Carryall ambulance photos

Very nice setup, Jeremy. Any idea who built the trucks? ...
Here's a newspaper advertisement showing two brand new 1970 Wayne Sentinel Chevrolet Suburban based ambulances ...
Skip, Jeremy answered your question.

Here are a pair of '60-ish Travelalls form Hamden, CT (the one in the foreground is a year or two newer, I believe). A friend from work found these photos for me. I see a single, plastic siren speaker on the right fenders. Also, I can't tell if that's an Army cot suspended over the right rear window or just a rolled-up curtain.

Attachments

• 60TAsHamdenCT.jpg
    60TAsHamdenCT.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,340
Last edited:
This 1967 International by Springfield (or at least that's what I was told it was) is currently a promotional vehicle for First Care Ambulance of Aurora, Illinois.

Attachments

• Internationals.jpg
    Internationals.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,037
Skip, Jeremy answered your question.

Here are a pair of '60-ish Travelalls form Hamden, CT (the one in the foreground is a year or two newer, I believe). A friend from work found these photos for me. I see a single, plastic siren speaker on the right fenders. Also, I can't tell if that's an Army cot suspended over the right rear window or just a rolled-up curtain.

You're right, Steve. I was so busy looking at those two trucks and the way the Mars lights were attached, I didn't see what Jeremy had written. My bad!

You know I like the '60s Travelalls. My first came was a '62 that came from Baker Ambulance in Odessa which had come from their original location in Baker, Montana. The other was a '63 that had belonged to Metropolitan Ambulance of Amarillo and was famous for being used in the "Roundup" herbicide commercials. I don't know if those commercials were used just in the southwest or if they were nationwide.

'67? Gmc

Saw this a few years ago in Victoria BC when the owner was driving around. It's an all orginal '67? GMC Suburban that was the emergency vehicle at the Hiram Walker Distilery in Kelowna BC.

Had a set of makeshift cabinets in the rear. They would put a folding stretcher on the floor if they needed to carry anyone.

2 years ago he was asking $16,000.

2 weeks ago I'm driving by the local GM/Chev dealer and here it is for sale. No price on it as yet. The owner traded it in. One of the salemen said they might detail it and send it to BJ on an unreserved sale.

Attachments

• P1100683.jpg
    P1100683.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,225
  • P1100685.jpg
    P1100685.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • P1100688.jpg
    P1100688.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • P1100693.jpg
    P1100693.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,119
  • P1100698.jpg
    P1100698.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,163
Saw this a few years ago in Victoria BC when the owner was driving around. It's an all orginal '67? GMC Suburban that was the emergency vehicle at the Hiram Walker Distilery in Kelowna BC.

Had a set of makeshift cabinets in the rear. They would put a folding stretcher on the floor if they needed to carry anyone.

2 years ago he was asking $16,000.

2 weeks ago I'm driving by the local GM/Chev dealer and here it is for sale. No price on it as yet. The owner traded it in. One of the salemen said they might detail it and send it to BJ on an unreserved sale.

You will let us know when you find a price on this baby, won't you?

Thaks for year ID Tim.

I'll check back with the dealer and see what their plans are for it.

What would be a reasonable price for this? I have no sense of value with these particular vehicles.

Stopped by on Thursday...it sold for $12,000. Buyer stated he was going to put it in the Feb BJ auction.

It showed up at the Russo and Steele auction in Scottsdale this week. We didn't stick around to see if it sold or for how much. Nice looking truck. I've included some updated photos.auctions 013.jpg

auctions 014.jpg

auctions 015.jpg

auctions 016.jpg

Marlton F.A.S. (Marlton, NJ)
1964 Challenger/Chevrolet

The MFAS did a pretty good job with the history section of their website:

http://marltonfas.homestead.com/marltonFirstAidSquad.html

This one has a higher roof than the Mendham unit, allowing the side flashers to be mounted above the drip rail. Note the plated - or painted silver - Cobra(?) siren speaker; I've never seen one like that before.

Attachments

• Challenger Marlton.jpg
    Challenger Marlton.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,330
It showed up at the Russo and Steele auction in Scottsdale this week. We didn't stick around to see if it sold or for how much. Nice looking truck. I've included some updated photos.View attachment 16835

View attachment 16836

View attachment 16837

View attachment 16838

Thanks, Kerry. This was also listed on one of the "old cars" sites last week. I emailed for more info on the truck but never heard from them. Your pix are much better than what they had posted!

'58ish L.A. County General Hospital Internationals. Sorry I do not know manufacturer.

00073085.jpg

Those aren't V platters, they're standard triangle platters. I initially thought these might have been Springfield buildups but I know now that they were locally done by Yankee Bodies. Note that these are L.A. COUNTY DHS ambulances, not L.A. City F.D., which only operated about six ambulances in 1958- a 1954 AJ Miller First Aider, a 1956 AJ Miller First Aider and four 1957 GMC suburbans by Yankee, one of which was recently sold by Todd Merrifield.

This is a Los Angeles Herald Examiner photo, accompanying an article announcing the delivery of the seven ambulances. The man on the left is Shops Superintendent "Colonel" Leonard Beardslee. The man on the right is County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn, an early champion of the Paramedicine concept. I have the driver's name noted somewhere, but it escapes me now.

Last edited:
Those aren't V platters, they're standard triangle platters. I initially thought these might have been Springfield buildups but I know now that they were locally done by Yankee Bodies. Note that these are L.A. COUNTY DHS ambulances, not L.A. City F.D., which only operated about six ambulances in 1958- a 1954 AJ Miller First Aider, a 1956 AJ Miller First Aider and four 1957 GMC suburbans by Yankee, one of which was recently sold by Todd Merrifield.

This is a Los Angeles Herald Examiner photo, accompanying an article announcing the delivery of the seven ambulances. The man on the left is Shops Superintendent "Colonel" Leonard Beardslee. The man on the right is County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn, an early champion of the Paramedicine concept. I have the driver's name noted somewhere, but it escapes me now.

Thanks, Kevin. I knew you'd know the scoop on these units. And I stand corrected on the nomenclature of the platters.

Back