What got you started?

Still a fantastic read !

The "face should have cracked with the smile" line made me laugh !

Be proud John, you are living the dream !
Darren

P.S. Make sure that '49 is in MN !!! Pushed, Pulled or Dragged !!!

Still a fantastic read !

The "face should have cracked with the smile" line made me laugh !

Be proud John, you are living the dream !
Darren

P.S. Make sure that '49 is in MN !!! Pushed, Pulled or Dragged !!!

You know how I usually lack a smile, I really was concerned that my face would tear LOL. One bit of info to add, that car has been purchased by a pro car collector that also has 49s from other coachbuilders! And of course, the 49 S&S I mentioned in the article I still own. Not letting this one slip away. Like a beautiful girl, the Eureka has much better curves than the S&S.

Not sure that my story's of any interest, but...

The short version for me is that I was that kid who, for whatever reason, pointed and said "ooh" whenever I saw a hearse go by, and at funerals had to be told by my parents that going over to the hearse wasn't appropriate. The short version is I never grew out of that! I know I have one family ancestor who owned a funeral home, and based on stories handed down in the family, must have been good at it as his personal car was a Rolls Royce. But he died long before I was born, so I have no first-person connection with him.

The longer story is I was at a car show while in high school, and a Henney Packard flower car was there. At the time, I had no idea what it was. I thought it was someone's custom idea of a Packard El Camino, but I didn't understand the stainless steel bedcover or the Henney nameplates on the front fenders.

I was so curious about the car that I went to my public library, and in a Packard book found reference to Henney being Packard's hearse and ambulance builder. Well the library also had a copy of "The Black Book", and I wasted no time checking it out, and then renewing the check out, while I read it cover to cover. There I not only learned about Henney, but I learned that what I had seen was a flower car, what a flower car was, and the story behind the hearse industry in general. Prior to that book, I was at least knowledgeable enough that I knew that Cadillac didn't build their own hearses, but I did not know names such as Superior, S&S, etc. I "blame" finding that book for turning my childhood curiosity into an adult interest!

At age 24, the car I had at the time, which was a hand-me-down from my mom in high school and is the only "normal" car I've ever owned, decided it was time to be replaced. Well, I decided why not look into getting a hearse. An internet search revealed a hearse dealer in my area, and also revealed the PCS. I imagine many of you had the same reaction that I did when I found out about this club, "There's other people into these cars too?!" Thanks to that internet search, I became both a pro car owner and a PCS member within a month of each other.

That car is my 1980 Superior Cadillac landau, which I still proudly own. Naturally, after joining the club, I began learning way more about pro cars than I ever dreamed there was to know, and began learning that in addition to the major manufacturers, there were almost countless other small and experimental firms that only built cars by the handful. As someone who's always been drawn to the unusual and unique, it was those cars that really caught my interest.

Well I could go on and on and turn this into a novel, but the very short version is that it became an addiction that bloomed and blossomed real well. I became a life member after only a couple years, have hosted an International Meet, and just last week I added car #10 to my collection (a milestone number!). Car #10 is also my first ambulance (and for those who know how rare and unusual my collection is, it fits right in :) ), so with that addition, I believe I now have at least one of each professional car body style except for a service car. And somehow I suspect one of those will come along eventually!

Influences

As a kid growing up in the '50's, I was influenced by the television show Rescue 8. We played with our Radio Flyer Wagon rescue trucks and responded to imagined neighborhood emergencies. I was aware of the real life ambulances and emergency vehicles of the period and thought they were pretty cool.

At some point I built some of the JoHann models and painted them to match the local ambulance service.

On to high school and the Emergency television show. This lead to college, Advanced American Red Cross First Aid, working for the local ambulance service that had Cadillac ambulances, EMT certification, and eventually paramedic certification. Then life in the big city working in Cadillacs as a medic for a couple of years before they were replaced by vans. Did a little time in helicopters too.

Then to the fire service.

Always had a fondness for the professional cars. Many years later, bought one and became aware of the PCS and this message board.

