Superior 54-XL

The car came from Superior with the side and rear lighting that is on it. When I owned the car, I swapped the 184s for CJ184 lights. I removed the twin front speakers, installed the twin 888 lights and installed the Q2b on the roof in a steel re enforced area that was designed for a motor driven siren. When the sisters ordered that car originally they did not order the side sign so Superior must have plugged that area when it was built. Fiberglass is notorious for stress cracking, Corvettes also have stress cracking problems. its the nature of the beast.

I own 2 Superior 54" ambulances. The '74 had factory roof signs on the sides. The '75 does not have roof signs on the sides and never had a cut out area for a lighted side signs in the roof. You cannot convince me that these side roof holes are original unless it was a factory screw-up. It may possibly have been changed very early on or prior to delivery, but definitely not the way they all were built. That is, very clearly, a patch job.

Thanks Bruce and Kurt. No worries. I think the best plan as mentioned is to internalize the wires, and seal it over. No warning light, or sign, but will provide a clean look and avoid the risk of bigger issues in the future.
The new paint looks good and will post pics when it is all back together.
It will ideally be involved with the first EMS Foundation activity in early April.

I do believe those side warning lights to be cast aluminum Superior-issue however. I have several of those same Superior optional side warning lights.

just move the light off the patch. they should be a tin housing on the superior. if that plug is fiberglass smoothing the seam after you remove the screws would be easy enough. here is a picture of the car the first time I saw it don't touch the paint is still wet. but you can see a lot of places other then right by the plug it can go. the other thing you can do is loosen the head liner on the side and slid a flat plate up there then bolt the light threw it. if i was going to do that I would move it to the rear over the sail panel. east to get to it there. just have your patch be large enough to go over and under the plug. that would balance the car out also

Attachments

• MVC-844F.JPG
    MVC-844F.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
Here's what's on my 1975 54XL. The sign might be aftermarket.

Attachments

• November, 2013 #17.jpg
    November, 2013 #17.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 417
Jim,
That is odd in the way your signs extend out from the roof in that "box"?? My '74 has factory side signs. The sign frames mount flush to the roof on it with recessed fixtures.

Again, thanks to all. After further discussions on several options the final plan is to allow the paint to cure, then re enforce the area and replace the housing in its original location. Great to have all the input.

Jim,
That is odd in the way your signs extend out from the roof in that "box"?? My '74 has factory side signs. The sign frames mount flush to the roof on it with recessed fixtures.
That's why I said "might be aftermarket"

Attachments

• Oct. '13 #18.jpg
    Oct. '13 #18.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 437
one of the things we forget is none of these cars were cookie cutters. the plant would and did on a daily biases alter things for the customer. yes the signs could have been altered by any shop also. part of the mystery is with out the build sheet we will never know. as the plant would alter it in the same manor as a shop would. the mold would produce the standard top. from there it went up or down hill as you want to call it. there is a norm as the prototype was then there is as altered by the customer. I love the never see the same car twice even if there is a row of them.:thumbsup:

Bruce, I think you describe it well. The entire history of this car is known. When it rolled down the line, without a buyer, signs were likely placed on the sides. The sisters order a car for the hospital, and no, side signs are not on the check list. So out they come and a side warning light is installed. No thought as to what the result would be in 40 years. Got to love these cars.
PS: Oh if only Superior was up and running, I would call and see if I could get the signs re installed.

Bruce, I think you describe it well. The entire history of this car is known. When it rolled down the line, without a buyer, signs were likely placed on the sides. The sisters order a car for the hospital, and no, side signs are not on the check list. So out they come and a side warning light is installed. No thought as to what the result would be in 40 years. Got to love these cars.
PS: Oh if only Superior was up and running, I would call and see if I could get the signs re installed.

Tim,
If you are seriously interested in re-installing the side signs, I would be willing to sell the side signs off of this '74 54" Superior. The internal plastic housings will need some "reinforcement", but it wouldn't be that difficult to do, since you can clearly see the original holes for the signs on your roof right down to the screw holes for the frames.
Kurt

Attachments

• '74 Superior 3.jpg
    '74 Superior 3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 328
Tim,
If you are seriously interested in re-installing the side signs, I would be willing to sell the side signs off of this '74 54" Superior. The internal plastic housings will need some "reinforcement", but it wouldn't be that difficult to do, since you can clearly see the original holes for the signs on your roof right down to the screw holes for the frames.
Kurt

Now that is beautiful....

Unfortunately, it was waaaay too far gone. It has been pretty much stripped since the photo was taken. It had lots of bondo trowelled on it decades ago. Doors, floors, fenders, quarters, rockers all severely rotted out.

Kurt, many thanks, your offer is much appreciated and would like it with that appearance. In the end though the work has been completed and I don't want to step back as I really want to get it on the road! Will post some pics when it is back together.

54-xl not!

My 54" was on the Ohio website for sale for a LONG time before I inquired about it. But it was always advertised a 54-XL. It was in New York, Dan Herrick had originally looked at the car and tried to tell the guy it wasn't a 54-XL but he just wouldn't listen. In the day I had worked out of a 51" and a 54-XL. Anyway,that was eleven years ago and she is still here.

Attachments

• 2015-09-26 12.31.13.jpg
    2015-09-26 12.31.13.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 282
back on the road

While I have had the XL since 2008 it has seen very little road time relative to my other cars. All the mechanical issues are deal with, (are they ever) and a new rear bumper in place. So it is off to repaint the upper half of the car. The paint on the roof is original and over the years has cracked and spidered. Hopefully in several weeks the warning lights will be back on and it will be ready for upcoming EMS Foundation activities.

The XL is back from paint and put back together. All that is left is new markings that are in the works. It was to be at "Disaster Alley" here in Calgary last weekend, a huge display of Emergency services: civic, provincial, and national. As many of you will have heard, those services were deployed to northern Alberta this past week. The Fort Mc Murray fire now covers just under 900 square miles. The city, with a population of 90,000 was evacuated in an afternoon, and these souls will not return to their city, for weeks! The organizations involved have received tremendous praise for the professional work they have done.
The shows can wait. What we have witnessed in Alberta, is indeed an amazing testament to the emergency responders and the people they have served.

Attachments

• post paint 1 (600 x 420).jpg
    post paint 1 (600 x 420).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 196
  • post paint 3 (600 x 417).jpg
    post paint 3 (600 x 417).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 195
  • post paint 4 (600 x 450).jpg
    post paint 4 (600 x 450).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 196
she looks ready to pitch in and help. so give me a clue were did they put everyone? it takes some time to gather up enough cargo containers for that many people and who has that many tents? you have to hand it to whom ever is coordinating that for a job will done. it boggles the mind to think of things happening that fast.

Tim, your ambulance looks fabulous! On the other subject, I can't even imagine a fire as huge as the one in Alberta, absolutely horrible. We are all thinking of our Canadian neighbors and their struggles.

Back