New Hearse Bodies

frames

Shawn,
I can only speak about 61s as that is what I have. My gut feeling is that the earlier and later GM long frames would/could use the same recommendations. A look in the service section of the shop manual for your specific car may help you find a solid answer. If I can drive onto a lift I have no problem. If it is one where the servicer has to position the arms under my frame to lift the car I ask/tell them to use the drive on lift.
Mike

Mikes car has the X frame that GM used from 1958 to 1964. After 1964, they used the perimeter frame, until they went to a unibody floor pan. The exception to this rule is the Buick, which used a perimeter frame for the 1958 - 1960 models, and then they switched over to the X frame also. Many people thought that the X frame didn't give you the protection that a perimeter frame would, however, in a side crash, the perimeter frame didn't offer much additional protection, since the frame was located low on the car, and it was the crushing force of the front bumper that caused the damage to the car that it hit. X frame or perimeter frame, the side body took the same force. The only cars that had a beefier floor pan assembly were the convertibles, since they had a reinforced rocker panel design to make up for the loss of structural integrity of a steel roof. In the later perimeter framed vehicles, the convertible frame was also boxed to add rigidity.

I believe we are discussing two different matters here. The fellow at Superior was talking about cracking the big f.g. panels by putting a twisting force on them, which could result if the vehicle was not aimed squarely ( or "plumb" ) at the ramp onto the truck. The G.M. manuals are warning owners of Series 75 and C.C. vehicles to not use frame-engaging hoists due to the large amount of weight on each end of the vehicle that is not supported by such devices. This is doubly important now, since those '60's and '70's Fleetwoods and C.C.'s have a lot of wear on them, and just maybe some rust lurking around in there. Gotta go now. B.G.'s "Sing, Sing,Sing" just came on the radio...........

all the caddys used a solid frame none of them were extended. the only extended frames were off brand cars Oldsmobile pon and such. as they did not have a commercial chassis. that is till they went to the uni body
when we put on a vinyl to we would hanging off the corners to pull and stretch the wrinkles out of the pillar. we put them on just like they did the hearse. top back first then the front half then. the back around the glass then down the pillars and cut it off, pop the moldings back on. get it out in the sun to let it warn up and relax. then when is cooled off it would shrink in to a set. don't drive the car at hy speed for 24 hr to keep the low pressure over the top from lifting it out of the glue. your good to go that will be 250 please. done a lot of them for that. we would give 75 for the per cut top and add 25 for materials and take home 150 for about 3 hr work gravy man.

Back