Coaches and Rust

So I will hopefully be in the market for an old Cadillac Hearse soon. I have read that ALL of the old hearses are prone to rust in the coach area because none of the coach manufacturers applied any sealant to the coach.

Firstly is this true?

If so, then with this in mind is it realistic at all to expect to find a 60s-70s hearse with no rust, and especially no rust on the underside?

Also do you try to avoid driving these in rain or wet conditions to try to yield rust?

You will find these cars in every condition as any other car.

Location, care and it's past will determine it 's condition.

Try to find a southern car if you are looking for a "rust free" car.
Expect to pay large dollars for a so called car.

Just like any other car, the nicer it is the more it costs as the demand is greater.

1960s and 1970s cars are harder to find in decent condition and are rising in value.

Driving in the rain is sometimes unavoidable but most people with incredible cars do not take them out when it is raining.

One thing I recommend as it sounds like you are new to these cars... buy something running and driving in the mid 90s for about 5000.00 as your first hearse.

You can find decent ones out there and they will be cheap to fix and get great gas mileage unlike a older hearse.

Don't buy a project as it will be one for the rest of its life unless you have lots of money to waist.

Darren

I agree. Pay more and get something done or close to being done. A project car will cost far more to fix than one already done unless of course you find something that you truly love. And if you're going to doing any repairs, do it right up front the first time. Just sanding and putting a slater of bondo on it to look good for a year is not the way to go. Trust me on this.

Issues with old coaches is they were washed, used on a slow driving service, then put away wet. Not a good combination.

Good luck....

I have to disagree with Darren on the Southern cars. Buy one from the Southwest, if you do not want rust. Cars from the Southeast rusted out as badly as any from the Midwest because of water getting into the doors and interiors. Coaches from the high plains are probably the best as they will have little or no rust and can have awesome interiors, unlike those from the Southwest.

I actually live in the Midwest myself but I am hoping to get a custom cover to keep it out of the elements as much as possible. My plan is to wrap it, and I'm hoping to find a 68 specifically, but I will settle for something else. No later than 76 though.

I've given myself a budget of 10k for this initially

5k budget for a vehicle
4k for wrap
1k for cover

This 73 has spent most of its like in the southwest. Mostly covered and the interior survive pretty nice ,Paint has died because of the sun exposure. Fixing a few things and will be putting it in the for sale section if anyone is interested in this style.Thanks:)

Attachments

• DSC02389.JPG
    DSC02389.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC02392.JPG
    DSC02392.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC02394.JPG
    DSC02394.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC02408.JPG
    DSC02408.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC02421.JPG
    DSC02421.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 259
Dan that is way to nice to anything but light sand and rub. you can't remove the laquer checks that way but you can sure make them worth looking at. my 72 is in the same boat.

but to get back to Blake you can find quality good condition cars any were. they all rust given the nature of different manufactures each different manufacture will have different places that they are pone to across that set of modals. top like cars have there problems as to bottom line cars. most of the problems are associated with the liberal use of undercoating and the properties that product has when it ages. you can say that certain manufactures have inherited problems due to there construction techniques and certain places in the united states either adversary effect this problem or not.

the truth is all you need to be is a tire kicker not a key tripe to find the car you need . one on e-bay right now for under a grand out of the sand hills in western Neb. should be just what you want from my understanding of your looking for a advertising car.

mid 60s are no more trouble then late 60s, the 429 is a good running engine I have had 472s that were junk. a car is a car each of us likes one over the other for reasons known only to them. go kick some tires with the understanding they are all money pits. triple that to a money crater if you need to hire your work done. no matter what you get there will be people that think you stole it and people that think your tossing you money away.

but no one can pick out a car for you but you.

Dan that is way to nice to anything but light sand and rub. you can't remove the laquer checks that way but you can sure make them worth looking at. my 72 is in the same boat.

but to get back to Blake you can find quality good condition cars any were. they all rust given the nature of different manufactures each different manufacture will have different places that they are pone to across that set of modals. top like cars have there problems as to bottom line cars. most of the problems are associated with the liberal use of undercoating and the properties that product has when it ages. you can say that certain manufactures have inherited problems due to there construction techniques and certain places in the united states either adversary effect this problem or not.

the truth is all you need to be is a tire kicker not a key tripe to find the car you need . one on e-bay right now for under a grand out of the sand hills in western Neb. should be just what you want from my understanding of your looking for a advertising car.

mid 60s are no more trouble then late 60s, the 429 is a good running engine I have had 472s that were junk. a car is a car each of us likes one over the other for reasons known only to them. go kick some tires with the understanding they are all money pits. triple that to a money crater if you need to hire your work done. no matter what you get there will be people that think you stole it and people that think your tossing you money away.

but no one can pick out a car for you but you.

