'old hearse in a barn' game

this one is a national. you can read the name under the fender molding. the 52 year has the split glass and the upper door molding goes all most the complete door. along with the grill being different. 51 has a single molding on the door. we get a dead straight on side shot of the car we can pick out the way they did the doors on the national in 52. funny how the 3/4 shot is the most artistic one but the straight on side and front or rear are the only way to pick out any details. the dead give away on the nationals is there body tag on the step front side of the right rear door. you see the brass and black tag clearly when you open the door.

I would not make any bets on that one at all. from reading the new book out it could be a meteor body on any number of chassis. built by a number of different people. one would have to look really hard and do a lot of comparing. from the information in that book you can really see how inter connected the different builders were in the 20's the putting of a horse drawn body on a car chassis was vary common to. but a better picture of it will help for sure.

My guess

I am thinking an early 1920's S&S. The hole in the grille looks like the correct size for an S&S logo of that era

With all due respect, and after checking through all of the available reference sources, I'd have to take issue with identifying the old carved panel car as a Cunningham The bodywork simply doesn't match anything I've seen from this Rochester builder. There were hundreds of coachbuilders around at the time and this one doesn't really match anything Cunningham. We need more research into the identity of this car. Perhaps there's a builder plate somewhere or a chassis manufacturers plate on the firewall that we could get a picture of. Again, I could be wqrong but, I'm betting it's not a Cunningham.

No disrespect taken. Figuring out what some of these are is certainly part of the fun!

I researched all the books and scoured the internet last year when the first pic turned up. Other Cunninghams (different years, mainly late '20s) I found had identical wheels & columns carvings, with similar opera windows. Even coachbuilt.com supports this with '20-'22 updates.

Then again, here is a '24 Lincoln with identical column carvings too, which could well be a Cunningham conversion:

1924++photo+of+Lincoln+hearse.jpg

Some key elements stand out on this long forgotten Mexican coach: Compound curve fenders and radiator shell. Both are unique for the time period and will ultimately prove telling. My best guess is still a Cunningham-bodied coach, make not yet known.

More than happy to entertain others research on this! :)

What little I can see of the headlamp, it appears to be on a Pierce Arrow Chassis, but is missing the trademark radiator ornament...

Gotta' love international SMS texts, right? Update:

Current pictures of all 3 coaches have been taken. Site outage permitting, they will be posted this evening.

Some more information for the experts: What I've been referring to as the Cunningham has a Cadillac VIN plate and a V8 engine, which is also assumed Cadillac at this point - until pictures show up and we can see if it is indeed an L-Head. Owner says this coach is very original and untouched, not a retrofit engine. Couldn't find a coach builder's plate anywhere. Can this really be a Caddy..?

And the owner states that it was built in Germany - which I find *highly* unlikely.

Lower panels will need attention on the '55 Meteor.

The Poncho is in very good overall original condition, as previously thought.

All 3 belonged to a funeral home that closed decades ago and have been in storage since. And to think on a Friday night I should be going out and doing something. Ha.

Frothing. Frothing. Frothing.

Pics showed; 17 emails with ZIP files. Only a few lackluster National Pontiac pics. Let's start off with those, shall we..?

dsc03833bs.jpg

dsc03835b.jpg

Yes, they're a smidgen larger than my normal posts. What the heck. You guys are worth it. *sniff*

Next up? '55 Meteor endloader. Must admit that it is in better condition than anticipated. My Spanish is lacking. What I thought was lower rust being described was a reference to the rotted out bumper ends. I'm really diggin' this one quite a bit after seeing the interior. If I can't currently afford it, I'm sure one of you will!

dsc03881bs.jpg

dsc03882b.jpg

dsc03883bf.jpg

dsc03896b.jpg

dsc03957bt.jpg

dsc03959b.jpg

dsc03961b.jpg

dsc03960b.jpg

Time to put thinking caps on..!

Haven't received firm pricing yet; nor will I post prices in the wrong forum. Drop a line if you'd like caught up to speed. Looking into secure, enclosed, reliable, transport currently.

The poncho is a '53 correct? I had a 53 and that has the same grill as mine.

I didn't know if this had been determined yet.

GREAT FIND.......I like the Poncho.

buds
chuck

1920 Oakland carved ?

I'm taking a guess this looks like an ad I have for an old 1920 S&S and it was built on an Oakland chassis with a Cadillac powerplant. Good luck. :smileflag:

More pics showed up of the Pontiac while I was away. Since a few of you enjoying seeing the National/Barnette differences/details~

dsc03840b.jpg

dsc03846br.jpg

dsc03847b.jpg

dsc03848b.jpg

While the seats appear period correct, can they be original..?

Back