Carryall ambulance photos

McDonnell Douglas Corp. (Tulsa, OK)
1969 Crash Wagon
(originally served at their Long Beach, CA facility)
Oh, thanks for posting that. I remember that, it was still at MD when I was in Tulsa ('85-'87), they were using it as a first-reponder unit at their plant. I never got to photograph it, and I haven't seen it in 25 years. As always, Steve, you are a wealth of information!

Upper Arlington, OH
1958 Ford/Siebert

(SL collection)

Nice old truck, although it could use a bit more in warning lights. I really like the treatment of the grille-mounted Q. The Iraan, TX VFD ran a '57 Ford wagon ambulance (home brew rig) that had a grille-mounted Q much like this one, except that the siren was on the left side of the grille, not in the center. Nice, Steve.

McDonnell Douglas Corp. (Tulsa, OK)
1969 Crash Wagon
(originally served at their Long Beach, CA facility)

Here is a 1992 shot of this rig, taken while in service at its second home:

Alvo Rescue Unit (Alvo, NE)
1973 SEC/Chevrolet
(originally owned by Shurtleff's in Lincoln, NE; Alvo sold it to a PCS member in MO)

(SL photos)

Thanks, again, Steve for some nice photos. I've seen pix of the '73 after the removal of the emergency equipment as pictured. First I've seen in its original state. Since you've made a number of trips into the D/FW area over the years, have you ever gotten any pix of the ambulances and/or crash-rescue vehicles at General Dynamics?

Branchville V.F.C. (College Park, MD)
1959/60 ?/International
1961/62 Springfield/International

I'm fairly sure the lowtop is a Springfield, but can't verify that they were doing ambulance conversions that early.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Branchville LT.jpg
    Branchville LT.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • Branchville HT.jpg
    Branchville HT.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,068
This is possibly a Springfield; they used these corner roof lights, and it looks like a "store bought" rig. I can't be sure without the window decals:

Gaithersburg-Washington Grove V.F.D. (Gaithersburg, MD)
1961/2 ?/International

Here's your basic "basic" warning package. While it has a partition with sliding glass, I suspect it was locally built:

Rockville, MD
1963/64 ?/International

(SL collection)

Attachments

• IH Gaithersburg Mtn Grove.jpg
    IH Gaithersburg Mtn Grove.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IH Rockville.jpg
    IH Rockville.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,064
OK, if you can stand another from MD, here's Kensington VFD's '64.

And a couple from the Washington, DC Fire Department, a '66 short wheelbase and a long '68.

All Springfields, photos from the collections of KVFD and DCFD.

Attachments

• 64SpgfldTA KVFD A59.jpg
    64SpgfldTA KVFD A59.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 972
  • 66SpgfldTA DC.jpg
    66SpgfldTA DC.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 956
  • 68SpgfldTA DC.jpg
    68SpgfldTA DC.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 999
Luckily for me, the first call I ever did was in a bonneville 64,similar to Steves,almost identical,had my boss chose to use the other vehicle,well,it was a binder I/H.that he had acquired when a local funeral home gave up the ambulance service,whats this got to do with this site,well it was "pink"not an offshade, honest to goodness Passion Pink.I am mixed if that would have left a good memory,have attempted to get a picture,but I guess no one else took a picture of "the pink lady":respect:

This girl has a Federal 66-G whistle...

Silver Spring, MD
1961/62 Springfield Deluxe (original wheelbase)

...while this one sports a 66-GH (high pitch). You can tell the difference by the stator (rotor) design on the 66s as well as the 28s.

Hyattsville, MD
1961/62 Deluxe

(SL collection)

Attachments

• IH Silver Spring.jpg
    IH Silver Spring.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 999
  • IH Hyattsville.jpg
    IH Hyattsville.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 993
OK, if you can stand another from MD, here's Kensington VFD's '64.

Bring 'em on - keep 'em comin', my friend!

The Kensington photo and the other binders I've recently posted were taken by Sidney Earle.

I really like these Fyr-Fyter Penetrator speakers. I've been looking for a nice matching siren and speaker set (complete with mike, bracket, and power plug) for quite some time now:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!oIE8VZrR0KKBPG5pZ(P+w~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!oIE8VZrR0KKBPG5pZ(P+w~~60_12.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 917
  • IH Kensington.jpg
    IH Kensington.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
1971 Internationals

1971 International/Springfield Washington, NJ
1971 International/Springfield Stewartsville, NJ
(FG photos)

Attachments

• 71InternationalSpringfieldWashingtonNJ.jpg
    71InternationalSpringfieldWashingtonNJ.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,109
  • 71InternationalSpringfieldStewartsvilleNJ.jpg
    71InternationalSpringfieldStewartsvilleNJ.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,155
1960 International

1960 International Blairstown, NJ

(FG Photo)

Attachments

• Blairstown60International.jpg
    Blairstown60International.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,779
Note the "whited" blanked out rear quarter windows which was an avalible Superior option!

