What is your favorite ProCar of all time ?

I have to say if I could only have one the 64 Eureka high boy in the McDonald's collection would be the model that inspires me. just enough flash but not gaudy, and that natural wood cabinetry inside is beautiful. so one like it would be nice, I would never lust for another mans car.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 447
I just bought my first Pro-Car ( 1987 Eureka Cadillac Concours landau Endloader Hearse) a few months ago and have yet to drive it. But I'm with you Darren....... 1960 Eureka Cadillac 3-way Landau Hearse.

but then again anything made by Eureka....I'm a big fan of Eureka including (Eureka McPherson era)

Last edited:
I love my 61 ,but would probably sell / trade for a 60 Crown Limo Style 3-Way .

Ha! As you may know, I've been tracking '60 Superior Crown Royale limos down since '95 and can account for 9 remaining. None are sideloaders. Great choice; tough order to fill. Of course there are more out there...somewhere. As limo style sideloaders were most popular in Mexico and the Phillipines - those are good places to start. ;)

Stimulating question Darren and interesting to see what resonates with others. I do have information on a '60 Eureka Landau (end/sideloader unknown for now) that has been off the radar out of the elements since the mid-'70s. There is also a '60 Eureka Landau sideloader missing table off the radar in the Atlantic region. And perhaps Darlene Daniels will chime in on her '60 Eureka Landau found near Dallas just last year - which has since been sold.

For Kevin...

Here is a 1938 Cadillac limo sitting in a car dealership two miles from me. Not a V16, but still very nice with only 27,000 miles. My favorite would be 1955-56 Cadillac anything.

Attachments

• 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 461
Well its one i have driven a 1976 Moloney Cadillac Embassy Limousine its based off the Cadillac factory 75 series formal landau limousine maybe someone can find me a picture

Last edited:
I have to say, "I own my favorite Pro-Car". But If I could ever get my hands on a Criterion..... just kidding.

Attachments

• Picture076.jpg
    Picture076.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 454
I personally don't even have to think about what my answer to this question is, the Bayliff Packard combos!

When I was in high school, a fella in my hometown had a Bayliff Packard sedan that he drove regularly during the nice weather months. Being interested in old cars, I immediately recognized the various Packard-inspired modifications on the car, but also recognized the basic shape of the Cadillac body shell. When I finally managed to catch up with the car in a parking lot and get close to it, I found the Bayliff Coach Corporation plate on it, and it was easy to figure out that some company was building their idea of a modern Packard.

Fast forward to the first PCS International Meet I ever attended, which was Lebanon, Missouri, in 2000, if I remember the year correctly. Anyway, the club store had all the back issues of The Professional Car out on display, including an early issue that had one of the Bayliff Packard combos on the cover. I literally stopped in my tracks, and I think my mouth may have even dropped open, as I grabbed that issue off the table and began reading the article. I had had no idea that Bayliff had built any pro-cars until that moment, and I instantly thought "now that would be the car to have!" But, reading that only two had been built, secondary thought was "but I'll never see one."

Well fast forward again a little bit, and one showed up on eBay. I could go on and on with all the details about me acquiring it, but long story short, it seemed that I was one of very few people, perhaps even the only one, who actually knew what it was. Well it was a reserve price auction that ended without the reserve being met, in other words, a no sale. I contacted the owner afterwards just to ask what became of the car, and was not expecting him to say, "I still have it, and I've lowered the price." Naturally, I had to ask what his new price was, and when it turned out to be a figure that I could afford, my next remark was, "I'm coming this weekend for it!"

Even though 2011 will mark the ninth anniversay of me purchasing that car, there are still days when I open the door to my garage, see it sitting there, and a wave of disbelief washes over me that its actually sitting in MY garage.

Sometimes dreams can come true!

Ha! As you may know, I've been tracking '60 Superior Crown Royale limos down since '95 and can account for 9 remaining. None are sideloaders. Great choice; tough order to fill. Of course there are more out there...somewhere. As limo style sideloaders were most popular in Mexico and the Phillipines - those are good places to start

I know of one it came from Utah and was sold here in So Cal a few years ago,just could not swing the cash at the time. But I know where it is so you never know.

That's not fair Darren!!!

Maybe if you said, "what's your favorite Pontiac," or, "what's your favorite Miller Meteor," or, "what's your favorite lowtop ambulance," but to pick one, and only one car, from all pro cars ever made!?!?

:smiley_w_ballbat:

I guess if I had to pick something, this would be one of my favorites of all time...

A 1939 Rolls Royce Wraith with coachwork by Alpe & Saunders. Sold in Missouri in 2009 back to a funeral home in the UK, that put it back into service.

Attachments

• 1939 Alpe & Saunders Rolls Royce Wraith 1.jpg
    1939 Alpe & Saunders Rolls Royce Wraith 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 337
Dang it... :mad:

I just remembered the early 1930's Cunningham Cadillac carved panel hearses with the arched cathedral roof and town-car style open driver's compartment. I don't have a picture of one, but that beats out the Rolls Royce, and now I can't go back and edit that post...

