They're still out there!

Found it right down the street in a field and got it on a trade. Runs great, just a little work under the hood, minor body and paint and she hits the road!

Many thanks to Kurt Arends for helping me to score a few needed parts.

Bry

photo.php

Hey there, John!

I'll tell ya, I still have a lot to learn about these coaches, but it sure looks like the original krinkle top to me. I checked the MM plate of the wheelwell and sure enough, it said "black krinkle top" and gloss black" for the body paint code.

Sadly, the Hells' Angel who I got it from had cut a hole in the roof and installed a camper window on top. I'll have a new plate put in and see what I can do to have the painter match the krinkle top. I have a few good leads on paint and techniques that I'll bring to the painter and I hope he can match it. if it's not perfect, at least it'll be on top where most folks can't see it. if it won't work at all, I may sand down the krinkle for a smooth finish. Won't be original but it won't look bad, either.

Oddly enough, today I went to the mechanics to drop off a new fuel pump and he said that an old guy just left whose grandpa had owned it and it's quite possible that his gramps took the manual table out and still has it!

I'll keep you updated! :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....269_790021867694997_6346669299322574967_n.jpg

Dropped off the new fuel pump at the mechanics today and there's this old guy staring at the hearse.

Turns out his dad owned it through nineties and his mom is the one who made his dad paint it green before she'd ride in it.

He did. She didn't.

"Whyn'tcha come on over to the house, Bry. Pretty sure I got a few spare parts for this thing....maybe even that coffin table that goes in the back, too"

Some days the Hearse Gods just smile on a fella. :)

They did, indeed!

If I can't find the original manual table, I'll take the casters off and place a few carpeted sections of plywood in the back so that at the very least, it's functional as a sort of "cargo van".

You do what you can one nickel at a time.

Thanks for all the well wishes, gang! I'm having a blast finding parts and enjoying the process of learning more about the coach, good and bad.

You'll like this, though.

This is what's known in the car guy circles as the ol' "Susquehanna Shuffle".

I was wondering what became of the old plates on the hearse.

Today I found out.

They were stashed under the original rubber floormat to cover the hole in the floorpan.

I love this stuff. ;)

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net...=b7a82ed8512f408fee8fbf5cf976b3e4&oe=5457C09D

you can get the original wrinkle paint from Maserati. they still produce it for there engine paint. but if the patch is small enough the spray bombs from Eastwood are probably good enough.

I found this wrinkle paint on a Maserati site. I will have to dig up the site they sell it in quarts ,we used it it on the 68 and came out pretty good but ran a little on the sides so we will redo the sides. I think this the same stuff John used.

Attachments

• DSC03545.jpg
    DSC03545.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC03528.jpg
    DSC03528.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC03527.jpg
    DSC03527.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC03543.jpg
    DSC03543.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Guys, this is great advice! Thank you! I'll definitely forward these suggestions to my body and paint guy.

Dan, great texture! It almost looks like 80 grit sandpaper in the photos, but it's nice for a krinkle top for sure. haven't seen ya since 2005 at the Petersen Auto Museum in LA! :) You had a '63 limo style maroon coach of some sort, didn't you? Was it a combo?

This is the option that I was exploring. Interesting stuff.

http://www.build-threads.com/general-car-stuff/diyhow-to-wrinkle-texture-paint/

Back