Whitewall vs Blackwall

B/W versus W/W

It looks like I already answered that question about this time last year. Same answer.... blackwalls give (taxpayer owned) Ambulances the correct "municipal" look. MM

It looks like I already answered that question about this time last year. Same answer.... blackwalls give (taxpayer owned) Ambulances the correct "municipal" look. MM

Our town ambulance always had white wall tires.. :cheers:

About the only time a blackwall looks better than a white wall is when used with fancy wheels or wire hubcaps and neither is used alot on hearses or ambulances unless modified! Oooops, I said a bad word didn't I. (Modified):my2cents:

my 2 cents

I think most coaches look a bit classier with the whitewalls, whatever the width. I have never seen my coach with blackwall tires. I have seen it with 3 inch wide whitewalls and now 1 inch whitewalls.
'Working' coaches may be more correct with blackwalls but I'll vote for the whiteside tire. This is another one of those things that we can discuss and never reach a difinitive answer.
Mike
61 M-M

I am a whitewall guy! I have been putting the slightly wider 1 1/2, or so inch, correct load rated, radial tires from American Classic on my last few procars. I am very happy with the way they look and they have a decent ride too!

... And, "the other Ambulet" also was delivered with blackwalls, as indicated in the picture and article about that car in the latest issue of Turning Wheels, the Studebaker Club magazine.
But that owner has decided to go with whitewalls, for reasons only he can explain...
Oh, stab me why don'cha? ;) Yes, I can explain it. I'm cheap! The whitewalls are there because..........they came with the car. I haven't had to replace the tires, so the whitewalls stay for now. Later on, we'll see!

Hey, I coulda left all that extra chrome on it that Bingo put on, but I didn't.

I am a whitewall guy! I have been putting the slightly wider 1 1/2, or so inch, correct load rated, radial tires from American Classic on my last few procars. I am very happy with the way they look and they have a decent ride too!
Thats what I put on the 67, and other than the price, I love them. I would deffinently buy another set. There not the best riding tire in the world, but not bad either. And god they look good.:D

Josh

My 67 came original with white walls. It was used at the Chalk River Nuclear Powerplant, so I doubt it very much that they would have spent any money on extras, therefore leading me to believe that whitewall came as a standard item on this car.

picture.php

Gotta have whitewalls!!! Even my 85 Superior Cadillac FWD rides on tires with a 1" whitewall, and they are on 14" rims! Yes, 14" rims are the correct size for the coach, I still have the original rims. Pics of this can be seen in my photo album.

My 67 came original with white walls. It was used at the Chalk River Nuclear Powerplant, so I doubt it very much that they would have spent any money on extras, therefore leading me to believe that whitewall came as a standard item on this car.

picture.php

The whitewalls were an extra cost option from Pontiac, and almost every car had them even though they were an extra cost item, because of looks. Your car could have been ordered with disk brakes and / or 15" wheels. I remember seeing 1967 Pontiac's in the showroom that had window stickers that were two pages since the option list was so long. Your car doesn't show what the base model was, however, it has the trim pieces on both sides of the front license plate, which leads me to believe that it was ordered with some trim upgrades.

In MY opinion, a luxury car like a Cadillac,Lincoln, Imperial, Electra, or Olds 98 just doesnt look correct unless it has white wall tires. I was looking at the cars one day at my local Cadillac dealer and there were 2 almost identical DTS sedans next to each other, both burgundy colored cars. One had polished aluminum wheels with black wall tires and the other had chrome wheels with Vogue tires (whitewall with gold stripe). The one with the upgraded wheel package looked so much better. The guy who owns the bodyshop where my cars get fixed has a late model Deville also. He had Vogues on it and recently bought new tires and went with blackwalls; the car looks cheap now and he regrets NOT getting the Vogues again.

White walls look better

I agree with rick and several other's white walls do look better , when i worked at r.s. harper custom coach of michigan. back in the late 80's all the new conversions had vogue white walls with a gold stripe even the spare was that same tire . they where a pain to keep clean, but the owner insisted on making sure that you never curbed the limousine and if you did and could not be cleaned it was replaced these car also had those cadillac oem wire rims that where gold plated that you could only use a certain chemical on to clean them which would run down onto the white wall's making a little mess if you were not paying attention.

I am not a real big fan of the vogue tyres, but I did like the OEM gold stripe Royal Seal tires that Cadillac put on the Broughams in the late 80s.

What I really liked were the dual stripe whitewalls offered in the early seventies. Dodge actually had them on the Dynasty model in the late 80s. Chrysler Newyorkers of that era had them too.

I am not a real big fan of the vogue tyres, but I did like the OEM gold stripe Royal Seal tires that Cadillac put on the Broughams in the late 80s.

What I really liked were the dual stripe whitewalls offered in the early seventies. Dodge actually had them on the Dynasty model in the late 80s. Chrysler Newyorkers of that era had them too.

You can still get these white walls from DiamondBack Classics, not cheap but you can get them. They make the gold stripe ones also.

yes I'm saving up for them. going to get them cut into a set of 700 x15 to match up with this new spar I have. last time I checked it was 80 bucks a tire to have the writing buffed and the white wall cut in.

Back