Classy Cadillacs

Here's one for Mr. Bethlenfalvy

What a beauty! The beacon was fogged up because whoever had washed the car (just for the pictures, thank you) got a little close to it with the high pressure wand. I didn't have time to demount, disassemble, and towel dry it or I would have:

Beverage F.H. (Sandwich, IL)
1960 Crown Royale Limousine combination

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Beverage 60 SC front 001.jpg
    Beverage 60 SC front 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Beverage 60 SC rear 001.jpg
    Beverage 60 SC rear 001.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,233
Having grown up in the 50s, I do not remember much about any of the ambulances. My father worked part time for a funeral home that provided ambulance service and later full time for a private service that took over when the FH's got out of the business. My grandfather was also involved as he taught Red Cross first aid classes to nearly everyone in the county who ran on an ambulance as well as taking a week's vacation and running the First Aid station at the county fair. This is what got me started in EMS when I was 15 and progressed until I became a paramedic on a mobile intensive care unit and an ACLS instructor. Please keep posting any pics of these marvelous ambulances.

Well, this is on the modern side of things, but thought I'd post it here anyway. Had two Catholic funerals this morning at 10 AM. As I sometimes do, I rented a hearse from a friend / colleague. Even though this 2006 S&S (owned by Grandstrand Funeral Home in Lindstrom, MN) is not our fleet color, we like it because it is the only hearse - in addition to ours - in this immediate area, that has oval windows, is laden with chrome, has an electric extend table, and is extremely well kept.

This was more or less a "grab shot" outside our funeral home on Grand Avenue this morning.

Attachments

• C_12.jpg
    C_12.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,085
1973 S/C 54" cars from PA - Part I

Note how differently all four are equipped:

McKean Hose Co. (McKean, PA)
Wharton F.H. (Imperial, PA)

(SL collection)

Attachments

• McKean 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    McKean 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Wharton 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    Wharton 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
1973 S/C 54" cars from PA - Part II

Jackson Twp. Fire Co. (Mineral Point, PA)
Cranberry Twp., PA

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Jackson Twp 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    Jackson Twp 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 948
  • Cranberry Twp 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    Cranberry Twp 73 SC 54 001.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 941
Dyer Memorial Chapel (Tulsa, OK)
1975 Coupe de Fluer
1974 Sovereign Landaulet 3-way

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Dyer 75 SC FC 001.jpg
    Dyer 75 SC FC 001.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Dyer 74 SC 001.jpg
    Dyer 74 SC 001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 995
My guess would be that these cars had key-activated alarms.

The only fleet of these colors in the Tulsa area, it made for a distinctive - and even impressive - procession. Not too long after these photos were taken (1983), new burgundy A/S six-door limousines were purchased and these two cars were repainted to match. The coach had '75 or '76 headlight assemblies installed for sort of an update. After the owner died a few years ago, his family went to an all-white fleet...what a shame.

Last edited:
Dyer Fleet

Steve,

Thats the olny color photo I have seen of my old 75 Coupe de Fleur that Matt Taylor now owns. I agree the gold/black is much more interesting than the solid white. Do you have any pics of the Dyer fleet in Burgundy. When I bought that car several years ago they had a framed photo of a carved side Lasalle with 60's mag wheels on it in the lobby. Where is that car now?

My guess would be that these cars had key-activated alarms.

The only fleet of these colors in the Tulsa area, it made for a distinctive - and even impressive - procession. Not too long after these photos were taken (1983), new burgundy A/S six-door limousines were purchased and these two cars were repainted to match. The coach had '75 or '76 headlight assemblies installed for sort of an update. After the owner died a few years ago, his family went to an all-white fleet...what a shame.

Love those crests on the doors as well......

It is a small world

From the Pontiac thread:

"Thank you so much for posting the picture of that Tracy, MN ambulance! My mom grew up in Tracy, and my grandparents still live there. The pastor of their church, Homer Dobson, used to drive this ambulance. Growing up, I never knew this until I got my EMT certification 6 years ago. Homer has long since retired from the church and the ambulance service. But, every time I see him I try to get a little more information about when he used to run calls. He said that he never lost a patient, but he did alot of fast driving! When Homer would talk about the Pontiac, I just had my imagination to go off of. Now I have a picture to look at! Thank you again, this made my month!"
Kurt

Here's another one for you, Kurt. Your message took me back to the summer of 1989 when I met Homer Dobson and photographed this 1977 Miller-Meteor Cadillac ambulance that was still in service with Tracy (MN) Ambulance Service. This car replaced in the 1963 Superior Pontiac.

I had just graduated from high school and was working for my dad, who owned a funeral home in Detroit Lakes, MN. We had a funeral in Rochester, MN so we took a side-trip on the way home to visit some friends in southern Minnesota and check out the Cadillac ambulance, which I knew Tracy still had. If I remember correctly, Homer Dobson was the administrator of the local nursing home at that time, and was more than happy to show us the ambulance. It was their third rig out and transfer vehicle. (I remember that the second rig out was a 1975'ish Wayne Dodge Care-O-Van!) You can see Homer in the background of one photo and our 1985 Eureka Cadillac hearse in the background of another.

