Only 2 more sleeps, Bill!

Bill, I think this may be my fault. I was grumbling so loudly to myself about having to work and not being able to hook up with you and Cliff that I may have sent out some bad voodoo or negative energy.

Think about it:.... Doug House, Bill Leverett and Cliff Bergen in the same place at the same time! All we'd need is Fraser Field to show up and we'd have a B.C. ProCar ambulance convention!!! :cheers:

Sorry about the bad mojo! :poster_oops:

All in good time Doug! It really was too bad you were working. I really enjoyed you Criterion. What a fantastic Ambulance!! I had never seen an M&M before..
We need to get Fraser back on the PCS site. After all he has three pro car Ambulances!
Bill and I finished our trip on the side of the road after he drove off the ferry and had I picked up my car from the parking lot.
I had brought my Sterling model 20 siren to show Bill. I had several parts plated and had to share it with someone that would appreciate it.. Anyways, Bill and I cranked that little "long roll" siren and after a couple minutes of enjoying that long deep coast we went our separate ways. A nice ending to a great conversation about everything EMS & Fire!! Old and new!!
On a side note.. As the ferry was docking I was standing with all the other walk on passengers waiting to disembark. I could hear this fellow from across the line. A very American accent.. From where I'm really not sure. Anyways, he's speaking very loudly into his cel phone. It was hard to to over hear his conversation. About how amazing the BC Ferry was that he was on.. How it holds 350 cars etc.. He couldn't believe the size of it. It was interesting to listen to someone from another part of the world talk about something that us Islanders take for granted several times a year. His amazement put a smile on my face.

Lard T'underin' Jayzuz, Steve! Stay where ya be 'till I be where yer at!

An' may ya be half an hour in Heaven before the Devil knows yer dead! :yum:

That's East Coast Canada

Steve...that's East Coast Canada speak. Even us Canadian westerners have trouble understanding them...never mind someone from another country.

Last October I was in Halifax doing an paramedic training school accreditation survey and one the the team members was from Labrador/Newfoundland. He was having a discussion with our taxi driver (english as a second language fellow) regarding when and where to pick us up to go to the airport later in the day. Now THAT was a conversation I understood very little of!

Well, most of the Canadians I hang out with are Ontario folks (Walt McCall, Tom McPherson, Evan Butchers, Len Langlois, John Prno, Darren Bedford, etc.), or Saskatchewan (Peter Adsten). That's how they talk.

When I was in Vancouver a bunch of years ago, everyone just spoke Japanese! :argue:

One of the very few good experiences I had was when I had my Merc pro-car shipped out from Cinncy was the shipper I used...United Road Transport...has real-time logitics via GPS. I was able to log in and see where my rig was after it was picked up.

As time goes on I'm sure technology will continue to be absorbed into the transport industry.

Trying again on Thursday

OK...Cliff and I are going to try this again on Thursday. The vehicle arrived late on Monday afternoon. I had to go to Vancouver for a meeting anyway so went over early and checked it out. It started fine, went into gear but the transmission wouldn't engage. Topped up the tranny fluid and all is good now. Drove it 2 blocks to the tire shop where it's geting a set of Kuhmo Solarus KR21's. The owners of the tire shop even agreed to store it inside last night and tonight until we get it on Thursday.

The cars is a bit rougher in person but that's to be expected I guess. Pics to follow following Bill and Cliff's Most Excellent Adventure!:thumbsup:

always rougher in person then the pictures show. but typical Gm tranny leak not with standing it will look a lot nicer in your yard. the Kohmos ride nice but don't forget the spedo will be about 5 mph faster with them. the 235 are that much smaller then the 890s.

Great news, Bill, at least it made it to your Province!

always rougher in person then the pictures show...
Actually, when I went to pick up my Travelall ambulance that I bought on ebay sight-unseen (850 miles from home with no other plan to get home other than driving it), I actually found it to be better than the pictures implied. Started right up and drove home nicely. :thumb:
(Warning, do not try this at home. Your results may vary.)

Bill, glad that you finally got it home. Photos can be deceiving, I think the important thing is to find an honest seller. Good luck and hope the restoration goes well.:cheers:

It was an adventure!

