. Thanks to all of you who came today to help bring the old girl back to life and document the event. And, yes, it is still raining. Ron, hope you can enjoy the big M-M for many, many years.

What a BEAUTIFUL car!!!!! Glad everyting went well.

BTW, from the looks of the weather forecast, a few minutes ago, it's gonna rain for 40 days and 40 nights..........I'm buildin' a damn boat, a BIG ONE, maybe load up lots of animals........

I am sitting here watching this, but still do not quite believe it. What hath Technology wrought? I spent the 1st decade of my life in a house with no more advanced tech than electric lights and the radio. No television; not even a telePHONE, for Pete's sake. We even had a wind-up Victrola, with records by - among others - Enrico Caruso, who is on the radio as I type this, in a feature on NPR's All Things Considered. And now fast-forward to this video. Amazing. Thanks to all of you who came today to help bring the old girl back to life and document the event. And, yes, it is still raining. Ron, hope you can enjoy the big M-M for many, many years.

It's funny Jim, on the way home I was thinking how you were busting out scrapbooks to show us pictures while I was logging onto the internet on my phone to show you pictures I took, then I get on the message board when I get home and realize we have made the same number of posts on here, even though I have a ten-month head start on you. I guess the true storytellers will take advantage of every opportunity they get.

Thanks for welcoming us into your home today. I look forward to seeing you at future events.

Home

Well we made it. I had two trailers lined up for today, the back up probably would have fit for the car, the primary didn't but the back up trailer would not have been able to come today. So Dwayne hooked me up with a roll back and we flat bedded her home. She drove on and off on her own power, not bad after a five year siesta. She had some groans and creaks and a tick. Now my mechanic Tim will take custody probably for a few weeks. We start by changing and flushing fluids, all of the belts will come off. We (listen to me) he, will check all the stuff that needs checked and fix all the stuff that needs fixed and then she will drive home to casa del ambulancia Devies for her "makeover". There was a wrapped 64 Miller Meteor cleaning kit in the rear which contained three boxes of Q Tips my favorite detail tool. I do not know if you noticed the rear grill holders but they were held on by M-M suction cups. The car came equipped with a bumper sticker that says "Real Ambulances are Not Trucks" I love it! Jerry is going to have more pictures to post here as soon as he arrives home. Thanks to Jim and Sharon Tighe, there was no doubt these two loved this car and I guarantee you I already love it. I cannot wait to drive it home and detail the hell out of it and then there will be a lot more pictures as well. Hopefully she will be all decked out in style for Pro Car Night at the Drive In Weekend. Stay tuned!

More

I also wanted to say a giant thank you to Dwayne Brooks, Todd Merrifield and Jerry Jacobson who all came to help push and Dwayne's determination not to push that got the car started and drove on it's own power. Thanks to Jim and Sharon Tighe for letting Jerry and I cool our heels while we waited for the flatbed and entertaining us with all the pro car pictures and a sneak peak at the new M-M Book.
Now here is what I know about this car. According to what Jim told me and if I get this wrong Jim, set me straight. The car was bought new by the Roberts Funeral Home in Logan, Ohio. From 1964 to 1999 it was Roberts only coach and the only ambulance in town. Jim bought the car from Roberts in 1999 and drove the car until about 2005 when he parked it in the garage and that is where it has stayed for the last five years until starting her right up today.

Todd, thank yew for the videos. I wonder what Twain and Will Rogers and Voltaire and John the Baptist would have done with this medium.

Ron, just glad you are safely home with yer prize. Pax Domini to yew all. I hope Bernie is smiling while watching all this.

See, she did get home!

Note: In one photo Ron shows the original suction cups and rear signage!

Attachments

• IMGP2861.jpg
    IMGP2861.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMGP2866.jpg
    IMGP2866.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMGP2869.jpg
    IMGP2869.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMGP2872.jpg
    IMGP2872.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMGP2877.jpg
    IMGP2877.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 183
Nothing like a good M-M adventure

Looks like you guys were having way too much fun today. Congrats again, Ron, on this sharp addition to your collection. Enjoyed the videos, photos, and updates. Can't wait to see this '64 in person, suction cups and all.

It's a good thing she was able to emerge under her own power. Did you have it figured out who was going to push and who would get to steer?

I wonder if Patrick Martin is monitoring this thread. If so, FIND THE BAYlIFF! :peek-a-boo:

Tony, I am puzzled by your "FIND THE BAYLIFF" entreaty to Mr. Martin, who, IIRC, has Bayliff No. 2. Does your post mean that the whereabouts of No. 1 are unknown? I have been afraid to ask about this, feeling that I should just let go of it all, but now that you mention it, I still wonder. Bayliff One and the M-M were stablemates for about 2 years in Xenia. In the Spring of '01, I sold B-1 to a f.d. from Detroit, and have since lost track of it, tho I think there is a picture somewhere on a Bayliff site showing the 2 cars together somewhere. Does Mr. Martin have both of them? I had a chance to buy No. 2 later in '01, but it had deteriorated quite a bit by then, and so I passed on that. B-1 was fun, but the tranny was getting weak, we were about to move, and the $$'s were needed, so I sold it. John Long drove these cars hard, and the un-reinforced drive trains and brakes took a beating from that. He told me he had gotten a ticket for doing 112 mph in No. 1 on an ambulance run. When he delivered the car to me in Dayton in '99, the brakes were very hot and smelled so, from his go-pedal/brakes, go-pedal/brakes dash down I-75. My best memory of No. 1 is driving it out of our driveway the day after the tornado dropped the big tree on it in Sept of 2000. I thought it was a goner, but it survived. Survival is a goodly thing.

Looking 4ward to seeing yew in Piqua.

Hidden Bayliff

Jim,

I am referring to the "hidden Bayliff" in this thread. In other words, a Bayliff can be seen somewhere here. Can you find it?

I am looking forward to seeing you in Piqua as well. It's been a long time...

Back