The short version for me is that I was that kid who, for whatever reason, pointed and said "ooh" whenever I saw a hearse go by, and at funerals had to be told by my parents that going over to the hearse wasn't appropriate. The short version is I never grew out of that! I know I have one family ancestor who owned a funeral home, and based on stories handed down in the family, must have been good at it as his personal car was a Rolls Royce. But he died long before I was born, so I have no first-person connection with him.

The longer story is I was at a car show while in high school, and a Henney Packard flower car was there. At the time, I had no idea what it was. I thought it was someone's custom idea of a Packard El Camino, but I didn't understand the stainless steel bedcover or the Henney nameplates on the front fenders.

I was so curious about the car that I went to my public library, and in a Packard book found reference to Henney being Packard's hearse and ambulance builder. Well the library also had a copy of "The Black Book", and I wasted no time checking it out, and then renewing the check out, while I read it cover to cover. There I not only learned about Henney, but I learned that what I had seen was a flower car, what a flower car was, and the story behind the hearse industry in general. Prior to that book, I was at least knowledgeable enough that I knew that Cadillac didn't build their own hearses, but I did not know names such as Superior, S&S, etc. I "blame" finding that book for turning my childhood curiosity into an adult interest!

At age 24, the car I had at the time, which was a hand-me-down from my mom in high school and is the only "normal" car I've ever owned, decided it was time to be replaced. Well, I decided why not look into getting a hearse. An internet search revealed a hearse dealer in my area, and also revealed the PCS. I imagine many of you had the same reaction that I did when I found out about this club, "There's other people into these cars too?!" Thanks to that internet search, I became both a pro car owner and a PCS member within a month of each other.

That car is my 1980 Superior Cadillac landau, which I still proudly own. Naturally, after joining the club, I began learning way more about pro cars than I ever dreamed there was to know, and began learning that in addition to the major manufacturers, there were almost countless other small and experimental firms that only built cars by the handful. As someone who's always been drawn to the unusual and unique, it was those cars that really caught my interest.

Well I could go on and on and turn this into a novel, but the very short version is that it became an addiction that bloomed and blossomed real well. I became a life member after only a couple years, have hosted an International Meet, and just last week I added car #10 to my collection (a milestone number!). Car #10 is also my first ambulance (and for those who know how rare and unusual my collection is, it fits right in :) ), so with that addition, I believe I now have at least one of each professional car body style except for a service car. And somehow I suspect one of those will come along eventually!

I cant believe you returned the black book :D So you did get that ambulance, that's great, glad that worked out. I cant wait to see it in person!

I cant believe you returned the black book :D So you did get that ambulance, that's great, glad that worked out. I cant wait to see it in person!

Well yes, I did return the library's copy of the Black Book, and then I walked a few blocks farther into a used book dealer and asked them to search for one for me. They did, and I remember when they found a copy, they called said "I don't know if you really want it that bad, its going to cost $75". At the time, I wasn't sure about spending that kind of money, but I said "yes". Boy, considering how that book has since shot up in price, I'm sure glad I did!

Patrick wrote:

and just last week I added car #10 to my collection (a milestone number!). Car #10 is also my first ambulance (and for those who know how rare and unusual my collection is, it fits right in.

:thumbsup:

:weneedpics_smi::thankyou2:

:dancing:

Darren

I started out loving the '55/'56 Cadillacs in high school but never figured I would get one for a project because of the prices I was seeing. Then a '55 hearse popped up in the local paper and I went to check it out. Didn't bother me that it was a hearse, just that it was a '55 Cadillac. After I got it, the more I looked at it, the more I liked the lines of a coach. There was just something about the stately feel of a procar that appealed to me and I have loved them ever since.

In January of 1954 (when I was 7 years old.... now 66)... Fallbrook, CA., the small town where I was born and grew up... the local Volunteer Fire Department had an open house to show off their (BRAND NEW) 1954 Henney-Packard Senior Ambulance... the same one we are restoring now found decades later by Tom Shafer sitting abandoned in a grape vineyard up in Napa, CA. Other than the roof mounted Federal Q and all the Unity Red Tunnel Lights, at (7) I recall that I was most impressed by the Stainless Steel Sink with hot and cold running water in the patient's compartment that I believe was unique to Henney's at the time.

