Flower Cars in the Pacific NW

NJ Dorsey

How rare are flower cars in the Pacific NW compared to other parts of the country? I'd love to own one and it seems like it would be a lot easier to drive and park one in the city than a hearse or ambulance. And I imagine flower car owners face less threats of vandalism than hearse or ambulance owners? But they seem VERY rare. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for professional cars and yet I think I've only seen ONE flower car in my entire life.

Flower cars were far more common in the Northeast -- NY, Boston, Philly, New Jersey, and the Detroit and Chicago area than anywhere else. Very few were ever used on the West Coast. They've always been fairly rare. Good ones are extremely few and far between. But they're out there. You have to just keeping looking and waiting.....

I only remember one in the PNW in the Seattle area -- a very nice 1976 Superior-Cadillac. I forget the owner's name. I believe he has since passed on. We had it in TPC.

Thanks Walt and Atilla, I would be interested in any that was mechanically sound and within my budget. But you're right, I see them pop up in other parts of the country only. I might have to travel to get one.

I have a 1973 Superior Cadillac Coupe De Fleur, you say easier city parking?, trust me these are not easy to park anywhere, let alone city parking..:)

Attachments

• 1973 CDF.jpg
    1973 CDF.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 482
Hmmm...well my '58 isn't for sale Noah and not knowing a budget makes it difficult to point in a direction. There are a few decent examples currently (or recently) available from private parties:

'65 MM in Scranton, PA was just posted on CLC
'65 Superior in MI
'67 Superior on Chattanooga CL for over 2 years now (search flower wagon)
'70 Superior in OH

Carl possibly also still has a few unlisted on his site ('64 MM, '80s Eureka, '80s Lincoln). I've been holding out acquiring another flower car until a '95-'96 Eagle surfaces to round out that portion of my collection. :17875:

I only remember one in the PNW in the Seattle area -- a very nice 1976 Superior-Cadillac. I forget the owner's name. I believe he has since passed on. We had it in TPC.

Your'e thinking of Parker Buck Jr's car. Yes, he passed away shortly before I joined the PCS in 2003. I knew him back in late 1970's when he had a set of 1956 Cadillac funeral cars.

'65 Superior in MI
'70 Superior in OH

13318498273_99eb61379d_b.jpg

13318340325_b1a844deef_b.jpg

...it seems like it would be a lot easier to drive and park one in the city than a hearse or ambulance. And I imagine flower car owners face less threats of vandalism than hearse or ambulance owners? ...
I wouldn't think it would be any easier to drive or park in the city as a flower car is the same length and width as a hearse or ambulance, and has blind spots that are just as bad (maybe worse). And I don't know that it would be any less a target of vandalism (other than fewer large windows). I would hope a FC owner would keep it in a garage for better parking and protection. They are rare.

.............and they REALLY don't like being exposed to the elements! You get LOTS of rain in the North-West!

Noah, trust me when I tell you that my '53 Eureka flower car is a bear to park, about equal to my '54 Eureka landau hearse. A flower car from the late '60's or '70's would be easier only because of improved mirrors. A limousine style car would be far easier than any flower car that I know of.

My 1975 Superior Coupe DeFluer is anything but easy to park and more maneuverable in an urban setting. In my opinion the only thing a full fledge flower car is practical for is pomp and circumstance. Flower cars have a unsurpassed presence.

I have a 1970 McClain flower car which is by no means in the class of a full flower car, especially in the quality of build. One good thing about the McClain is they are no more rust prone than a standard Cadillac. The plywood does rot however. Since The McClains are actually just a converted Calais coupes. I would say they are much more maneuverable then a full flower car. We use our McClain as a shop truck. You can actually see out the rear window.

now I seam to recall some one posting the add for a pair of late 90.s McClain's out in Seattle. one of the Chicago style would be nice for a get around rig. they pop up now and then at strange time never when I looking or have funds. her is a example of a different one off crags list. if you pick your unit you can get one that fits your criteria. but you not going to go down to the locale car lot tomorrow and do it most likely

Attachments

• 1993 caprice flower car.jpg
    1993 caprice flower car.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 353
I read all the comments regarding how hard they are to park. I don't know how it can be any harder to park than a full size hearse, since they are the same dimensions. Maybe I just find a hearse easy to park because they have been my daily drivers for 24 years.

So what is your budget? That will help a lot if people know what price range you have to work with

I'm sure the comments about flower cars being hard to park are based on the full-size, commercial chassis, casket-capable cars. I have been a passenger in such a flower car, and based solely on that experience, I will have to admit that it did seem like a car that was built to only ever be driven forward due to visibility issues. I don't know why they even bother putting a rear window on such cars, it is completely useless, and would be more accurately described as being a sunroof. Now with that being said, I have no doubt that if I owned such a car, I would get used to it.

I'm glad that the standard wheelbase flower car conversions are starting to be mentioned in this thread. That's the kind of flower car I have, converted from a 1979 Lincoln Town Coupe, with an open well for the flowers. Now visibility on that car is a breeze. No matter where I turn my head, I'm looking out a window. I've also heard several PCS members say that the reason they own such a pro-car is because it would fit in their garage.

IMO a coachbuilt commercial-glass flower car has cool factor right up there with a Criterion ambulance,maybe more.Anyone looking to acquire a flower car,whether mint original,restored,or needing restoration,has only an eight word rule of thumb to follow:

Bring your checkbook.
Bring your other checkbook,too.

I don't know how it can be any harder to park than a full size hearse, since they are the same dimensions.

I don't know why they even bother putting a rear window on such cars, it is completely useless, and would be more accurately described as being a sunroof.

Patrick hit the coffin nail squarely - unless driving with rear loading door open on some models...

13333457173_170453a247_b.jpg

...only real purpose is allowing more light into front compartment. Note location of rear view mirror in comparison.

13333460303_500d3cf004_b.jpg

More akin to driving a box truck than a hearse. No shoulder checks & no use of rear view. Stuff that takes adjusting to if unfamiliar, that's all.

Back