Interesting conversation in Auburn

Tom Hoczyk

PCS Past President
Does anyone recognize the man sitting down in this photo? He is the owner of a well known Auto Museum in Illinois. He was wearing a shirt identifying himself as such. I just happened to come across him while browsing the car corral area yesterday in Auburn. Our verbatim conversation:

Tom: "You work for ....... (Museum)?"
Man: "Yes"
Tom: "You have the Ghostbusters car!!!"
Man: "Yes, we have over 150 movie cars."
Tom: "It's the real one from the movie?"
Man: "Yes"
Tom: (intentionally repeating) "It's the one they actually used for filming?"
"Man: "Yes"

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 417
When dealing with a car salesman, the saying "If his lips are moving, he's probably lying" is usually true. (Notice i said "usually". There are exceptions!)

It is amazing how a guy can look at you and lie, especially when it seems to be a well known fact, that it isn't the original Ghostbuster.

Isn't there a saying about if you tell a lie enough times even you'll start to believe it? Interestingly, there is another Illinois auto museum, Historic Auto Attractions in the town of Roscoe just north of the city of Rockford, that claims that their Superior-bodied '59 Cadillac is also the one actually used in the movie. Amazing.

Having been to Volo many times simply because I live very close to it and it is a popular location for local car shows, their claim that their Eureka-bodied '59 Cadillac is the real Ghostbusters car is just one of multiple reasons why I have no respect for that place. It is definitely a place that hype rather than fact built. They clearly make their money off the gullible general public, but I advise genuine car people to not support this place with their time or money.

Last edited:
Tom

Next time you see the guy... ask him if he knew that the Ghostbuster's cars were actually MM's, NOT Eureka's !

Tell him you can fool some of the people but you can't fool them all, especially a Eureka Man !

:thumbsup:

Darren

Roger bay original ghostbuster car (chicago)

As some older members may recall, Roger Bay of Tower ambulance in Chicago supplied the very first vehicle for the movie. No time for discussions...just trying to set the record straight. C-W Coach Sales has original images of it when it was for sale locally for $750. Larry Sears

that guy and his GB coach

I wrote to the museum in question when they started touting their Eureka coach as the real thing several years ago. In my letter I explained the real movie coach was a Miller-Meteor. At this date I am still waiting on the reply I encouraged them to send. The fact that they blatantly lie about this car would make me hesitant to buy a car from them.
Mike

Darren, I had seen this man many times in Auburn over the years, and many times I thought of doing just what you suggested. Each time, though, I just thought no, just let it go. But this time, with him seated comfortably with easy access, I thought I'd have a little fun, just to see what he would say. The answers I posted are exactly as uttered by him. It was more fun for me to get answers to my questions than it would be for him to feel trapped when someone knew the truth. HE knows the truth. Telling lies is obviously part of his nature. I felt sorry for his wife. Maybe I shouldn't.

Volo sold that Eureka ecto last fall & are almost finished building a new ecto out of a 60 miller meteor that was completely rusted out. they have a 59 sedan donor car. their Terminator hearse is the actual hearse used in the movie. Ecto and most others, no. Alot of their cars are signed by George Barris, though none are Barris cars. I dont get it.

You took a different approach than I would have Tom. After baiting, you perfectly set up what would have been my next question:

"Then how does Volo explain bugging Jeff Barb for this coach until he sold under the premise of keeping original as it was in '08/'09, a regret he still has to this day..?"

Many years ago, I did call him out while at Volo. Most of you know how I can get, but when I saw it I just had to say something. I called someone in charge, and he came out, along with another high up and tried to tell me I was wrong when I told him it was not even the correct coachbuilder and they looked nothing alike. I had him look at the movie clips playing and of course you can tell it is not the same. There was a big crowd growing that also was starting to notice it didn't even look close after I pointed out the differences. My girlfriend even grabbed an Ecto model that they were selling and again showed them all the differences. His reply was well, this is the one that was supposed to be used for the movie. BS. I was getting all worked up about it being fake and he said it was not that big of a deal. I told him yes, it was and that I drove well over 5 hours just to see it and its a fake, not even made by the same coachbuilder, and all these people see it clear as day too. I said the least he could do was return my admittance fee. Of course he wouldn't even do that. There should be some kind of laws keeping business from making money of fakes advertised as the real deal.

A true sign of the gentleman you are by not calling him out in public,you are much richer and respected for it

Your post is titled "Respect" - respect for what, and for whom?

By claiming this car (and others he has) is genuine, this man and his staff are lying to everyone that visits - or asks about - his collection. He needs to be called out publicly; preferably, in a respected national venue with a large audience such as Hemmings or Old Cars Weekly. Perhaps a visit from the 60 Minutes crew would help, as well.

I wonder if he and our old friend Mr. Lazarus are related?

Last edited:
My title respect applies solely to Tom,as it seems many have corrected this guy as to what he doesn't have it just ain't sinking in,so Tom knowing and not making a scene has my respect,for that act alone,

Volo sold that Eureka ecto last fall & are almost finished building a new ecto out of a 60 miller meteor that was completely rusted out. they have a 59 sedan donor car. their Terminator hearse is the actual hearse used in the movie. Ecto and most others, no. Alot of their cars are signed by George Barris, though none are Barris cars. I dont get it.

It's because Barris will sign anything if you pay him enough.

Back