This was quite an event for them as it was their (1st Brand New Ordered) Ambulance they had ever had, having older 2nd Hand Henney-Packards (a '37, '42 and '51) beforehand and a 1938 Buick Series Sedan-Ambulance I also bought from them in the early 60's when I was 15 for $200.00.

:weneedpics_smi:Darren

Hopefully the car is on the transport truck as we speak, and I intend on taking photos when it arrives. Now don't get your hopes up too high, it needs a complete restoration, but I'll give you a couple more clues as to why I deemed it worthy of saving. Until recently, none were known to have survived, it is prewar, and it is regarded as being a significant design. Even though I'm buying the car knowing that I can't give it the restoration that it deserves at the present time, I figured it was at least worth saving from an unknown fate.

Uh Oh... ugly and unfit ! Can't wait to see it ! ;)

You will still be able to admire it when it arrives. Yard art is really cool these days !

Maybe it will make it to a restoration shop with a state lottery win or if the care giver after you feels sorry for it.

Still, like you say, another one saved from the crusher.

Kidding aside, congrats !
Darren

I will not give up Patricks secret, but you will recognize it, and one appears in the black book (That will make everyone scratch their heads awhile). Im glad it is not going to someone that will hack it up. And it will fit right in at the Martin house of oddball pro-cars!

I've always loved Halloween and making costumes and I watched old black and white horror movies all the time. And when I was like 3 or 4 I had this little blue plastic ride on hot rod with flames on it, wish I had it now. I think thats what started my love of old cars. And I figured the best way to combine the things I love the most was to drive a hearse and decided I would have one some day. When my son was 9 and we needed a bigger car, my husbands 34 Chevy 3 window coupe just wasn't working out any more, I finally got my hearse. I'd love to have a whole fleet but for now I'm happy with just one.

Last edited:
I loved the Ghostbusters cartoons as a kid. So, I have to admit the Ecto-1 probably had something to do with it. But when I was a teenager I saw a picture of a hearse for sale and just loved the style of it so much... that's really what made me want to get a job and a license- the thought of buying a hearse! =)

I loved the Ghostbusters cartoons as a kid. So, I have to admit the Ecto-1 probably had something to do with it. But when I was a teenager I saw a picture of a hearse for sale and just loved the style of it so much... that's really what made me want to get a job and a license- the thought of buying a hearse! =)

The good thing is there are still lots of old hearse and some ambulances scattered across the country in junkyards that can be had and made into ghostbuster conversions.

There are those here who are against such conversions but I say if it gets them out of the junkyard and back on the road then great!

Later they can be re-converted back to an original vehicle. Id rather see a ghostbuster vehicle than to see it end up in the crusher, although now very few really end up in the crusher as the price for these older cars continues to rise.

Who ya gonna call? :D

When I was little I use to love the good humor ice cream truck and getting an ice cream treat, usually a Bomb Pop. You know the red white and blue rocket type that in a child’s small hands felt like a boat anchor and looked like a championship trophy. Oh the downside of it all by causing my clothes to become tie-dyed with the meting colors of my Bomb Pop as they ran down my arm since there was no earthly way any kid could eat that much ice cream before it melted in the summer heat.

Well as fate would have it we also lived near the local ambulance service which operated an all white fleet of ambulances. As a little kid I didn’t understand the difference between an ice cream truck or those large white ambulances and whenever I saw either, I always wanted and Ice cream.

How disappointed I was on so many occasions when seeing an ambulance driving by our house and there I was frantically waving my arms and chasing it and screaming for it to stop, only be given a smile and a wave back by the driver as he continued on his way probably thinking I was admiring his beautiful car. All I wanted was a bomb pop and would sit there crying as the ambulance just drove off.

To this day those memories are etched in the recesses of my mind and are what caused me to become hooked on large white professional vehicles. As an adult I still find myself occasionally doing a double take at times to determine if I am actually looking at a vintage ice cream truck or a vintage ambulance, but with lots of therapy and over time I have adjusted and feel confident I have learned the difference.

the-original-bomb-pop-x12.s13v2.png

Back