One of my hearses to be in service this week

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
A friend of Digger's dad passed away Friday and will be having his funeral this week. He was 62 and died of cancer.

I have met this guy and have seen him at car cruises a bunch of times over the last few years.

He was a "car guy". Him and his brother were twins and loved old cars each having some. I know they have a real nice '30s Hot Rod.

The funeral notice from the funeral home asks if you have a Hot Rod to please bring it to the funeral.

I offered to let them use one of my hearses and that is now going to happen. :thumbsup:

More on this as arrangements happen over the next couple days.

In his honor, I hope there are lots of cool vintage cars in his funeral precession.

I know the ride in my Vintage Cadillac will be one every car guy should get !

I hope your Hot Rod in Heaven has 4 on the floor and 8 up front !

You will be missed Dean !

:drive2:

Darren

Darren, That's great! Our older pro cars many times have more class than the new ones. I like to see them put back in service for which they were intended. Trust me, they get more noticed than new ones!!!

Darren
Another "young" man.

FYI: When we use our old hearse, we must notify our insurance company who puts a one day rider policy (for $15.00) to cover any mishaps.

John

A friend of Digger's dad passed away Friday and will be having his funeral this week. He was 62 and died of cancer.

I have met this guy and have seen him at car cruises a bunch of times over the last few years.

He was a "car guy". Him and his brother were twins and loved old cars each having some. I know they have a real nice '30s Hot Rod.

The funeral notice from the funeral home asks if you have a Hot Rod to please bring it to the funeral.

I offered to let them use one of my hearses and that is now going to happen. :thumbsup:

More on this as arrangements happen over the next couple days.

In his honor, I hope there are lots of cool vintage cars in his funeral precession.

I know the ride in my Vintage Cadillac will be one every car guy should get !

I hope your Hot Rod in Heaven has 4 on the floor and 8 up front !

You will be missed Dean !

:drive2:

Darren

thats what I want....when its my time I want Vintage cars and Hot Rods in the precession. :smileflagcan:

darren, that is great. i have said that if i get taken in a mini van for my last ride i will haunt someone. Very cool thing to do.

Darren
Another "young" man.

FYI: When we use our old hearse, we must notify our insurance company who puts a one day rider policy (for $15.00) to cover any mishaps.

John

What kind of mishaps?? is it something other than regular insurance would cover? Enquiring minds...... wana know.Thanks

Good on you, Darren. What a nice thing to do....

Quite a few years ago I got a call from a funeral director friend who was looking for an old coach for the funeral of a young (19, I think) car buff/rodder who was killed in a car crash. I offered my 1936 Henney-Packard 3-way hearse. I drove it at the funeral, an RC church service. The Henney Nu-3-Way table worked flawlessly. The family was very pleased.

PS: I told my boss that I needed the morning off to attend a funeral. I didn't tell him I was driving the hearse and didn't know the deceased! - Walt McCall

This is interesting. So cool of you to offer your vintage hearse for a hot rodders last ride. Ive had a funeral director mention using my vintage coach (once i finish the body and paint of course among other things). But would i be the one driving? I certainly wouldnt let anyone else drive it. Wonder how that would work. On the other side of that, when i do kick. I MUST be driven in my own hearse. Wonder how that will go over haha.

This is interesting. So cool of you to offer your vintage hearse for a hot rodders last ride. Ive had a funeral director mention using my vintage coach (once i finish the body and paint of course among other things). But would i be the one driving? I certainly wouldnt let anyone else drive it. Wonder how that would work. On the other side of that, when i do kick. I MUST be driven in my own hearse. Wonder how that will go over haha.

In my experiances, you can drive your own car, but a funeral director rides along.

What kind of mishaps?? is it something other than regular insurance would cover? Enquiring minds...... wana know.Thanks

Most regular insurance does not cover the car for business/commercial use, which this would be. There are a number of mishaps that can happen, but a big one would be if you got in an accident from going through a light/sign (or any other cause), damage to the casket or corpse in wreck, emotional distress to family, and the list can go on and on.

Update...

Yesterday and today were visitation. Tomorrow is the funeral.

Turns out that his kids and his twin brother are fighting and the whole situation is a mess.

Dean spent 4-5 days a week with his brother as his kids were off married with their own kids. His wife had passed away before him.

Him and his brother did car things almost daily. Cruises most week nights.

His kids wanted the funeral home hearse and his brother knew he would want the vintage hearse.

I just stepped aside and let it go. I didn't want to get involved or even know what was going on.

I knew Dean but never met his kids. I know his brother Jim too.

I know Dean would have wanted his last ride in my hearse as he has seen most of the ones I own. He was always asking me to go to different shows with them and I have his phone number in my phone.

I feel his kids let him down but that is only my opinion. His bothers too but I don't think it is worth the fight. Well, actually I do but it is not my family.

I feel great knowing I offered instantly when I heard the bad news of his passing.

Hopefully all goes well even though I didn't get to help out.

There will be another opportunity I'm sure sometime in the future.
I hope it is a long way off for anyone I know !

Until then... I will have many miles of fun driving myself !!!

:17875:

Darren

like I said before on here.....GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE YOU KICK !!!!!!! tell everyone ( including the dog) your wishes...

Darren If I were you I would still go to the funeral in your coach and drive behind maybe then the rest of the family will realize what a mistake they made.

Most regular insurance does not cover the car for business/commercial use, which this would be. There are a number of mishaps that can happen, but a big one would be if you got in an accident from going through a light/sign (or any other cause), damage to the casket or corpse in wreck, emotional distress to family, and the list can go on and on.

up here in Ontario all you need to do is call your Insurance and tell them what your doing and they will put a rider on your insurance for the day.

Darren, be sure you can keep it for my own funeral (well, surely not before a couple of decades I wish?). I remember your coaches are in perfect shape so they can run through Saguenay;) If not, we have plenty of car guys here and not a single old hearse in the whole region, will give you a call if the wish is asked to me !

like I said before on here.....GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE YOU KICK !!!!!!! tell everyone ( including the dog) your wishes...

Darren If I were you I would still go to the funeral in your coach and drive behind maybe then the rest of the family will realize what a mistake they made.

Mike, i think your absolutely right. Drive in the procession with the other hot rods. I guarantee all of the car enthusiasts and friends of the deceased will say, "Man i bet he would have loved to have his last ride in a fine vintage coach like that"! The family will no doubt see that he would have loved that.

Families can be a real strain on best made plans,we in EMS have" do not resuscitate" forms that are province wide but there is always someone who says can't you do anything,NO their wish is expressed and will be followed..Get it in writing,too many funerals end up in feuds and thats bullshit cause the departed deserves better,mine is in writing and all relatives are aware,and heaven help anyone who thinks differently cause I'ii come back and get ya.:respect:

all the get it in writing does is make you think you will get as you request. the simple truth is the remains are the property of the next of kin and they have control. the pecking order will be followed as to who is in charge also. spouse then children and so on. no one I know of has successfully came back from the grave and sued them over the way they did things

Back