what to do about Oil ?

I have been thinking ( again) should I change over to using Synthetic Oil in the 1987 4.1 ot leave the connventional oil in it ???

some of my friends say change over you won't have to change oil as often and the engine will run cooler, while some guys say stick with the old and just change every 5,000 kms with new filter

I was always told if the engine has never been rebuilt don't change because the seals will leak the new thinner oil ??????

what to do ?? what to do ????

your thoughts

You are never going to get the full benefit out of a synthetic oil, so save your money, and use conventional oil. The belief that it is thinner, and will leak out the seals is an old wives tale. If it does leak, then the seals were in poor condition to start with, and the conventional oil will also leak out. You should change the oil once a year, even if you don't drive the vehicle very often. This will remove the moisture and acids that form in the engine oil from the effects of combustion, and the moisture is a result of warm and cool moisture laden air condensing inside of the engine block.

Everything Paul said. I use Valvoline 10-30 VR-1 racing oil. It has ZDDP, a high zinc and phosphorus content. That helps the oil to stick to metal parts while sitting and not running for long periods of time.

changing oil

Mike,
More years ago than I care to remember the discussion was about whether to change to detergent oil from non detergent. I told you it had been awhile.
A representative from Marathon gave a seminar at a club meet(there was no PCS at that time) about oils. With today's synthetic oils I think his opinion holds true. The Marathon Co word was that there was no problem changing from one oil to the newer type. The reps idea was to stick with what you were using until a tear down and rebuild. Then change to the new type oil. Most of us do not drive our coaches enough to get the full benefit from synthetic oil.
You did see Paul's note here, right?
Mike

Religiously exchanging (or at least draining and refilling) the coolant every two years will do more good for the 4100 engine than switching oils.

Ya I know all about the cooling issues with the 4.1 I already change the coolant every 2 years now Brad.

thanks to you guys for your comments its true it doesn't make sense to waste my money on the oil....stick with what I'm using now.

thanks guys

I changed all my cars, including my funeral home fleet, to synthetic oil a few years ago. I buy it by the case at an auto supply store (20 cases at a time). I ask for a special price and they give me a deal, usually cheaper than regular oil. The only issue is with antique engines, I need to make sure that the synthetic oil has all the stuff that my older engines need. My older engines in the Packards do not have oil filters (not offered until 1939) so I want a good quality engine oil. I have had no problems since switching.

Opinions............

From Eric the Oil Guy.. No idea about his credentials...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshd7WR-a6I[/ame]

From a manufacturers perspective...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5SngB0mAUQ[/ame]

Amsoil Information Series - Synthetic Oil Basics
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tVQBB_MSg[/ame]

Royal Purple Synthetic Oil Explained

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA[/ame]

Newer engine oils have reduced amounts of anti-scuff additives due to their ability to affect Catalytic Converter function on the newer cars and trucks. This translates into accelerated wear of camshafts and lifters on flat tappet equipped engines as most of the pre 1990's engines were equipped.

While I won't get in the debate of conventional vs. synthetic oils, the only point I want to make is that it is important to use a oil designated with high anti-scuff additives like Mike pointed out in an earlier post.

Valvoline VR-1, Driven (previously Joe Gibbs brand oil) and others designated as for classic car use are the way to go. "Normal" synthetic oils are not in this genre and neither are Diesel oils ANY LONGER. In the late 90's Diesel oil was the panacea, but due to the particulate traps and Cats on '08 and later engines this is no longer true.

Harley Davidson used to state that Diesel oils CLOSELY met their requirements and could be used as an acceptable substitute for their approved oils a few years ago, I do not know if this is still true today as my newest bike is a '02.

Just some food for thought.....

I forgot to mention that this oil issue started to appear in the late 90's, Car and Driver had a article based on an interview with an oil engineer on this subject.

oil

im an old note dealer(used cars and I carry the paper) and ive changed oil on litteraly hundreds of cars and if they had syn. in them I would not know so I buy 10w40 Pennzoil and run it in all the cars I buy and own except for the new cars at home and I do run synthetic in all of them. never had a oil problem to speak of. I change oil and all filters on all the cars and trucks I offer for sale and Pennzoil has been ok. but, I buy lucas oil treatment by the gallon and mix it with all my personnel vehicles as it is magic in a bottle as far as im concerned. as well as the fuel treatment. love it.:my2cents:

everything I own except my new GM has the fleet service oil in it. it's a 15-40 oil destined for fleet use covers conventional and diesel service. Rotella 15-40 will pour out of a quart bottle left out side the door step at 20 below were 10 -40 would not even spoon out. good enough for me. get it anywhere for any number of prices .

15-40

everything i own except my new gm has the fleet service oil in it. It's a 15-40 oil destined for fleet use covers conventional and diesel service. Rotella 15-40 will pour out of a quart bottle left out side the door step at 20 below were 10 -40 would not even spoon out. Good enough for me. Get it anywhere for any number of prices .

yes sir your right about the oil. But here its really hot and humid so we try to run 10-40. Can't wait till winter. Thats February to us. But still run 10-40.

yes sir your right about the oil. But here its really hot and humid so we try to run 10-40. Can't wait till winter. Thats February to us. But still run 10-40.

true, but they have been playing around with the 10-40. the fleet oil is still the same and it's what everyone has in there diesel truck down there also. been there in winter I froze my Henney off you guys have cold winters. been threw two very bad winters in my life one was in Beeville TX the other in LA, Calf. I'll take a few days of snow any time over what you have down there.

Ive run Havoline 5-30 in my 85 Superior for the 13 years and 110,000 that Ive put on it since then (car now has just a few miles under 183,000) with no problems. The first time Ive ever heard of changing the coolant every two years is when Brad Ross told me this weekend. Im way over due on that one, last time I did that was 2006 when I put in a new radiator. Just topped it off when needed.

Back