Classy Cadillacs

Those better versed can ID coach builders. '36 LaSalle ambulance:

35lasalle1b.jpg

35lasalle1.jpg

Bet these two with '37 LaSalle ambulance got all the chicks. Who has better eyes and can read that long side nameplate?

37lasalle.jpg

Really should open this last shot up to a caption contest. Or suggestions for heads to Photoshop/swap. ;)

The dark-colored one is a Meteor Model 505. The style of the rear quarter ambulance art glass was exclusive to Meteors of this vintage.

LaSalle Ambulance Service, Buffalo, N.Y.

I'm sure they did get all the chicks - to paraphrase a line from a famous movie - I bet most of them were flat on their backs and bleeding.:yum:

I got the same answer with a little photographic help..

Attachments

• 37lasalle neg.jpg
    37lasalle neg.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Steve...Outstanding photo of that '73 Lifeliner from Chester, NJ. Thanks for posting it here.

My pleasure! One of these days, I'd like to spend a week on the east coast to photograph all of the real ambulances still owned by fire departments, rescue squads, and first aid squads in DE, PA, and NJ.

My pleasure! One of these days, I'd like to spend a week on the east coast to photograph all of the real ambulances still owned by fire departments, rescue squads, and first aid squads in DE, PA, and NJ.

Steve,

Let me know when you want to visit the Garden State. The Northeast Chapter has invited the squads that still own real ambulancs to some car shows.

Here is the NJ List:

1939 LaSalle Flxible Woodbridge Emergency Squad
1964 Cadillac S&S Willingboro First Aid Squad
1972 Cadillac S&S Washington Emergency Squad
1979 Cadillac Superior Twin W First Aid Squad
1949 Chevrolet Hamilton First Aid Squad
1972 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Somerville Rescue Squad
1973 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Volunteer Sayreville Emergency Squad
1972 Cadillac Superior 54 Liberty Corner First Aid Squad
1971 Cadillac Superior 54 Hillsborough First Aid Squad
1965 Cadillac Superior 48 Elberon First Aid Squad
1957 Cadillac S&S Cranbury First Aid Squa
1973 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Lifeliner Chester First Aid Squad
1976 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Lifeliner Arbor Rescue Squad
1964 Pontiac National Washington Twsp. Ambulance
1952 Chevrolet Vincentown Emergency Squad

* The Hillsborough car is in sad shape and Somerville is in need of a restoration

If your going to be in the neighborhood, come on over to Rhode Island. I know of 63 Rescuer you are more than welcome to photograph, as well as some vintage Seagrave, and Maxim fire apparatus it will be boarding with temporarily.

Here is the NJ List:

1979 Cadillac Superior Twin W First Aid Squad
1972 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Somerville Rescue Squad

* The Hillsborough car is in sad shape and Somerville is in need of a restoration

I wish I had better shots of these cars, but...I don't.

Photos of many of the other NJ cars on your list are already on this site.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Twin W.jpg
    Twin W.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,412
  • Somerville NJ.jpg
    Somerville NJ.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,956
Last edited:
Here is the NJ List:

Does Lumberton still have their '69 Rescuer? It's not shown on their website, but I was recently told it was still there.

(SL photos from 1990 - taken a little late in the evening, but I wasn't about to pass up the chance!)

Attachments

• Lumberton LF.jpg
    Lumberton LF.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Lumberton RR.jpg
    Lumberton RR.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,261
Last edited:
Mr. Johnston told me that, the second time he repainted this car, he left the roof trim off - and had the holes filled - because it retained water and caused rust:

Johnston A.S. (Selma, NC)
1972 M-M 54"

Ken, Carl Woerner, Dale Cooper, and I spent a couple of days procar hunting in the Atlanta area in the spring of 1985. Ken had just purchased this car in Ohio and was on the way home with it. He had the wheel covers and fender skirts off so he could keep an eye on the wheels, bearings, and lug nuts while traveling. Had I been as picky then as I later became, I would've put the driver's side items back on for this picture. I sure wish now that I had:

Ken Elliott (Orlando, FL)
1975 S&S 55"

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Johnston Selma NC.jpg
    Johnston Selma NC.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,366
  • Yaeger.jpg
    Yaeger.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,130
'56 Superior ambulance photos taken in 1973. '71 and '72 Superior flower cars were taken by Carl Woerner or Dale Cooper in the mid-'80s.
Kurt

Attachments

• scan0019.jpg
    scan0019.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,152
  • scan0020.jpg
    scan0020.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,118
"Ken, Carl Woerner, Dale Cooper, and I spent a couple of days procar hunting in the Atlanta area in the spring of 1985. Ken had just purchased this car in Ohio and was on the way home with it. He had the wheel covers and fender skirts off so he could keep an eye on the wheels, bearings, and lug nuts while traveling. Had I been as picky then as I later became, I would've put the driver's side items back on for this picture. I sure wish now that I had:

1975 S&S 55"

Steve,

I can help with the wheel covers:

(DeWinter-Karsnia collection)

Attachments

• 9329416-R1-E091.jpg
    9329416-R1-E091.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,099
"Ken, Carl Woerner, Dale Cooper, and I spent a couple of days procar hunting in the Atlanta area in the spring of 1985. Ken had just purchased this car in Ohio and was on the way home with it. He had the wheel covers and fender skirts off so he could keep an eye on the wheels, bearings, and lug nuts while traveling. Had I been as picky then as I later became, I would've put the driver's side items back on for this picture. I sure wish now that I had:

1975 S&S 55"

Steve,

I can help with the wheel covers:

(DeWinter-Karsnia collection)

this was one sharp ambulance back in its day...we used it as a loaner in Bucyrus before "Whitey" Yaeger bought it for his Lima service. We used it during the Bratwurst Festival as a standby at the festival and responded to a fully involved house fire in 100+ degree weather on Saturday evening. We transported two firefighters with it from heat exposure. It had a SUPERB ac unit in the patient compt. As I recall, it had a Federal Q between the tunnels and a 184 on the roof.

Back