I do not see this ebay listing you speak of. Was it in the cars section or classified weird?

Sorry should have clarified that. I have a few things to finish and once done I,am going to post it for sale in the for sale section here at the PCS site.

Last edited:
No problem, I was actually referring to John. I wasn't sure if when he said "one on e-bay right now for under a grand out of the sand hills in western Neb" If he was referring to an actual listing or just giving a theoretical example.

I agree that you can find a coach with little, or no rust. Where I have a different opinion is where you find them. I have seen what I would call rust-free, or close to rust-free coaches and cars in general from almost anywhere, if they were well maintained and even in snowy climates, if they were either not used in Winter, or thoroughly cleaned after use. These cars might be rare, but they exist. It might surprise you to know that I have personally sold antique cars to buyers in California, crazy right? I was very surprised the first time I sold a New Jersey car to someone in California, after all, everybody wants a California car, right? What this says to me is that not every California car began its life in California. So, I think every car is an individual and should stand on its own merits. Good luck Blake, you will find the right coach!

I've seen this one quite a few times for sale:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5510307613.html

At first glance body appears to be pretty straight, not sure if there is something going on with the hood though. All that rust though scares me. Is it advisable to run away from this, or is sanding down all that rust too much for a novice?

Have someone look at it for you if possibble or get a ton of pics .

Sorry should have clarified that. I have a few things to finish and once done I,am going to post it for sale in the for sale section here at the PCS site.

Now that black vinyl will sear your ass in the heat of the Summer!! Won't want to leave that one sit outside too long!

Beautiful M-M Dan!!

If you are going to wrap the car you don't need to worry about the paint if it is faded or scratched a little.

Wrapping a car for advertising or a hunted house isn't really this clubs cup of tea.

Your 1k for a car cover is twice what a good one will cost at California Car Covers for a custom made one to fit your actual car. That will free up 500.00 in your budget.

Not sure why it has to be a '68 if it is going to loose its identity being wrapped anyway but that is your choice for whatever the reason.

5000.00 for a '68 in nice condition will be hard to find in my opinion.

Darren

Have someone look at it for you if possibble or get a ton of pics .

I emailed the seller on that ad asking about the state of it mechanically and if there was rust on the underside or any other damage to the body/windows. I got a pretty short response:

"It needs a complete restoration the transmission it goes into gear fine but everything needs to be gone thru if you want to look at it its located in Ruskin call my husband"

I probably wont call about it. It seems like more work than I could handle.

If you are going to wrap the car you don't need to worry about the paint if it is faded or scratched a little.

Wrapping a car for advertising or a hunted house isn't really this clubs cup of tea.

Your 1k for a car cover is twice what a good one will cost at California Car Covers for a custom made one to fit your actual car. That will free up 500.00 in your budget.

Not sure why it has to be a '68 if it is going to loose its identity being wrapped anyway but that is your choice for whatever the reason.

5000.00 for a '68 in nice condition will be hard to find in my opinion.

Darren

Its not just for advertising, but also for outreach purposes with my radio station. Thats good to know about the cover price, I had based the 1k on the superweave premium from california car covers.

It doesnt have to be a 68, that is just the year I like the best mainly because I like the stacked headlights of the 60s, but I also prefer a 472 engine. Its not a deal breaker, but if I happen to find a 68 then thats great, if not I am fine with something else.

The reason I've decided with wrapping instead of paint is because when compared side by side, a wrap not only costs less, but is more durable, easier to maintain and also serves to protect the surface underneath. I see alot of gravel trucks here in Oklahoma, a piece of gravel may chip that 10k paintjob, but a vinyl wrap wont be damaged so easily.

I initially wanted to go the route of a custom paint job, but when I weighed the cost, risk and longevity I decided on the wrap.

I have to agree on a '68. I had one and loved it. The 472 is killer and no smog on it in '68.

I would still suggest a '93-96 as they are coming out of service, easy to fix, parts easy to find, great on fuel and will cost way least in the long run.

Just my opinion, do as you want/can.

What message are you trying to send with "outreach / hearse" ?

Darren

WellI own a radio station called Reanimated Radio that specialized in Christian metal. The hearse will bear our logo and also have some biblical themed artwork to illustrate various concepts such as being "dead to self" or being renewed (reanimated).

No it will not be a perky jesus-mobile but the artwork will still have a darker theme. Its an idea I've been kicking around for about 12 years, so I've had that long to become obsessed with owning a hearse. I don't just want it for this though, I also want one because I personally want one :D

Back