For Sale 1973 Ambulance

Nicholas' 3rd paragraph that begins with, "It is disappointing to me that many folks only connection to the vehicles we own is that movie..." That's it. Thanks Nicholas...
I owned a 1978 Superior Transport ambulance for 10 years, I had my fun with it. But instead of it being a part of history and something interesting, 95% of the attention given to it was the "Ghostbusters" comment. For the car enthusiast, how someone can mistake a 1978 Cadillac for a 1959 Cadillac, we'll just never understand. I think I experienced a higher than usual aggravated reaction to these comments than most PCS members.
One of the last car shows I went to, I overheard two guys talking who said, "Man, that guy did a p&*$ poor job of making that hearse a Ghostbusters..."
I had a fireman to tell me that my car looked EXACTLY like the Ghostbusters car, to which I pointed to his fire bay and said, "Do you think that 1979 ALF looks like that 2004 Sutphen?" and he said, "Gosh no, ofcourse not..."
I will post the my former 1978 Superior Transport (now owned by Dennis Goethe) below and you can check the resemblance...

I think what you, Mr. Royark, and Mr. Vyse note is very simple. The mind interprets things it hasn't seen before in the perspective of what it knows. Except for "old movies," where else have folks seen a professional car before? Particularly an ambulance? Few are likely spending their time like us analyzing their recent viewings for the appearance of a Miller-Meteor don't you know...

Thus - the Ghostbusters movie provides the sole lens upon which a non-"Monster Medic" ambulance can be interpreted when encountered in "the wild." I'm sure when it's at an EMS or fire display - or otherwise associated in that fashion - the mental connection can be made easier. The RCFD Pinner-Chrysler seems appropriately received more frequently when sitting in front of the Fire Museum. Then again - probably also helps it has "Fire Dept Rescue Squad" emblazoned on the doors - and just like the "ECNALUBMA" on today's ambulances makes it easier to process. Folks may have no idea what they're seeing in a museum until the placard tells them.

I wish there were some better way to do public outreach on this subject. The National EMS Museum is more virtual than anything - the exhibitions primarily target EMS professionals. Sadly enough as described - we/they probably need it more than anyone. Fire Museums are common, but ambulances aren't even "second string" to most of them in what they wish to display.

Back