TPC 152 - International Meet Issue

Heartily agree with Ed Renstrom about the old school joys of curling up with a thick, glossy paper magazine in spite of all the PCS achieves on-line. It's always gratifying to see a finished International Meet issue received so warmly by the readership, even though it's rarely detailed here or elsewhere exactly how much how much work goes into distilling all the imagery and other raw material that ultimately winds up on the printed page. While I don't know how many photos Steve Lichtman, Steve Loftin and other issue contributors took themselves, the simple fact this year's meet was two days longer than average (counting Tuesday's "Early Bird" tours and the Sunday invitation exhibit at the Milwaukee Masterpiece Concours) found me heading home with more than FOUR THOUSAND high-res digital photos that needed to be sorted into individual entrant and/or daily tour folders. Just in case something went awry with my cameras or memory cards, or I experienced a break-in or a meteor strike on the two-day drive home, I made sure Walt & Brady got flash drives containing my Tuesday-Saturday shots by the time they left Milwaukee midday Sunday; to get the file transfers done, I had to stay up until 2 or 2:30 in the morning at least two nights that week! As I had no trouble filling it, I was truly-grateful for the three months Walt allotted me to weed out my favorite images (gotten down, against all odds, to several dozen daily semi-finalists); retitle these JPEGs to summarize the subject matter for captioning; and make basic enhancements like cropping, shadow balancing and horizon leveling, after which Brady was snail-mailed finalized sets of flash drives and photo CDs.

Transcribing what was ultimately a two-and-half-inch thick stack of daily tour & entrant notes - the essential prelude to the coherent, reasonably-concise "Cream City Chronicle" you wound up reading in TPC - was, of course, an epic project in itself, entailing multiple spell checks of every single place and car owner name plus the incorporation of background material from numerous guidebooks and websites concerning the attractions we visited. As a result, it took me an average of two to three days to transcribe each day's worth of notes! Though my hand-written notes used to go in the recycling bin once their content material was distilled into a single Microsoft Word file, I decided to mail this year's original Milwaukee notebooks to Brady so he could put them in the PCS archives, as future generations of members might be intrigued to see what the departure point for International Meet issue of TPC looks like. Is it overkill? Arguably yes, but it does give the folks who missed Milwaukee a fully-detailed sense of what it was like to be there, and remind the people that made it exactly why Such A Good Time Was Had By All. Hopefully, it's also potent incentive for people who have never attended a PCS International to join us in Rochester this August, Houston in 2015 or Gettysburg in 2016.

As much as we thank everyone for working on the magazine and other things, you are one person that is not thanked enough. Without you we would not have such day by day details so those that were not there can feel as if they were. I have seen you write notes many times and have no idea how you can take those shorthand scribbles into the masterpieces they become. You are truly great at your craft!! I also want to thank you again for sending me the pix of my car, and of Christie and I that you took.
Again thank you for all you do for the PCS. :applause::applause::applause:

Probably the reason I usually leave my camera in the room,once you spot Gregg with camera around his neck,steno note pad in hand,writing like the reporter he is,well just know the event is covered,for that I thank you,:applause::applause:

I can't believe that Doug Lemon in Australia has recieved his before me in ontario, Canada. Canada Post is reaching new lows in efficiency!!

Yes Rod ,Canada Post is slow for I too still await mine.But when they stop at your door delivery and increase postage to $1.00 am sure the efficiency will increase,:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

it is so refreshing to see others have the same set of problems. just remember guys "it goes along like this for awhile, then it gets worse".

As usual Im the last one in Canada to have mine, probably tomorrow? North here it's the ice that slows the postman. -30 C. the last 7 days. :D

Martin,
That has nothing to do with it....that postman will deliver in any weather.
It's back at the depot where the delay is. It's management...that's where the problem is.

Doug Lemon
Ex postal worker

Sorry Martin but western part of Ontario has not got it yet either,and Doug as an ex-postman you must shutter at what Canada Post is up to.

That remembers me when UPS and Fed Ex lost my packages when I lived in Montreal; my address was 2630, between 2636 and 2634. Only the postman knew they mixed all the addresses on the street, 50 years ago!

Back