The Eureka (1964 and under) Photo Thread

Nov 1968 funeral of Miami Police Chief Walter Headley. His horse, Sir Galahad, follows the '64 Eureka Landau hearse to the graveside. Miami Herald photos..

These are all from the same issue of the AFD:

Attachments

• Eureka 1.jpg
    Eureka 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 852
  • Eureka 2.jpg
    Eureka 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 768
  • Eureka 3.jpg
    Eureka 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 779
1962 Eureka

I have had this photo for many years. I believe the car was in Phoenix. The interesting thing is that this car had rear window draperies, which, for Eureka, were an extra-cost option. I love that look, and ultimately want to have a set of rear window draperies made up for my '60. Tom

Attachments

• 62_Eureka_008.jpg
    62_Eureka_008.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 782
1954 Eureka as found

This is a photo of my 1954 Eureka as it was found originally in Arizona. The original color was black, but Whitney & Murphy Funeral Home in Phoenix had white as a company color. To transact the sale, a brand new black car was turned to white. The brown on the car is not rust, it's desert dust and dirt blown on to it. When bead blasted during restoration, zero rust was found, thankfully.

Attachments

• 54_Laveen_001.jpg
    54_Laveen_001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 790
1963 Eureka Combination

This was my 1963 Eureka combination, now restored and in service with Joe McDonald in Rock Falls, IL.

Attachments

• 63_Eur_008.jpg
    63_Eur_008.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 710
http://www.skokiehistory.info where this '57 Eureka Ambulandau originated from is not currently working to retrieve more details.

Dagmar mounted warning lights are certainly idiosyncratic.

9375_590381937659198_613518711_n.jpg

http://www.skokiehistory.info where this '57 Eureka Ambulandau originated from is not currently working to retrieve more details.

This combination car was acquired from the local funeral home when they discontinued their ambulance service.

It was originally a blue car and owned by Scott Funeral Home in Evanston, IL. They donated it to the Skokie Fire Dept. in 1960 and the firefighters refurbished the car and painted it red & white.

The Skokie FD '57 Eureka from another angle... Note the Mars light has moved to the driver side fender in this pic and a dash-mounted "Ambulance" nameplate can be seen through the windshield..

Despite missing a couple of grille "teeth" and wearing miss-matched whitewalls, it appears the Skokie firemen were very proud of their ambulance and kept her lookin' good, even "updating" her appearance with '58 Cadillac wheel-covers :eek:

Although her frontal equipment more than makes up for it, the landau panels look almost naked without the trademark Eureka sconces...

The Skokie FD '57 Eureka from another angle... Note the Mars light has moved to the driver side fender in this pic and a dash-mounted "Ambulance" nameplate can be seen through the windshield..

The Mars light stayed on the center of the hood as long as the car was used by the SFD.

it's the angle of the shot that makes it appear as if it has moved. but this would be a fine example of a landau combination used as a straight ambulance. it's still a combo, though unless they used it in the department Funerals it most likely never had a Casket placed in it.

I shot this '60 Eureka 3-way at a So. Cal. Chapter PCS meet back around '04-05. Can't recall who it belonged to.

Attachments

• 60 Eureka001.jpg
    60 Eureka001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 659
This '61 Eureka was one of many interesting pro cars owned by the late Paul Nix, of Arleta, CA.

Attachments

• 61 Eureka001.jpg
    61 Eureka001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 551
I will volunteer some pictures of my dear old friend, my first coach. My brother holding a for sale sign $350.00 Vin#59Z079531 In 1973 during the gas wars, you could not give away a V-8 as society was trending towards small cars with gas saving engines. In 1973 I remember having a hard time finding parts for a 1959 because parts stores purged the shelves of the old Cadillac parts, as there were not many left on the road any longer. Same with the Cadillac dealerships. Good way to make the parts man laugh when you asked him for 1959 parts. Ok, I remember gas went I believe from somewhere in the .30 cent range to .75 cent range and it caused folks to panic and get rid of the gas guzzlers. Any one recollect more accurately? This coach was perfect condition inside, with two tone blue leather on the seats, leatherette covered medical cabinets in the dark blue. Plain floor and no cot bar. Roller shades pulled up from the lower part of the window frame. They were like new and they were like a doulble sided finish leatherette with a snap at the top. Two clear spot lights with mirrors on the backsides of both. The first remote adjustable mirrors for me.

I was born in the wrong time.

And how about some photos of Kevin O'Connell's '59? :)

Back