Looking for Buy or Trade 1960 MM Duplex

Hi there...

I am either looking to buy, or possibly trade my 1958 MM Duplex for a 1960 MM Duplex. If a trade, I'de like to get one in as decent condition as my current coach.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nice looking coach! Did you get it from Art Gregory in Boise, Idaho? It looks like the 58 he had, so I was curious, that is all.

Art was having the car restored for quite a few years and he finally surrendered. It looks really decent, but I am sure you put lots of work into it.

there were a number of combos with out rollers they would have the anchors for the removable rack.

I learn something new every day :) How hard are these removable racks to find? I'm still undecided on what I am doing with the car. I hate to unwire the roof and stuff just in case the next guy (or me at a later date) wants to go the ambulance route, at the same time I have to do something with all the crazy wires going througout the car and sticking out of the roof.

Also, I like to be able to drive the car on weekends when I can, I imagine with red emergency lights and whatnot, I might have some legal problems doing so. As a a more traditional vehicle, that wouldn't be an issue. I haven't really made my mind up yet. As it is, I am having basic stuff done that doesn't require me to make that decision yet. Once I am ready for the body work and a paint job, I'll have to decide.

I have never had any problems driving any of my antique ambulances anywhere. The trick is not to activate either the siren or the lights when you are on a public road, unless you are in a parade. Where the lights missing from the car when you purchased it? I remember that John Dorgan supplied Art with a lot of lights, and a siren for the roof. The back of the car had been gutted when Art purchased the car, so that is why the rollers are missing.

I have owned ambulances in Pennsylvania since 1965 and have NEVER been bothered by Law Enforcement. Just DON'T run lights or siren on a public road. Been stopped a couple of times by cops who wanted to look and complimented me on the rig.

As others have said, just use common sense with the lights and do not operate them on the street unless in a parade. I live in a state where its illegal to even have red lights facing to the front, even of they are not hooked up, and I have never been pulled over having them on my cars in the 25 years Ive done so, and I use mine as daily drivers, so they have lots of opportunity to see one of my cars out and about. Even the purple lightbars or dash lights is a no no here unless you are a licensed funeral home and have a permit to use them, and so far I have never had an issue.
The only one I have not tried yet is for my 49 combo I want to install the red lenses that are in the turn signal location, and get rid of the bumper mounted red lights, but everytime I hit the turn signal it would flash red to the front. Im pretty sure that will be an issue, but not sure how to get away with that one yet.
As for the skeleton rack, they are not too hard to come across, they still make them new, and Im not sure how much the design has changed over the years, so may be easy to spot compared to a period correct one.

Art loved lights and sirens he would have had a ton of them on the car had he been able to finish it. they use a zose faster for the floor it would have 4 of them. two in back and two up front. the one 17 demountable and the ambulance signs the same. pull the beacon, the cot bar and signs out and toss in the rack and your a hearse.

Most of the emergency lights were missing when I bought the car from Art. I guess the shop he had it at sold them off or something. The only lights I have remaining are the beacon ray and the rear "scene light" (and plenty of holes in the fenders for the other lights).

Everything else is gone, which is another reason I am thinking of just going the simpler route.

I don't think it got to that point with them the gold trim was all he said he lost. the combo would not have had the load light. they would only have the back up lights wired to one of the jam switches.

I don't think it got to that point with them the gold trim was all he said he lost. the combo would not have had the load light. they would only have the back up lights wired to one of the jam switches.

Ok, Yeah come to think of it, we never really got specific about the rest of the lights in our emails to each other. Maybe he held onto them. He didn't include them with the car.

Most of the emergency lights were missing when I bought the car from Art. I guess the shop he had it at sold them off or something. The only lights I have remaining are the beacon ray and the rear "scene light" (and plenty of holes in the fenders for the other lights).

Everything else is gone, which is another reason I am thinking of just going the simpler route.

The fenders had stand along Solarays mounted on them, using the 2 piece Federal siren mounting brackets. Sometimes you can find them on eBay. Don't remember all the other lights, but if you post some pictures of the holes, along with some measurements, we could probably figure it out. If you don't have a small ruler, you can always post the picture with a dollar bill alongside of the holes, and that will give us a reference point to start with.
Thinking back, I think that the roof had a siren light combination on the center, just over the windshield.
It will cost you almost as much to weld up the holes, and paint as it would cost to find and install the lights and siren.

try guessing from this picture

Attachments

• 1958 MM Art Greagery owner.jpg
    1958 MM Art Greagery owner.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1958 MM Art Greagery owner 1.jpg
    1958 MM Art Greagery owner 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 46
Back