So Cliff meets me at my place very early and off we go to the Ferry, so far uneventful. We get to the US/Canada Border at 0930. Cliff is going to hang out onthe Canadian side and I'll walk the 3 blocks to the tire shop where the vehicle is. It's all ready but a big exhaust leak...the pipe is disconnected at a point just below the floor pan on the passenger side. The tire shop owner manages to reconnect the pipes and secure them inplace with the already existing fasteners (barbed wire!). Ok...seems to work and the vehicle is relatively quiet although the muffler is shot. Process through US Customs was quick and the officer was very helpful. Thanked him and then off to the Canadian side for more paperwork and spend pay the import charges (GST) and the a/c levie. Forgot to mentionthat in the short 3 block drive back to the border I received numerous waves, thumbs up and horn honks.

Canadian processing goes well and Cliff is busy snapping pictures (I think he'll be posting some and maybe something on YouTube. Off we go in tandem with me in the lead. Stop for fuel (the gas guage does work nicely) and Cliff demands that we put the hub caps and fender skirts on because the vehicle looks badly without them.

Nice 30 minute drive to the Ferry Terminal and we arrive in time to catch a 12:45 ferry. The car drives just fine, steers well, doesn't wander, and stops well without pulling.

The ferry terminal lot has HUGE speedbumps and it is impossible to drive around them. So I manage to dislodge the exhaust pipes on the first bump I go over and the rear pipe is now hanging by a few strands of barbed wire. OK...can't reconnect them and the Ferry is on time and we load in 10 minutes. After a quick size up Cliff and I decide that a quick dismantling of the exhaust is in order. He works on the rear and I work on the front and it all comes apart. We then load the exhaust pipe and muffler (all 9 feet of it) in through the passenger front window (the rear door doesn't open as yet), through the glass slider, onto the cot and secure it with the cot seat belt.

Now on the other side of the water after we unload and after 5 minutes of driving I notice that the cab is filling with smoke. Pull over and check the engine...maybe some trans fluid splashed up but can't really see anything. carry on for another 10 minutes up the road and now it's really getting thick in cab...kinda like being in a Cheech and Chong movie when they drive around. Pull over again, look underneath to see sparks falling under the vehicle. This can't be good. Cliff feels the passenger floor and it's very hot. Seems the hot exhaust is exiting right under the floor pan where the pan has rotted through. The heat is actually setting the underpad of the floor mat on fire! Pull out the smolderring bits and check for extension. Next we fashion a diverter for the exhaust with an exhaust flex extension that I brought along. The floor is now open to the road and the engine is VERY loud but at least the floor is no longer burning.

Other than that, the rest of the trip was uneventful.

Had a great time with Cliff as always...thanks Doug for phoning...sorry but I had turned my phone off when in Customs and didn't get the message until later. Don't think we'd have had time to meet up given your location.

Oh the joys of procar ownership. I work the next 4 days straight so won't be able to post any pictures until Tuesday.

Well at least you got it home. Hopefully you didn't suffer any ill effects from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Bill just keep your eyes on the prize, it will be a beautiful ambulance when it's done.

1st - Glad you're ok

2nd - Happy you finally got it home

3rd - Its buys and deliveries like this that beer, cigars and parking lots were
made for. :cheers:

Look forward to the pics - Congrats!

fun fun fun till daddy get his lifeliner home. got a spot in the back of the 72 Seville that Burt the linoleum from a hole in the muffler and a run down the interstate. first theng I did when we got home was a trip to the we bend it for u place.

Pictures!

Thanks for all of the comments. As for the carbon monoxide, I had both windows open so lots of fresh air. Nice to hear that at least one other person had an ehaust vs. flooring isue (thanks Ed for making me feel better!)

Cliff sent me some pictures that I've posted here.

Also 2 short videos available on YouTube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqW3SmZxlA&feature=channel[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJl9mjAiK0&feature=channel[/ame]

Lots of fun ahead...glad to finally have it home.

Bill

Attachments

• DSCF8125.jpg
    DSCF8125.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF8122.jpg
    DSCF8122.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF8129.jpg
    DSCF8129.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF8147.jpg
    DSCF8147.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 85
It looks super. It is amazing how much better it looks with 4 new tires, wheel covers, and skirts added. Keep the pictures coming.. :cheers:

Back