What do you think of these wheel/tire combos <pic>

I'm sure they were offered just not a lot of people opted to spend the money on them. how about the red one with the yellow wheels?? back then if I remember right it was a least 5 bucks a tire extra for the white walls. that's 20 buck for the set. better then a full days wages for a working man. in the late 60s when I worked in a gas station we carried about 50/50 white and black walls. now try to find one with out reversing the raised letters to the inside. not a lot to choose from is there either way

It might be fully restored, but pick ups in the 1950's didn't have white wall tires... Neither did Cadillac ambulances of the 1950's & 1960's. Now that I have said that, I am certain that someone will come up with an ambulance picture showing white walls, but it is the exception, rather than the commonplace.

Whitewalls were available (optional, at extra cost) on most pickups as well as all procars of the period.

My choice isn't on the list Todd...

3710774339_b8027aec7f_b.jpg

Narrow whitewalls & steelies just don't look right in my opinion, the size of your ambulance dwarfs the wheels. Maybe if they were wide whites in a bigger diameter tire? I don't know but if you're going to run steelies the full trim rings look the best. Understood you're working with what you have in the shop though & no offense intended.
:myopinion:

Personally, I got to go with this style as well Todd.

Well, provided I have the time and energy to take the billet wheels off after Goodguys and before the PCS meet, this looks like the combo I will be going with:

gmcnoww1.jpg

gmcnoww2.jpg

Ugh, cell phone cameras. forgot to wipe the pocket schmutz off the tiny lens before snapping these. It's a decent camera if you prepare it correctly...

You nailed it Todd, looks good! (I did some late night parts trading with Todd last night to get this look, and a similar "stock" look for my S&S for the International meet)

I know this thread is getting a little "pic heavy", but I think I'm done posting pics. Here are better pics with and without the trim rings. I really think I'm still leaning towards no trim rings.

gmcnoww3.jpg

gmcnoww4.jpg

gmcnoww5.jpg

gmcnoww6.jpg

I like the look of the full trim rings. The colors are great and the wide whites remind me of the 50's vs 60's. Just my opinion. Really like the color combo.

Back