New Find

Good engine comparison there Patrick. My experience with both is the 400 tends not to hold up as well in the long haul but I didn't realize the 460 was not available in the 79 lincoln so guess I will be getting a 400 but with 36k it should be good for a while.

Danny........ you will probably sell it long before you will wear it out... Who knows, you might not own it long enough to have the oil changed.. LOL...

Hey Adam, this makes me think of something I've always wondered, what is in your car?
Josh

The 'ol Family Truckster? She's got a 390cid, quite possibly Ford's greatest achievement! This is actually my second FE 390 car. 110K miles on her, purring like a kitten, and strong enough to still leave some rubber on the pavement :D

But, I'm hoping if I'm lucky I'll one day add a 400cid sister to the family :p

The 'ol Family Truckster? She's got a 390cid, quite possibly Ford's greatest achievement! This is actually my second FE 390 car. 110K miles on her, purring like a kitten, and strong enough to still leave some rubber on the pavement :D

Speaking of the 390FE Adam, I have a complete 1964 Mercury 390FE engine i'd really like to sell cheap if anyone is interested, still all together & only missing the water pump. Also have a Merc-o-matic transmission. (will post this in the classifieds also in case this post isn't allowed)

Thats what I was thinking. Love the 390s.

Wow Dwayne, I'd love to get that motor off of you. If only you lived just a little bit closer. I'd love to replace my 302 in my truck with that. Guess I'll hold out for a 429.

Josh

Thats what I was thinking. Love the 390s.

Wow Dwayne, I'd love to get that motor off of you. If only you lived just a little bit closer. I'd love to replace my 302 in my truck with that. Guess I'll hold out for a 429.

Josh
Josh i'm no Ford guy by any means but i've been told the 390FE is a simple conversion to become a 429. If you want it we can figure out a way to get it south. Mike Stevens & I are conspiring to crash the fall meet you guys attend in Kentucky!

California delivered Lincolns I believe 77-79 only came with the 400 no 460 was available for the Ca spec cars
If this coach is a 1979 and is completely stock, it can only have the 400 motor. The 400 was the only engine offering in the full-size Lincolns for 1979.

The 400 was introduced as an optional engine for the 1977 models for the fuel-economy minded, while the 460 remained the standard engine.

For the 1978s, the 400 became standard and the 460 was the optional engine.

For 1979, the 460 wasn't offered at all.

I either own or have at least driven both coaches and normal Lincolns from 1977-1979 with both engines. Personal opinion is that the 460 is overrated. I think the only reason the 460 is the perferred engine amoung collectors is for no reason other than being able to say "I have the 460".

In my own experience, the 460 seems to have more low end torque, afterall, it was also Ford's preferred truck engine, but as far as acceleration, top speed, and performance, I think both the 400 and the 460 are pretty near identical. The one BIG difference I have between the two engines is that the 460 does have a much larger appetite for fuel.

My granddad had a 1974 Ford LTD four door when I was a kid that had a 400 in it and from what I remember about that car it was a pretty good trouble free engine in it and that thing would fly too!

Why do you all seem so willing to admit this!?!? I would think this would be one of those family secrets you'd lock up in a closet and throw the key away on! :yum:
:agree: I'll admit I owned a 76 LTD with the 400, but I only gave $125 for it, we drove it home, and I sold it for $250 about a month later to someone who used it for a dimolition derby car. BTw, it was on its last leg by the time I sold it. I watched it run in the derby, and it made it half way through the first round before it gave out.

Josh

Back