Attachments

• DSCN5360.jpg
    DSCN5360.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 376
  • DSCN5358.jpg
    DSCN5358.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 376
Mother of invention.

Been there done that. I always wondered if anyone ever invented a device to cap off the shaft on the trans to avoid the issue? Best you can do is lift the motor up for awhile and drain as much trans fluid as you can before you lift it over the core support and out of the vehicle.

Reminds me of the time I pulled out the remainder of a cut off drive shaft not knowing the trans fluid would instantly start flowing out. Doh !

It also reminds me of a Alice Cooper song.

Looking good Rocky !

I wanna go for a ride in that baby ! Any chance you will have it running when I am there in a few weeks ?! Only kidding. August for sure !

Can't wait to check out all the work you have done to it.

Darren

:applause:

Been there done that. I always wondered if anyone ever invented a device to cap off the shaft on the trans to avoid the issue? Best you can do is lift the motor up for awhile and drain as much trans fluid as you can before you lift it over the core support and out of the vehicle.

I do have a set of plugs that slide into the tail shafts to keep that from happening. As you can tell me the dumb*** did not use it.

Darren,

i know it wont be running in the next few weeks when you will be here. But i am sure trying to have it going for the meet in milwaukee. We will see though, still alot of work to get done between now and then, my fingers are crossed.

DSCN5682.jpg

DSCN5686.jpgI have been banging away on the 58 this last month or so, that's why I have not been on the board much. here is some of the progress on the old girl.

I will start with the rear end I got back from my club brother, I think its a thing of beauty, I wanted to powder coat the rear but the problem is there are to tubes in the rear to get fluid to the outside bearings. Well I did not want to chance them getting sand in there when they sandblast and take the carrier out. so this one will just get painted.

another pic >

I want to post up some more pics of progress, but my internet connection is not good and is going to be fixed here next week then I can post up some more of the progress shots

Attachments

• DSCN5688.jpg
    DSCN5688.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 231
Progress pics

Rocky, that club brother did a incredible job rebuilding the rear axle and doing the disc conversion! I don't see that caliber of workmanship very often at all. It screams big bucks. PM me with what it cost if you do not want to disclose on the forum, I just have to know. Your 58 was worth throwing the money at it with a body and interior in such good shape. What are the details of the build as well. Disc size, gear ratio, etc.

usually when you pull a motor you can put just the front yoke of the drive shaft in, this will prevent the trans from puking out fluid. Like the pictures, keep them comming.:)

on the rear end, some of the stats that I know

It is a 3:73 gear ratio if I remember correct, on the carrier we cleaned it up and looked it over close it look like new. This is a 25,000 mile car and it showed that. so we did not have to do a lot to that.

The rear discs are 11 discs, so I will be able to use the same truck rims that I put on the front also on the rear.

the disc kit we got from speedway motors, and machined the axels and hubs down to fit, put newer bearings and spacers end the end tube, to compensate for the thickness of the disc caliper mount he made.

we used little braided lines to the calipers so you can move them or just take those lines off.

cost wise I had about $800.00 in the brake kit and bearings and lines and such. And then the cost of having it done. But it was way less money then having currie build me a custom 9" ford rear like I was going to do. That would of been like 4500.00 to have them do that.

here is another piece I had made buy superior radiator from michigan, they did a great job. I ended drawing then a picture with measurements of what I wanted and they built it.

About a week turn around time. I have seen some of their examples at Detroit autorama and was very impressed and even more so dealing with them.

I needed to change the side that the hoses came out, since I am also changing the motor, and Darren said now that I have it so it can stop I need to make this heavy girl move alittle better.

So that is some more that I have been doing with the old girl also.

Here is my new radiator.

Attachments

• DSCN5553.jpg
    DSCN5553.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN5552.jpg
    DSCN5552.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN5624.jpg
    DSCN5624.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 201
You're really close on the gear ratio Rocky. 3.77 was used on commercial chassis from '56 through '65 (although not all the same part number). Thanks to Jim Jordan for teaching me this. :)

I needed to modify the front main cross member to fit this, I plated in the original recess for the original hose placement, and needed to make the recess for the new one. as you can see in the earl fit where I just plasma cut out some of it to start fitting the radiator.

I will post a picture of the finish product, I the picture of the piece on the floor is the hunk of 1/4 walled pipe I cut out and heated to open up and welded into the pass. side of the crossmember.

Attachments

• DSCN5613.jpg
    DSCN5613.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN5620.jpg
    DSCN5620.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN5631.jpg
    DSCN5631.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN5630.jpg
    DSCN5630.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 196
here is me showing my shear fits of strength "not" on my mock block set up that I have been using for fitting the new heart into the 58.DSCN5561.jpg

Rocky

I see little bit of a Nirve 3 Speed Chopper in the upper left corner of the last photo !

What ya putting in that ? A create small block Chev ? Something rebuilt ?

We wanna know bro !
Darren

A 3.70 gear ratio will get you up and off the line well enough and give you a bit of decent gas mileage. So, for less than $2000.00 a man could have a differential reworked like yours was done? Correct? I am guessing parts eqauls same as labor, plus cost of machining. Okay a bit over 2K is more to be expected. I can't wait until you debut the new motor! Should be some interesting comments, no doubt. Heavier motor means suspension modifications too? Frame reinforcements maybe? Heavy sway bars? You got to have the right suspension going into dead mans curve and survive with a high perf hearse, or you will be the next legend they write a song about. The mock up motor is a great tool. So I am guessing you have the fake viper motor also. Oops! Okay I meant the Keith Black Hemi. Lets have some fun with the guys guessing the motor.

Sorry guys I have been gone this last half a week at the iola car show swap meet. Came home on Saturday. So I can show some more pics of progress. Here is the crossmember with the recesses switched from one side to other. I know with what I have going on, I will need to also cut out the center and lower it about a inch, and I think I will need to notch the left side for my more modern power steering pump.

Attachments

• DSCN5704.jpg
    DSCN5704.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN5703.jpg
    DSCN5703.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 144
Back