Got my own now.

Jay,
As mentioned, pull the plug from the bottom of the door and let drain. Is your storage covered and out of the rain? If so, dry it out and don't worry. I had a 1981 Town Car with the same problem when it was new. I pulled the rubber plugs and left the door open on a slant after washing and solved the problem. I had a thought early this morning concerning boiling over. GM cars in the mid 1970's had a separate plastic holding tank for coolant expansion. When the car was turned, off the radiator fluid would expand into the plastic reservoir. Is this reservoir cracked? I never asked if the HOT warning light came on.

Found the 'Shiny dash/upholstery' thread by Doug House. I'll use some Meguiar's on the dash.
Philip: My storage is outside, overflow tank is whole, and high temp light did come on, but only when it was/is too late. When everything gets changed, I'll add a regular temp gauge to it.

you have a MM of the later years. the problem with the door is when they skinned it they slid the outer skin over the drain holes or at least half of them. use a 1/4 inch bit re drill them. now me I go with Richard if it's vinyl
it gets the tire foam and wiped with a terry cloth, cracks dug out with a paint brush while the foam is still active. fast cheap and easy to find. plus it works

Attachments

• 12 if you can find the hole  clean it out.jpg
    12 if you can find the hole clean it out.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 253
this is what you find on a lot of MM. the skin it's self is covering half or all the drain hole in the door frame. I find one of the spot weld cutters works will also to open up the drain hole or put in a new one.

Attachments

• 06 found the front hole covered over with the door skin.jpg
    06 found the front hole covered over with the door skin.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 237
I personally do not see a problem with Armor All, as long as its used sparingly, and not slathered on in thick coats every week. Ive always used it on my interior vinyl and also vinyl tops and not one issue yet. I love the wipes, its much easier to spread thin. When using it on the Vinyl top, and only once or twice a year, I do it in the sun, and let the sun bake it in all day. No streaking next time it gets wet either.
Its just a matter of personal preference, just like what wax is the best, and the Ford VS Chevy debate. In the end they are all good and all bad.

I was just reading this thread about plugged drain holes in the doors, so I went to check the Horton because she sat outside for yrs and sure enough some were plugged

thanks

Thought I would answer Richard's question on my own thread. lol

The overheating problem is still there, haven't had the money to start doing anything serious with it yet; plus the fact of it being stored 3 hours away doesn't help. But I get over to it about once a month to tinker with it. I was able to get to it over Labor Day weekend and did a lot of little things to it. All the doors except the #2 DS door open and close easily now. WD-40 in keyholes and down lock rods works wonders. Door mentioned still won't budge however. Took a battery terminal cleaner to the bier pin holes. They were so corroded the pins wouldn't fit. Also scraped the remnants of the old pads off with a razor blade and put new ones on the pins. Put a sunshade in so the dash will last longer too. Like Ed has said previously, just do a little bit at a time.
I've hopefully managed to source the missing curtain rods and a few other things I need for it. We'll see.

Last edited:
Back