Carryall ambulance photos

i know that truck.

remember it well. they had a panel truck once upon a time too. and skip i remember red pancakes. in house build from one of the fireman if memory serves. they ran a full time volunteer ambulance service. we ran hot from humble to channelview to help the one lady volunteer load a 300 pond patient in there unit, but we went ahead and transported as she didnt have a clue. but back then it was better than nothing, but not much.

remember it well. they had a panel truck once upon a time too. and skip i remember red pancakes. in house build from one of the fireman if memory serves. they ran a full time volunteer ambulance service. we ran hot from humble to channelview to help the one lady volunteer load a 300 pond patient in there unit, but we went ahead and transported as she didnt have a clue. but back then it was better than nothing, but not much.

That reminds me of the days when AID Ambulance was the primary service in Lubbock. One day they passed me running hot, and as they came around me, the driver motioned for me to fall in behind and follow them. The reason: when we got to the scene I found out that they had run the call w/o a cot. Fortunately they ran the old low-boys like I had in my VistaCruiser, so there was no problem in letting them use my cot and then my following them in.

Does anyone know if this truck sold ? I had attempted to contact the auction people a few weeks ago (before the actual auction) and never heard from them.

It would have sold as it was no reserve. You have to have a password sign in for the R & S website though (and I don't have one). It was a sharp looking truck.

I probably posted a pic of my '71 Springfield Travelall Deluxe before, but here's another shot, taken today. It has been out this week for the first time in a few years. Getting it ready for a movie job next week. Today, I washed and waxed it at the firehouse. It looked so good, I had to get a picture!

Attachments

• 71TA.jpg
    71TA.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 867
181950.jpg

Mr. Loftin is correct. That picture appears on page 167 of the book "Transportation of the Injured" by Carl B. Young, Jr., published by Charles C. Thomas, 1958.

Thanks for the ID, Steve & Ken. Any idea on the coachbuilder? Seibert?

I hope those guys didn't lift the stretcher with their backs like that for real. That makes my back hurt just looking at it. :(

And some more:

198? Summers, at Summers, 1983
Suburbans_0008.jpg

1973-4 Either Prestige or Modulance, Delta Ambulance Service, Cooper, Tx., 1980
Suburbans_0006.jpg

1970? Summers, Delta Funeral Home, Cooper, Tx., 1980
Suburbans_0005.jpg

1979 Unknown, Clarksville Funeral Home, Clarksville, Tx. We borrowed this from the funeral home, put a homemade light bar on it when I blew the engine in our 1978 Dodge van.
Suburbans_0019.jpg

I missed this the first time I viewed this thread. The 1973 Suburban is an MAC Suburban Zephyr 54. If you hadn't dated the picture as 1980, I'd swear it's the same truck that I traded to Summers in 1982. Our truck had belonged to the Seagraves, TX VFD when I bought it in 1981. It was badly "cancered" where the hightop met the original roof line. That was because it had been allowed to sit outside for several months when the tranny went on it and Gaines County didn't want to replace it. The air around Seagraves has a lot of sulphur which attacked that fiberglass roof. It came from MAC with a pair of CP25s over the cab powered by a Director. Before it became disabled it was operated as a chief's car by then-fire chief Harold Welch. Harold added a Super Chief between the speakers. When the truck was retired, Harold removed the Super Chief and the county got the speakers and Director. The roof was bare except for the tunnel lights and red beacon on the hightop. I added a Q and a pair of TS100 speakers over the cab. Since I worked at a paint store and we sold auto paint I had the truck painted by a friend. I furnished the paint and supplies, and it came out looking nice. When I traded it to Summers I kept my Q and the speakers and electronic siren and put a sole Super Chief on top. I'd swear that this was the same truck!

Few examples from Montreal Quebec area:

Ambulance Lachine:

Ambulance Royale, Verdun (Montreal Island) Quebec

Ambulance Vimont, Verdun, Quebec. This one was taken in 1976, From the licence plate and the uniformized provincial color, yellow.

Back