JM's Superior Fall 2011 Update

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
This fall and winter I plan on focusing on the patient's compartment. I ended up fixing more things than I expected last summer, which distracted me from working on the car's interior.

Here is what I hope to accomplish this winter:

Medicine Cabinet
I took the cabinet apart and sent it to a local paint shop to have it sandblasted and repainted. I have ordered new edging to replace what was on the top and the bottom of the cabinet. The edging that was at the bottom of the cabinet was corroded and needs to be replaced.

The cabinet originally came with only one oxygen cylinder, but sometime between 67 and now, someone made a hole in the top of the cabinet to insert a second tank. This was not a professional job and needs to be either fixed, or replace the cabinet top all together.

Floor and flooring material
After looking for the Armstrong Colonial Classic flooring material for three years, I have decided that if by Christmas I have not found any, that I will go with something else. Right now, I am thinking of replacing the current flooring material with the grey Industrial flooring that we see in the hospitals. Also, I will most likely replace the floor plywood that I installed 2 years ago. I find that it feels “springy”. I want something that will feel more solid.

Textured Aluminum
I will be replacing the textured aluminum found in the patient compartment with all new material. I received some quotes from a couple of suppliers and will be putting an order next week.

Vinyl.
The vinyl covering that is found in the patient’s compartment below the windows also need to be replaced. It is all dried-up and cracked. I will also have the vinyl doors covering replaces when I install the new textured aluminum.

Windows
The windows are still leaking. I removed the rear windows (again) and I am in the process of putting them back in place. I think that I now know where the water was coming from, so I will pay more attention and will take my time to make sure that the water stays out.

Carrier Bearing
With the help of Martin Harvey I have found a pace that can get me a new carrier bearing. I plan to have that done early in the new year.

As always, I want to thank Ed for his help, suggestions and pointers. I'm sure that he must get tired of the questions I send him, but so far, he always replies...

I'll post pictures when things are back together.

Flooring
I did call the carpet cave, but they do not have ant Colonial Classic in-stock.

Textured Aluminum
I have received the textured aluminum that I ordered. I got it from a company called Ridigized Metals (www.rigidized.com). I have already replaced the material from the folding attendant seat. More on this once I attack the doors...

Medicine Cabinet
I have received the medicine cabinet back from the body shop, buffed the top stainless part (800, 1000 & 2000 sandpaper) many times and installed black rubber mats on the bottom shelves. The top and bottom trim were also replaced. I got the trim from Eagle Mouldings (http://eaglemouldingsinc.com/BarFaceNosing.aspx). As you can see from the pictures, I now need to paint the oxygen bottles.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Colonial Classic

I once ordered it special order through Home Depot. When it arrived, some info on the warehouse it came from was included. So when I was looking a few years back, I called them and I called Armstrong. I was told by everyone that it has been discontinued. The very first time I bought it I was told that Armstrong committed to never discontinue it since Mr. Armstrong himself designed it. Well so much for that. I have gone into large and small flooring stores just for grins and they all tell me the same thing- discontinued.
I recall my parents telling me that they had that linoleum in the kitchen when I was growing up. Then I realized it was even on the floor in an apartment I rented. Why this was discontinued goes along with the other big questions of life (why was the Caprice discontinued, why was the Towncar discontinued, etc etc.....)
Kevin

We were watching TV a while back and saw a story on a vintage linoleum store in New York City. I remember corectly it was called "Second hand Rose" just guessing. But I did end up finding the store on the net and visiting the store. Although I do not recall the entire selection, I do remember the outrageous stuff I could never of imagined going down on a floor whether Kitchen or other. I am going to look for it again.

We hit paydirt. The faux finish selection looks like it is right for what you ambulance guys are looking for. Lots of brick, tile, etc.

Replaced almost all of the plywood from the patient compartment. In case anyone is wondering, you need 3 4x8 sheets to do the following:

Floor - 3 sections
Wheel well covers - left and right
Bulkhead cover

Still have to cut out the door for the rear floor compartment and install the miscellaneous brackets, etc.

I got some new grey vinyl that looks exactly like the original, so I will be replacing the vinyl that was on the wheel well covers, bulkhead, doors, etc. Looks like I may also be able to replace the headliner, the upholstery shop that is helping me found the exact match for the headliner material and pattern.

I am still hoping for a miracle and find some Colonial Classic flooring, but I am not holding my breath.

picture.php

picture.php

Moving ahead piece by piece.

Giving up on DIY uphu

I have been practicing with some vinyl to get ready for the final installation, and have decided that upholstery is not for me. I still get high on the smell of glue, get all of my fingers stuck together and the final product looks like an amateur job.

I will be calling the upholstery shop this week to schedule an appointment, resistance was futile!

On another note, I have ordered replacement window belt weatherstrip and U channels. I hope that I will have better luck with those than with the upholstery project......

Note: Subject line was supposed to be "Giving up on DIY upholstery"

If you see the shows where people do this for a living they really make it look easy. I learned along time ago some things are better left to the pros, all I manage to do is make a bigger mess and end up paying more to have them fix my f$%^ ups!

If you see the shows where people do this for a living they really make it look easy. I learned along time ago some things are better left to the pros, all I manage to do is make a bigger mess and end up paying more to have them fix my f$%^ ups!

Been there, done that....almost did it again!

We are one step closer to have a new floor.

Option #1 is still to find the elusive Armstrong Colonial Classic Red Brick Pattern, but I hold little hope to find any.

Option #2 was to install Armstrong Lucky # 35929, but only to find out that is now discontinued.

Option #3 is to find a similar pattern as the floor in the 69 which is Armstrong Corlon "something" with gold speckles, which is of course discontinued. However, one of the local flooring shop can get me the modern version that has smaller grains and no speckles. Product is called Armstrong Corlon Desert Sand ( http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details_toolbox_magnify.jsp?item_id=94726 ). If I am really lucky, they can find a leftover piece for a really good price, and if I am really really lucky maybe some Colonial Classic. I should know within the next few days.

Option #4 is to get light grey "industrial" flooring similar to what was in the car when I go it.

I am looking forward to get this done. It has been dragging for way too long, and as you know, when things drag out too long and you keep looking at the car all apart, it is easy to get discouraged, so hopefully we’ll get going again soon.

Received all of the upholstry back a couple of weeks ago, and went to pick-up 10 feet of Armstrong Corlon Desert Sand after work. If everything goes well, the new floor will be in by next weekend and I will then be able to re-install the medicine cabinet, attendant seats, etc.

I also re-installed the back side windows and trim. This time I did not go light on the sealer, so hopefully this will resolve the water leakage issues from those windows.

The new carrier bearing I got from Texas was installed this week. It fits like a glove. One less thing to worry about.

Back