Insuring Your Six Door Limo

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
It seems that the more modern six door limos are becoming popular in The PCS. I was wondering what insurance companies you folks are using, in other words, are the six door limos insured under your collector insurance?

The reason I ask, is this; I have been with Hagerty for years and I am very satisfied with them. However, I have noticed over the past couple of years that sometimes they don't seem interested in insuring certain cars. I have had to speak with a supervisor and talk at length to get a few cars covered that they felt were "too new" or "not collectible" and I have not even gotten to the 1992 six door we just bought. So, this is why I would like to know which collector insurance companies are more receptive to these cars.

I would really hate to leave Hagerty, because I think they are a fabulous company and they genuinely care about the collector car hobby. But, I hate to beg for somebody to take my money.

Please tell us your experiences.

A word to the wise, stay far away from Progressive. We learned just last week that they dropped 3 of our coaches without warning. When I called to find out what happened they simply replied "the cars dropped are hearses, we cannot insure the body". A crock, yes, so we merged them in with another policy that we have written through Allstate.

Hagerty is great most of the time. Past experiences with them being selective is somewhat of an understatement as I am known to have a variety of old commercial vehicles. However, if the vehicle is newer I have noticed they are much less adept to cover it.

Over the past 18 years I have used Allstate and State Farm for my coaches. Every once in awhile I give others chance with new additions but most are sub-par to my main coverage companies.

I refuse to hold commercial insurance on my coaches since I do not use them in a commercial setting. This has always been a hurdle over the years since most agents do not understand an "enthusiast", even if there is a fleet of cars.

Stay away from Geico too. Just like Darryl and his experience with Progressive, Geico dropped me saying that they don't insure "custom cars". When I complained that the cars were stock, they said that GM didn't build them that way, so they are custom, and they're not insuring them.

Also like Darryl, I also went to Allstate, and they not only said "no problem" but they were also cheaper than what I was paying Geico to boot.

My six door is my daily driver, so I didn't even try to insure it through Haggerty, but all my other cars are with Haggerty, and I've had no problems or complaints.

Insurance

You should try Grundy, Just added my 56 flower car, I just called , they pulled up my policy and said your covered for your agreed value they sent me the insurance card by e-mail and said we'll send you a bill... very simple, I checked several other companys Grundy was still cheaper.

I have both the Austin Mini and the 87 Eureka with Hagerty up here in Canada with no problem I had the coach appraised and well as the Mini so maybe thats what u need to do is get the limo appraised ??

Actually, I have had every single hearse, ambulance and limousine that I have owned since I am with Hagerty, insured through Hagerty with no problem. But, they get a bit difficult with cars of the 80s and newer. They told me that the concern is that someone may use it for every day transportation, which obviously they do not want. But, in my case, these cars are rarely used. Under normal circumstances, my cars rarely go more than 500 to 1,000 miles annually, unless we are traveling to an Int'l Meet, which we have not done in a number of years. Actually, when they insure my collector cars, regardless of the year of the car, they are insuring a car that stays in a locked garage for the majority of the time. We will occassionally go to a show, cruise night, club meeting, etc, but my cars have always been used the way Hagerty wants them used.

Hi Bill,
I have had very good relationship with J.C. Taylor. I have Four 6 doors and a few other cars, including your former Chrysler, with them with no problem adding, removing or value.

Hi Bill,
I have had very good relationship with J.C. Taylor. I have Four 6 doors and a few other cars, including your former Chrysler, with them with no problem adding, removing or value.

I have never had a problem with Hagerty, except I have to convince them sometimes, when a car is a little too modern.

One thing to keep in mind, is that Haggerty, J.C. Taylor, and all the rest of the names that insure collector cars are actually agents for the insurance companies, and have to justify their actions to the insurance companies that they represent. Just like your local agent can write a policy for you, it is the insurance company that is ultimately responsible for that insurance contract. The insurance companies rely on the integrity of the agent to know how a particular vehicle is going to be used, and most modern cars are not used or considered "collector" cars in the true sense of the meaning. When you are transfered to someone in the underwriting department for a determination, that person usually is an employee of the insurance company, not the agency.

Paul you are correct. I do not know why I did not mention it, I have been a general claims adjusrter for 25 years. Even a broker has some input if he has a enough of the product and he can sell and the carrier can make money. JCT has a mid section to its collector policy and I have some 1990s cars that are insured with the same coverage but at a lower rate then some of the big known carriers. All carriers have some restrictions, but I can still only drive them one at a time.

The only issue I have had with Hagerty, was several years ago they were pushing some option of towing services (similar to Triple A) for a small fee. I bought it one year and the only time I needed it, the additional cost to use it was cost prohibitive... so I did not get it the next year...

I have had my hearses insured with Cotton States, Liberty Mutual and now Travelers. The VIN says they are Fleetwood Broughams and it stops at that. Earlier ones I had on the commercial chassis, I told them hearse and no problem.
This part is a no brainer, don't use your limo for hire! If you do, and you have an accident, can you say potential law suit? When I had mine, I was asked many time for proms and such. My response was "I'd love to, but if anything were to happen, your mom an dad will bury me in this car. Sorry NO!"

I have everything with State Farm. they have to be 30 yo to meet there old car insurance but they cover the 6 door as it was only other personal car. with the value of them being what they are and I know were parts are all I carry on it is liability and 100% comp. that one runs us about 24 a month to keep and we put it on holiday half the year.

Hagerty is the best.

Bill, I have my '96 Cadillac 6-door limo insured with Hagerty and have never had a negative issue. In fact, I had a claim about 3 years ago when that deer and I met up one night in dense fog as I was driving home from Jeremy Ledford's house. I submitted a claim for the damage and Hagerty wrote a check immediately. They even called me back 3 days later and asked if I had a tow bill also. [I had just paid the wrecker driver cash out of my pocket to pull me out of the ditch and then I drove the car home]. So they then sent me another check to cover the tow bill. Hagerty could not have been nicer. I also had my 1989 Rolls Royce Silver Spur insured with them until I sold it last year. All they ever asked for was a picture of my garage that I store my cars in.

Bill, I have my '96 Cadillac 6-door limo insured with Hagerty and have never had a negative issue. In fact, I had a claim about 3 years ago when that deer and I met up one night in dense fog as I was driving home from Jeremy Ledford's house. I submitted a claim for the damage and Hagerty wrote a check immediately. They even called me back 3 days later and asked if I had a tow bill also. [I had just paid the wrecker driver cash out of my pocket to pull me out of the ditch and then I drove the car home]. So they then sent me another check to cover the tow bill. Hagerty could not have been nicer. I also had my 1989 Rolls Royce Silver Spur insured with them until I sold it last year. All they ever asked for was a picture of my garage that I store my cars in.

Thanks Larry! I also had a claim with Hagerty and they were fabulous!

Back