If anyone has a picture, can you post it?

And I don't like this topic Darren, it's stressing me out!!! :stars:

:071:

I know of one it came from Utah and was sold here in So Cal a few years ago,just could not swing the cash at the time. But I know where it is so you never know.

Verrrrrrrrry cool Daniel! I'd love to see it.

Lost track of one from Utah in '01, owned by an aftermarket Harley shop. White (light blue maybe - lost the pic in an old computer), missing skirts, ran well, light bodywork started, no rust. Interior was in shambles. Long story short...sold on eBay for about $7100. I recall this '60 Crown being an endloader though. Same coach?

Still having difficulty answering the 'favorite' question. Eh.

I took the picture that Patrick Martin saw on the cover of that old issue of TPC. Twas in front of a church in St. Marys, Ohio. A decade later I bought the 1st of the 2 cars, and later sold it to a f.h. in Detroit. Later, I had a chance to buy the 2nd one, and test drove it twice, but there were too many things wrong with it by then, and I thought the owner's attitude unreasonable, so I am glad I did not buy it.

My No. 1 choice would be a 1946-47 21st Series Henney Packard 7-passenger sedan, like the one I had back in the mid-'60's. My all-time favorite car of any kind.

My all time favorite would be a 1972 Cadillac Superior Hightop. Just like Jim Staruk's. I've seen it in person and I love it. My 1963 Superior Hightop is a very close second.

Lost track of one from Utah in '01, owned by an aftermarket Harley shop. White (light blue maybe - lost the pic in an old computer), missing skirts, ran well, light bodywork started, no rust. Interior was in shambles. Long story short...sold on eBay for about $7100. I recall this '60 Crown being an endloader though. Same coach?

This was a Limo Style Electric 3-Way with levelizer , the pump was gone but the rest of it was there and it had just came from a funeral home in Utah.

After consulting my Black Book and lusting after nearly every car (just as I always do every time I open it!!) it basically boils down to the first one that always pops into my mind.
A 1960 Eureka Landau three-way.
for me it's really the curve of the rear roof/door that seals the deal for me!!
just Love it!!

Dana Bennett.
Forestville, NY

Thanks to everyone who has been "Stimulated" and "Stressed out" recalling all the cars you have seen in the past in person, in books and in photos trying to come up with your favorite ProCar ever.

It is a very difficult thing. Almost like picking a favorite child. Almost impossible !

But there are a few out there like myself who have seen LOTS of cars over MANY years at PCS and car shows and have been able to say...
THAT'S THE ONE ! Really great to hear everyone's stories.

Attila...
Please keep an eye open for those cars you are talking about ! Thank you !

Incredible how you scout out all these cars and parts, photograph them, document them and remember all you do ! Way to go man !

Patrick...

I have to say that your story was a joy to read ! Outstanding !

Your last comment... Dreams do come true ! ...is absolutely true !

I guess what hit me most with your story is... The part about you owning your car for all these year and it still amazes you that it is actually yours !!!

I know exactly how you feel !!!

I still can't believe I have actually own my 2 1962's !
For the first year after buying the '62 landau, I was in shock and was wondering when I would wake up and the dream would be over.
Well, like I said, Dreams do come true !

I waited 15 years... I never gave up... then I had one !

Everyone...

Please keep thinking what your favorite ProCar is and post so we can hear your stories.

If you have been looking for a certain car for a while now, post those stories too.

Thanks again !
Darren

I have to say if I could only have one the 64 Eureka high boy in the McDonald's collection would be the model that inspires me. just enough flash but not gaudy, and that natural wood cabinetry inside is beautiful. so one like it would be nice, I would never lust for another mans car.

Ed, Thanks for those great pictures of the restored '64 McDonald Highboy. I saw that car years ago in Carl Woerner's showroom before the restoration and it was very impressive then! I believe Carl told me that is the ONLY 1964 Highboy that was built, so be careful about that lusting, hahhah!

Darren, this is certainly a difficult question since I've been admiring professional cars for over 30 years now. The class and styling of those luxury cars of the 30s and early 40s; curvaceous lines, fins, and chrome of the 50s (especially those '59-'60 Eureka back doors); angular styling of the 60s; and on and on. I think finally that the ONE I'd choose would be the '72 Superior Cadillac 54" in my garage. I like all pro cars, but hightop ambulances were really what first caught my eye as a kid. The few that I came across around here growing up were worn out and in sorry shape. I'd given up on finding a nice original one, so when I found my '72 I was kinda like Patrick when he found a Bayliff! I'd had two combinations by this point, but when I first saw my '72 my thoughts were "man this thing is BIG and so......RED!!" I couldn't believe it was in like new condition. After I'd had it a while I realized that 1972 was a "high water" year for Superior with the maximum amount of body ornamentation: last year of the stainless band over the roof and three "raindrops" on the D panel with the angled chrome cross-along with the beautiful '72 Cadillac styling. I feel very lucky to have this car.

Back