Introducing Armbruster Stageway hearses

Seems like a scary time to get in the coach business...I keep hearing how Accubuilt is on the skids, no great donor vehicles to work with, firms going to converted minivans and SUVs, and these guys build full-fledged coaches?! I do like the back corner glass, it almost lines up with the top of the taillamp...cool look

This is a much better looking and more creative design than the other attempts on the XTS. As Tony K. said it would look much better if they would pony up and make a commercial glass car instead of having that top hat/tall roof look. I don't have my books at hand but the rear quarter window treatment reminds me of some of the mid-50s cars, Superior and maybe S&S. Seems like Superior's window had more curved corners while S&S's were notched like these? The back door treatment/hinging is certainly something we're not seeing. From the looks of it my bet is it's a top-hinged European style door. The volume of the new hearse market has dropped so much it hasn't taken much to send the whole industry into a tailspin.

is it me or does the rear section of that coach ( from the rear door back) look odd ??? maybe its the picture but it looks like the rear panel is flared out a bit ??

I saw that also. It looks like the rear axle width might have been widened. Maybe the traditional width wasn't enough to put the interior styling that was needed. Looks like only the bottom portion of the body was widened though and not the whole way up.

Probably is. Remember, most of the '60s and '70s pro-cars we collect are widened in the rear.

But most of those coach companies gradually made the cars wider from front to back. Usually starting at the front of the front doors and going back. We just aren't used to seeing the flared out wheel wells like this one has.

I am glad to see a traditional, side opening rear door and not the hatch that someone mentioned. Disappointed that the quarter windows don't seem to wrap around the back very far and I am really not sure what I think of the almost full width 3rd brake light across the top. I am still on the "like the overall design" side of it.

thanks for the rear shot.

I was just thinking last night and looking at the pictures that there was no rear shot of the prototype and if you looked at the rear side windows you could not see any part of the rear door so it got me thinking either they didn't put a rear door on this prototype for display purposes or the rear door has a "picture window" for a rear window, witch now I see it does ( thats a big window ). I'm also glad to see no hatch back.

but I agree Its better looking then what the "others" are bringing out I really like the wrap around rear side windows ...nice touch

I can see some problems brewing with placement of the rear bier pin on the floor on the left. The bier pin will eventually get sideswiped by a casket as it goes into the rear, and depending on where the bier pin catches the casket, could potentially leave a mark or etching down the side of the casket... not good...

I can see some problems brewing with placement of the rear bier pin on the floor on the left. The bier pin will eventually get sideswiped by a casket as it goes into the rear, and depending on where the bier pin catches the casket, could potentially leave a mark or etching down the side of the casket... not good...

good eye Kent.....never thought of that :applause:

They were smart to preserve the side hinged rear door. That looks like a nice tall and wide door, with an appropriately tall window. I agree with Chuck that 3rd brake light is unnecessarily large, but I bet it's borrowed from some current or recent production Caddy (CTS sedan?) to save money. Hearses don't need to look like a video game when the brakes are on. If there are any expert Photoshoppers watching I'd love to see a rendition of this w/ commercial glass!

Armbruster Coach

I had the opportunity to inspect this coach in person at the Tri-State convention this week. It is very impressive! It has very interesting rear side windows that would remind you of 5O s Superior products. We have used S and S Masterpieces for decades.. and I will miss the commercial glass. This car will be a strong contender and we are seriously considering it! You are right... You need to see it in person... And this car which was built in 10 days... Will no doubt look different ... As well as being fine tuned by NFDA in Austin.

Yes! But it's all prototype! This IS exciting! Prefer Eagel and then Federal right now. But let's all give them some time and a chance!

Seems like a scary time to get in the coach business...I keep hearing how Accubuilt is on the skids, no great donor vehicles to work with, firms going to converted minivans and SUVs, and these guys build full-fledged coaches?!

I agree. Btw, here it is the middle of May and we haven't seen any XTS or MKT hearse prototypes from Rance Bennett yet. I'm beginning to think he has called it quits.

I agree. Btw, here it is the middle of May and we haven't seen any XTS or MKT hearse prototypes from Rance Bennett yet. I'm beginning to think he has called it quits.

I hope he hasn't call it quits! Have been looking forward to seeing his creations! Two of his coachs in my area now. His coachs DO look nice!

Here is a drawing of the MKT dated 2012, and the XTS dated 2013. I hope these are built, they are the best looking offerings of all the builders.
2012 Bennett Lincoln limo & landau ad.jpg

2013 Bennett.jpg

Back