They're still out there!

Guys, this is great advice! Thank you! I'll definitely forward these suggestions to my body and paint guy.

Dan, great texture! It almost looks like 80 grit sandpaper in the photos, but it's nice for a krinkle top for sure. haven't seen ya since 2005 at the Petersen Auto Museum in LA! You had a '63 limo style maroon coach of some sort, didn't you? Was it a combo?

This is the option that I was exploring. Interesting stuff.

http://www.build-threads.com/general...texture-paint/

Bryan,That was my 61 S&S end loader, still got it.:) The pics make it rougher than it is, it comes out like a fine crinkle finish. Pretty close to what was on it.

Attachments

• DSC01495.jpg
    DSC01495.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 281
I've seen your coaches in person, Dan. They are to be heeded as a fine example of restoration prowess.

I'll heed your solid advice, sir!

it is a different paint to apply. thick as you can with as little overlap as possible and hit it in 360 directions to get the film thickness even. when it dries it has that sparkle of the real stuff. here are the two I used this paint on.

Attachments

• IMG_3456a.jpg
    IMG_3456a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 263
Table

Bryan, Forgot to mention I do have a table for that but only the table. All the end,side hardware was sold. One heavy piece of wood.

you need to be a site supporter to post pictures. it the only way the site has for paying the bills is selling supporters statis

Great info on the krinkle paints, gents. I'm taking my '56 Superior to my painter on Monday to have the body work and krinkle paint on the roof redone. He says the krinkle paint is available by the quart and didn't seem to be concerned with getting it...I'll ask where he gets his and pass it on.

Bryan, I found somewhere on here that you became the proud owner of the former Monocles'/Ghastly Ones' '56 Superior; what a steal at 12K! Looks like I'll have quite a bit more than that sunk into mine to get it looking equally nice. Do you know of any resources for correct restoration of a '56 Superior Landau 3-way? I've seen "Parts and Service Manuals" on eBay covering Superiors of just about every year except '56!

In particular, I'm looking for info on the interior, to find out any little pieces I may be missing, and what interior colors were available. I'm hoping to change from green exterior with green & gold interior to black with dark grey & dark red or burgundy interior.

Here's a few pics of "Lily" as I found her in October of 2012 in my little hometown in Wisconsin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbh7ukzg03taszb/IMG_0010.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrxm88hnttqxv0k/IMG_0011.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fhghbfbenilsvz/IMG_0014.jpg

Tim,

What a great find!!! Looks like the coach is all there and the green/gold color combo is something you really don't see too often!

I sold the monocles/Ghastly Ones '56 Superior last year to a funeral home in Florida and they're just about done with the frame-off resto, although the coach was in great condition when I got it. Here's a shot of the interior and I have more if you need them to help you.

Your interior looks VERY close to the interior pics that I've seen of the 1951 to 1953 superior models, although I'm no expert.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd...._=1412977487_db65900f463e65d5623a17b49317c0b3

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/580982_444319848931869_872328684_n.jpg

Do you know of any resources for correct restoration of a '56 Superior Landau 3-way? I've seen "Parts and Service Manuals" on eBay covering Superiors of just about every year except '56!

In particular, I'm looking for info on the interior, to find out any little pieces I may be missing, and what interior colors were available. I'm hoping to change from green exterior with green & gold interior to black with dark grey & dark red or burgundy interior.

Research.

Start by grabbing a reproduction '54 or '55 Superior manual (if available) in lieu of a '56 as there are merely slight changes between those 3 years. Out of print Superior book is a *solid* choice as well. Also consider starting a separate specific thread asking for '51-'56 Superior Landaulet interior captures as to not hijack this one further. I do not recall seeing changes from '54-'56 interior designs nor are there significant differences going back to '51. ('57 was revamped however.)

Unfortunate that you don't appreciate the truly unique colors of your '56, preferring all-too-common black instead. Have only seen one other dark green '56 Superior.

14750884691_e70bd9fa31_b.jpg

Research.

Start by grabbing a reproduction '54 or '55 Superior manual (if available) in lieu of a '56 as there are merely slight changes between those 3 years. Out of print Superior book is a *solid* choice as well. Also consider starting a separate specific thread asking for '51-'56 Superior Landaulet interior captures as to not hijack this one further. I do not recall seeing changes from '54-'56 interior designs nor are there significant differences going back to '51. ('57 was revamped however.)

I have most of the parts manuals from 50s-70,s as a Adobe file. Is there a site to up load large large files like this? If not send me a few bucks for postage and a cd or thumb drive ,that I can put it on. Send me a PM if you want it. 54/55 is the same parts manual.

I'll echo Attila's excellent advice here and that is RESEARCH! But, you seem to be well on your way to doing just that! :)

I've been involved in the pro-car hobby since 1998 and I STILL have so much to learn. I'm always humble about asking others' advice, especially when it comes to a new year of coach that I haven't already had.

There really is SO much to learn and enjoy about these wonderful cars.

Definitely; research is what landed me here! And resources/references are the key to research.

Curiously, Faxon Auto Literature offers reprinted manuals for '50-'53 and '57-'58 Cadillac Superiors, but seems to skip over '54-'56.

Dan, DropBox is great for uploading and sharing large files, and it's free up to 2GB (I think you get more space when others join or something, too). It must be pretty secure, too; I.T. lets us use it at work. If you have the '54-'56 Superior manual(s), I (and probably a few others) would be super grateful if you could upload them and share a link!

Attila, the dark green has grown on me since I got the car...if the paint and body were in just slightly better shape, I'd probably keep it as-is. There are some minor-to-moderate rust issues that need to be dealt with, a very large dent/crease in the left rear quarter panel, etc. Black is hard to beat for a dignified and formal look, hence its commonality on hearses and limos...and it's my favorite color. With all that said, it will be awhile before I have enough saved up for the body and paint; I might be convinced to stick with green by then!

Bryan, thanks for the pics; those will be helpful! And I hope you sold your '56 for a bit more than you paid; otherwise I'll really be kicking myself for not finding this site sooner and buying it from you!

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in, and sorry for my long-winded digression from the topic of this thread. I'll start a new one shortly, called "1956 Cadillac Superior Funeral Coach Restoration" or something similar. Please join me there!

Back