I never knew that Jeremy! Great info, thanks! Does Tom's Superior book tell us about that option? If it does, I must have missed it. But if not, there is no way any book could cover every conceivable option or delete item on all the Superior products.

Abe

North Funeral Home in Abilene, TX, had a very nice '65 hightop Springfield International for a number of years, that I understand is now a "fishing wagon" at one of the owners' cabins at a nearby lake. What a shame! This nice ambulance had a C5GB siren over the cab, the front and rear tunnels and a 174 beacon on the hightop. This was one of the first hightop units to be seen in Abilene; and surprisingly was used as a backup unit to North's other ambulances: station wagons and C/B Sevilles. I've never seen any pix of the truck. Loftin, do you have any in your collection?

Received this from a friend

I tough of you when I saw this old ambulance. It is located in the old Vegas at the entrance of a restaurant called Heart Attack. It's a burger joint that claims to have the fattest burgers in the world. When you go in the restaurant they place a Johnny shirt on you and all the waitresses are dressed up as sexy nurses. I didn’t take any picture of the waitresses...sorry!

picture.php

Received this from a friend

I tough of you when I saw this old ambulance. It is located in the old Vegas at the entrance of a restaurant called Heart Attack. It's a burger joint that claims to have the fattest burgers in the world. When you go in the restaurant they place a Johnny shirt on you and all the waitresses are dressed up as sexy nurses. I didn’t take any picture of the waitresses...sorry!

picture.php

C'est bien, Jean-Marc! I've seen pictures of this one before, but didn't know who it belonged to. On the pic I had received there was a phone number, which I tried to call, but kept getting a "mail box not set up" message. It's nice to know who has it.

Here's a newspaper advertisement showing two brand new 1970 Wayne Sentinel Chevrolet Suburban based ambulances operated by the Hibbett-Hailey Funeral Home at Donelson Tennessee about 10 miles east of Nashville. Note the triple beacons, Federal Q sirens and the center hood mounted Mars FL lights. Advertisement is dated Jan. 1970. Hibbett-Hailey Funeral Home is still in business in Donelson as an SCI firm.

Photo found via Facebook.
Jeremy D. Ledford.

Attachments

• Hibbett-Haily Sub ambo.jpg
    Hibbett-Haily Sub ambo.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,624
Last edited:
Here's a newspaper advertisement showing two brand new 1970 Wayne Sentinel Chevrolet Suburban based ambulances operated by the Hibbett-Hailey Funeral Home at Donelson Tennessee about 10 miles east of Nashville. Note the triple beacons, Federal Q sirens and the center hood mounted Mars FL lights. Advertisement is dated Jan. 1970. Hibbett-Hailey Funeral Home is still in business in Donelson as an SCI firm.

Photo found via Facebook.
Jeremy D. Ledford.

Very nice setup, Jeremy. Any idea who built the trucks? When the Gordon K. Allen Co. in Dallas (Modular Ambulance Corp.'s parent co.) built hightop Suburbans from c.1970-72, the triple beacon setup was common. What you saw was the center-mounted Q with twin beacons, and quite often a pair of CP25 speakers powered by an Interceptor, over the cab and a 174 or 176 beacon on the hightop. In 1971, Sparkman-Hillcrest, one of Dallas' largest funeral home chains, netted the Dallas County ambulance contract, and their ambulances which came from GKA were set up as I described. Dudley Hughes Funeral Home in the Oak Cliff section also ran similar Suburbans.

The people who ran the motorcycle races in Lubbock for whom I provided standby ambulance service had bought the Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite during the time period. They also bought a 1965 lowtop International TravelAll ambulance from the private ambulance provider in Clovis, NM which went to the Devil's Bowl. One weekend we had no Saturday or Sunday races, so I made the trip with these guys to Mesquite. I was sent into town on an errand in the International, and had made a quick stop at Dudley Hughes' main office in Oak Cliff to see a friend who worked there. I had just left there and had made a rt. turn to get on the LBJ Freeway to head back to Mesquite when the clutch on the International went out. I managed to get off the street into the lot of a Mobil station and was able to call my bosses in Mesquite for help. But what happened next almost left me heart-sick. While I was stranded there right at the freeway, I suddenly heard sirens, and here came all three of Hughes' Suburbans. They turned west on LBJ. Then just a minute or two later, here came three of Sparkman-Hillcrest's ambulances followed by a couple of small funeral home ambulances (Pontiac Consorts) and two more ambulances from the old Dal-Worth Rescue Squad. Now, ordinarily Dal-Worth only did standby service, much like what we did in Lubbock, so I knew something was afoot. I went inside the Mobil station to get a soda and on the local TV they were already showing a multiple car pileup west on LBJ that had killed five and had injured 10 to 12 more. No wonder there were so many ambulances running including Dal-Worth's. And there I sat with a broken clutch! Turns out that the clutch problem was just a cotter pin!

Back