Abandoned Funeral Home with hearse in it

if you google "Abandoned Funeral Home in Jacksonville FL" there is a newspaper article about this place. Seems that the firm was bought by another firm, and they moved to another location.Just shut the doors on this place and walked away

There has to be more to this from a business and legal standpoint. Just walking away from the FH makes no sense at all. The amount of money left is staggering no business person in their right mind would do this. It could have been simply closed a public auction held and thousands realized. I am sure many of the FDs on this site can estemate the value of whats there (before nature and vandals set in) better than I but I will wager it was high. It will be interesting as Paul Harvey used to say to "Find out the rest of the story".

There has to be more to this from a business and legal standpoint. Just walking away from the FH makes no sense at all. The amount of money left is staggering no business person in their right mind would do this. It could have been simply closed a public auction held and thousands realized. I am sure many of the FDs on this site can estemate the value of whats there (before nature and vandals set in) better than I but I will wager it was high. It will be interesting as Paul Harvey used to say to "Find out the rest of the story".

I've seen several "walked away from" funeral homes over the years...what a shame.

Someone really needs to call the fire marshall and city code enforcement on this property!

Don't do it just yet a few of my FD's are headed there this weekend to scope it out. This is another closed funeral home in Flint and this owner walked away from it. The building was still fairly nice until it closed and the vandals got inside. Brady probably knows more about this place and the knows/whys as to why Collins walked away. He did not leave any caskets in the building but did leave a Chevy Chevette in the garage.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5o4-A-17xE[/ame]

Don't do it just yet a few of my FD's are headed there this weekend to scope it out. This is another closed funeral home in Flint and this owner walked away from it. The building was still fairly nice until it closed and the vandals got inside. Brady probably knows more about this place and the knows/whys as to why Collins walked away. He did not leave any caskets in the building but did leave a Chevy Chevette in the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5o4-A-17xE

In talking with a Sheriff Sargent she says if by chance we're in the building and the police show up at worse they will ask us to leave and maybe gives us a trespassing citation. But the only reason the police would show up is if someone were to call and the chances of that are slim.

So off we go once again....:D

Words of advise from long time trespasser. Do not park vehicles on property and not directly out front on street. Keep a low profile. If asked by locals what are you doing? Reply checking out property thinking about making an offer to purchase. This will usually send the curious away without the cops being called Good Luck with your safari.

Would it possibly be they fear someone will buy it make it a funeral home again so to avoid the competition threat let it fall into such disrepair and take the loss as a tax writeoff????

A good point but still why leave caskets and furnishings to rot? So far as a FH coming in goes sell it with a deed restriction that it can never be used as an FH end of problem. Still before going down hill would have been a great catering hall or night club. Like I said lets hear the rest of the story

Words of advise from long time trespasser. Do not park vehicles on property and not directly out front on street. Keep a low profile. If asked by locals what are you doing? Reply checking out property thinking about making an offer to purchase. This will usually send the curious away without the cops being called Good Luck with your safari.

A clip board and a hard hat make for good camouflage too. :cool:

A good point but still why leave caskets and furnishings to rot? So far as a FH coming in goes sell it with a deed restriction that it can never be used as an FH end of problem. Still before going down hill would have been a great catering hall or night club. Like I said lets hear the rest of the story

As with all real estate, it is location, location, location. I'll bet that this is in a bad location, that doesn't lend itself to being rehabilitated, and that is why they built a new facility in another part of town.

Kind of makes you wonder if this is the result of some "legal battle" and one party says something like " I would sooner let it rot than let xxxxx happen"

Think I will try a nexus search to see if there are any lawsuits.

A clip board and a hard hat make for good camouflage too. :cool:

If you go that route when visiting abandoned places, print out some official looking sheets for your clipboard, something like this:

asbestos-removal-checklist.jpg

Asbestos inspection, abatement, or hazard assessment forms are generally enough to convince anybody that isn't a conscientious public servant that you are OK to be there.

I will start a collection on this site to cover bail, court costs and fines...:D

Agree, also, with Peter; No matter what, do not 'help yourself', as we see this all the time in FL.- as a aftermath of hurricanes- when a bldg. comes down, folks just can't go in and take what they want.
This looks like a 'honey hole' for Funerary but, after filming or taking photo's, I would suggest approaching the owner(s) with ca$h and offering to 'bundle' buy.
Lying to the Police is actually an offense. You could leave in cuffs.
If the building caves in on you, it's posted and you have no recourse.
Gosh, I feel like your Father, LOL.

Just wear a hard hat and, if anyone asks, say that you are a prospective buyer. That way you are not lying about who you are or what your intentions are.

I totally agree with Kerry on leaving things where they are. If interested, don't just inquire........ make an offer! Tell the owner that you saw video footage of the interior on the internet! That may scare him into selling some of this stuff! But, whatever you do, DO NOT tell the seller that you were in the building!

How about I'll leave your stuff alone, you do the same for mine. The owner my be a mental case but here in the good old USA it's not agents the law to be crazy. Trespassing is. As is helping your self because they went using it.

The good old days of scrounging in the dump for greasers is past in most places. But I can remember bringing home more then I took out a few times.

I have to stop using that touch screen with the automatic spill check. it just doesn't work for me. good luck Richard remember you know a couple guys that will tell anyone that asks what kind of guy you really are.

Back