junkyard near Chicago

I wanna say it was 2000. I say that because I bought my 1980 Superior Cadillac hearse in 1999, and the reason I was interested in the flower car was because it was a 1980 Cadillac, so I figured I could have a matched pair.

I also remember thinking that it was probably just some lame salesman's trick, but that if it was true, I remember thinking that I hope the guy from Maryland has a sense of humor!

Nice... so the guy was willing to sell the ambulance before the arrangements with the guy flying in to see it got there.

There is a class act !

More like a F*%#$@G A*&%$#E !

:twak:

Darren

I wanna say it was 2000. I say that because I bought my 1980 Superior Cadillac hearse in 1999, and the reason I was interested in the flower car was because it was a 1980 Cadillac, so I figured I could have a matched pair.

I also remember thinking that it was probably just some lame salesman's trick, but that if it was true, I remember thinking that I hope the guy from Maryland has a sense of humor!
My trip there could have been in 2000, not certain. But if it was me and he sold it to you while I was flying out, no, I would not have had a sense of humor about it, not at all.

Nice... so the guy was willing to sell the ambulance before the arrangements with the guy flying in to see it got there.

There is a class act !

More like a F*%#$@G A*&%$#E !

:twak:

Darren

That is exactly what i was thinking.. what a doosh... Some one is flying in and your going to sell something from underneath him. Just that statement alone (true or not) would have pissed me off about the guy.

I sold Lew that 1958 flower car. The motor was lock up 10 years ago. The car was one of the cars that I bought from the Walgreen Cadillac collection. The car was a rough car ten years ago. The pics make it look better than it actually is. Somewhere I have a few pics I took back then. I was never able to determine the coach builder. It may have been a custom built back alley conversion. Lew is a nice guy to talk with BUT if you deal with him use extreme caution, his reputation proceeds him around town.

Patrick, if you remember he brought the 80 flower car to one of the Stay Central meets. He won a trophy for best flower car ( it was the only flower car) I think that was the last time that car saw the road. The 80 flower car is looking sad these days.

Patrick, if you remember he brought the 80 flower car to one of the Stay Central meets. He won a trophy for best flower car ( it was the only flower car) I think that was the last time that car saw the road. The 80 flower car is looking sad these days.

I do remember the car at Stay Central. I was actually excited when I saw it pull in with a for sale sign on it, until I went over to it and discovered it was the same car and the same seller from when I first looked at it eight years prior!

I learned of the car back in 2000 from a simple classified newspaper ad that said simply 1980 Cadillac Flower Car, and gave a phone number, so I called. I was told "just out of service, no rust, runs great", so I said I was coming out tomorrow to look at it, and he gave me directions to his "classic car dealership" as he called it.

Well I drove past the place twice looking for his non-existant dealership, before I finally turned up a weeded gravel driveway that had a mailbox with the right number on it. Well what he called a dealership, me and anyone else would call a junkyard. Cars sunk in the mud, doubtful any of them actually ran, some complete with trees growing where the engines should be.

When I finally saw the flower car, which even had the flower area loaded with old tires for good measure, I have to admit I didn't see any obvious rust, but what he didn't tell me was that it looked like it had been in a demo derby. But I figured I'd ask what he wanted for it anyway. Answer...$8500. Out of curiosity, I asked about a few other cars I saw rotting away. Everything was $7000 - $12,000, because as I was told, they're all antiques. Needless to say, he didn't get any of my money.

As Bruce stated, something like eight years later, he brings the flower car to a pro-car show that Bruce held and I was at. Eight years later he still hasn't sold the car, now it is rusting, and its still $8500. Go figure.

Bruce and Patrick, here is a couple pics I took of that 80 at stay central. I couldnt believe what he wanted for it then, and now! Anyone know who built it? My 85 Superior is next to it. Boy those last ride things were retarded, I still regret them, glad I grew up.

1980 1.jpg

1980 2.jpg

Thanks for the pics, John. But this is one of those cases where the readers of this thread need to know that that car never looked anywhere near that good in person!

That car had a horendous gas leak, it left a big dead spot im the grass. He drove that car back to his lot and it has never moved under its own power again. The car is really bad now. Flower cars in general don't hold up to weather of any kind when they are taken care of let alone parked out side for decades

Thanks for the pics, John. But this is one of those cases where the readers of this thread need to know that that car never looked anywhere near that good in person!

Very true. the pictures make it look 100% better than it looked in person. The picture was taken before my digital camera days and was a scan from film so it lost detail. In another post Bruce mentioned the gas leak, I remember that, I almost moved my car, I thought it was going to catch on fire if started. It also had cracked manifolds and sounded like the junker that it was.

Nice guy.

Around 2005 Lew shows up at a car show at the Lake County, Il. Fairgrounds. He proceeds to boot one of my daughters out of a lawn chair, and sit down and tell me why I needed to sell him the three vehicles I had there( back when I had cars). I had my 73 Superior high top, my 1971 combo, and my 1967 International/BOyer fire engine.Collectively, I had paid $16,000.00 for these three and all were in really nice shape. He offered to give me 7500.00 for all three together, and explained that I didnt't realize what I had, and he had buyers who would appreciate these vehicles for what they were. My cars were very clean and equipped to be period correct. I sent him packing. Sorry, he's anything but a nice guy in my book. And I drive by that junkyard eight or nine times a year. The "inventory" doesn't change, it just gets scruffier. That International has been there at least 14 years.

Thought I was but after talking with the others who were with me, I had my people mixed. Both were there that day, and my daughter even recalls someone else calling him Lou.

Back