My Christmas present

Update...

I just spoke with the guy who is rebuilding my motor and they found out what the cause of the noise was. To quote him, "a shredded piston". He said it was good to have caught it before it went, otherwise it would have made a real mess of things. I am really glad now that I went ahead and had this done.

He said other than that, the motor is "sweet". Getting ready to put it back together. Cylinders bored, crank being polished right now, heads are done, etc. so we are on the way! And yes, Ed, I dropped off the correct Cadillac blue engine paint from Bill Hirsch a few weeks ago. Next comes the bill......:bonk:

Shawn

Never heard of a shredded piston but I'm glad you will have a nice quite non-leaking engine.

That will make you a happy guy for sure !

I will have to have my 472 looked at this year in my 73.
I hear what sounds like lifter tapping.

Way to go,
Darren

Yeah, I never heard of it before either, but it may just be his own personal terminology. At any rate, I am SO glad I went ahead and had the motor done this winter. As you said, it will be nice not to hear the ticking on acceleration and not to have oil leaking out everywhere. Beware of the suspected lifter tapping--that's what everyone told me my noise was, but now I know it was way more than that! Of course, until you tear it apart, no one can tell for sure. Good luck with your motor....hope it is nothing serious.

Last edited:
Picked up my motor yesterday. It looks awesome in it's fresh, Cadillac dark blue paint. The only thing that they could not locate was new rocker pivots/stands. All the listings on Ebay that I contacted stated that they really didn't have them, or, if they did, they were no longer $12.95 each, but $38!! A few places I called wanted over $50 each! What the heck, bought two last year for $8 each. Why list them if you don't have them? And why the huge price difference in part that is less than two inches square? Wow.

Ended up getting new ones from USA Parts Supply at $12.95 each, so day saved. The only part reused inside the motor was the crank, everything else is brand new, everything. Bored .030 over. Fully balanced and blue-printed, with warranty. She should run better than new, I hope.

I had to laugh when I went to pick it up. They hooked it up to their cherry picker and it would not lift the motor. They ended up using their tow motor to put it in the truck. I guess that is one heavy motor. Now, just have to do some cleaning and painting in places I couldn't reach last year and am going to re-do the front end before I put the motor back in. The fun continues.....

Picked up my motor yesterday. It looks awesome in it's fresh, Cadillac dark blue paint. The only thing that they could not locate was new rocker pivots/stands. All the listings on Ebay that I contacted stated that they really didn't have them, or, if they did, they were no longer $12.95 each, but $38!! A few places I called wanted over $50 each! What the heck, bought two last year for $8 each. Why list them if you don't have them? And why the huge price difference in part that is less than two inches square? Wow.

Ended up getting new ones from USA Parts Supply at $12.95 each, so day saved. The only part reused inside the motor was the crank, everything else is brand new, everything. Bored .030 over. Fully balanced and blue-printed, with warranty. She should run better than new, I hope.

I had to laugh when I went to pick it up. They hooked it up to their cherry picker and it would not lift the motor. They ended up using their tow motor to put it in the truck. I guess that is one heavy motor. Now, just have to do some cleaning and painting in places I couldn't reach last year and am going to re-do the front end before I put the motor back in. The fun continues.....

If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost of this type of rebuild, including parts and labor? labor getting engine in and out of car not needed.

A few pics...

Ed will be happy to see that it is the correct dark Cadillac blue now.... I sure will be happy to get it back in.

Attachments

• MR 001.jpg
    MR 001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 112
  • MR 004.jpg
    MR 004.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 110
  • MR 002.jpg
    MR 002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 110
  • MR 005.jpg
    MR 005.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 109
Christmas Present

Kinda funny to see this....Back in my racing days we bought our racing engines from one guy who had one engine color for all his race engines....PINK no matter the make.

His explanation..."Takes Bxll's to race and if you don't like don't use my engines"

Hmmmmm.....My 60 Caddy.....which is ALL STOCK....and I have the HISTORY on the car..it was my fathers......IS the same color on the block......
I also have a 94 Deville which is BLUE.......For some reason I thought that BLUE was the stock color for Cadillac engines.......BUT I may be wrong.....
BUt I do know that Porsche ALWAYS puts their keys(ignition)on the LEFT of the steering wheel.......

All ready to receive....

it's brand new motor.

Attachments

• MR4 008.jpg
    MR4 008.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 211
  • MR4 006.jpg
    MR4 006.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 212
  • MR4 005.jpg
    MR4 005.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 211
  • MR4 010.jpg
    MR4 010.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 206
  • MR4 007.jpg
    MR4 007.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 212
Motor in

Motor is in and coming along very well. Hope to have her running by the weekend!

Attachments

• MR4 004 (2).jpg
    MR4 004 (2).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 171
  • MR4 006 (2).jpg
    MR4 006 (2).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 172
  • MR4 007 (2).jpg
    MR4 007 (2).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 167
  • MR4 009 (2).jpg
    MR4 009 (2).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 172
Got her running today. Primed the oil pump, put the distributor back in and she fired up on the 4th roll. Sounds wonderful, and no smoke out the tail pipe at all. Now, just get the hood painted and back on and get an alignment, we should be ready to roll!!

She's home!!

Now I kinda feel like Brendan, although my wait wasn't as long as his was, nor with his results. Either way, I brought my car home today from it's winter stay at my parents'. A few little things to work out (small exhaust leak somewhere) and an alignment Saturday morning and it's summer cruising time! Thanks everyone for enduring the endless pics and posts. Here are the last pics I will leave you with--earlier today waiting for it's hood and finally home in it's garage.

Attachments

• MR6 012.jpg
    MR6 012.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 104
  • MR6 013.jpg
    MR6 013.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 105
  • MR6 010.jpg
    MR6 010.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 103
  • MR6 017.jpg
    MR6 017.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 100
  • MR6 014.jpg
    MR6 014.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Its always nice to see and drive the final product of all that hard work.
Looks great!! I bet it drives so much better. I know my 49 did after I had the front end rebuilt!

Back