Three years later, I traveled to Tracy again, to take delivery of the Cadillac on behalf of a friend of mine who bought it from Tracy Ambulance. By then, the ambulance service had moved into a new facility and was being managed by a fellow named Charlie DeShepper.

A color photo of this Lifeliner and my (former) 1976 S&S Cadillac Professional ambulance appeared on the cover of TPC #67, First Quarter 1993. To this day, I have the "Tracy Ambulance" aluminum signs from the rear windows of the Cadillac.

I've also included a photo of the Lifeliner just prior to delivery to Tracy Ambualnce, ca. 1983. This car originally belonged to a funeral home in Illinois and was purchased by John Ringdahl in Fergus Falls, MN. He spiffed it up and sold it to Tracy.

(Karsnia Collection photos)

Attachments

• zzz_tracy 002.jpg
    zzz_tracy 002.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 976
  • zzz_tracy 001.jpg
    zzz_tracy 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 987
  • zzz_tracy 003.jpg
    zzz_tracy 003.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 964
Tony,
That is just so awsome, that makes my year! What a great looking rig! I am sure you enjoyed talking to Homer, is a car buff as well as a super nice guy! Any idea on the current whereabouts of this ambulance?
Thank you again!
Kurt
From the Pontiac thread:

"Thank you so much for posting the picture of that Tracy, MN ambulance! My mom grew up in Tracy, and my grandparents still live there. The pastor of their church, Homer Dobson, used to drive this ambulance. Growing up, I never knew this until I got my EMT certification 6 years ago. Homer has long since retired from the church and the ambulance service. But, every time I see him I try to get a little more information about when he used to run calls. He said that he never lost a patient, but he did alot of fast driving! When Homer would talk about the Pontiac, I just had my imagination to go off of. Now I have a picture to look at! Thank you again, this made my month!"
Kurt

Here's another one for you, Kurt. Your message took me back to the summer of 1989 when I met Homer Dobson and photographed this 1977 Miller-Meteor Cadillac ambulance that was still in service with Tracy (MN) Ambulance Service. This car replaced in the 1963 Superior Pontiac.

I had just graduated from high school and was working for my dad, who owned a funeral home in Detroit Lakes, MN. We had a funeral in Rochester, MN so we took a side-trip on the way home to visit some friends in southern Minnesota and check out the Cadillac ambulance, which I knew Tracy still had. If I remember correctly, Homer Dobson was the administrator of the local nursing home at that time, and was more than happy to show us the ambulance. It was their third rig out and transfer vehicle. (I remember that the second rig out was a 1975'ish Wayne Dodge Care-O-Van!) You can see Homer in the background of one photo and our 1985 Eureka Cadillac hearse in the background of another.

Three years later, I traveled to Tracy again, to take delivery of the Cadillac on behalf of a friend of mine who bought it from Tracy Ambulance. By then, the ambulance service had moved into a new facility and was being managed by a fellow named Charlie DeShepper.

A color photo of this Lifeliner and my (former) 1976 S&S Cadillac Professional ambulance appeared on the cover of TPC #67, First Quarter 1993. To this day, I have the "Tracy Ambulance" aluminum signs from the rear windows of the Cadillac.

I've also included a photo of the Lifeliner just prior to delivery to Tracy Ambualnce, ca. 1983. This car originally belonged to a funeral home in Illinois and was purchased by John Ringdahl in Fergus Falls, MN. He spiffed it up and sold it to Tracy.

(Karsnia Collection photos)

Here are 1960 Landau Traditional 3-ways from:

Bragg & Sons Mortuary (Coalinga, CA)

Brentwood F.H. (Brentwood, CA)

(TP photos)

Attachments

• Bragg 001.jpg
    Bragg 001.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 933
  • Brentwood 001.jpg
    Brentwood 001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 940
Wow...no backboard box!

Tony I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a '77 Lifeliner in service that didn't have the backboard box bolted to the roof. Thanks for posting those.

1977 Lifeliner

"Tony I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a '77 Lifeliner in service that didn't have the backboard box bolted to the roof. Thanks for posting those."

The unfortunate part of most 1977 Miller-Meteors is that they all look very similar; twin beacons and siren speakers, identical pattern of tunnel and flood lights...making it difficult to identify individual cars, especially after they've changed hands, been repainted, etc.

This car is one of the few exceptions I've seen, as it was special-ordered for a funeral home-based ambulance service in Illinois. In addition to the absence of a backboard box and presence of a lower-mounted beacon, this car featured a white interior that was unique from the orange or brown interiors more commonly found in these.

I'm pretty certain that this car remains in storage in the Milwaukee / Chicago area someplace.

Reeb Funeral Home (Toledo, OH)

1968 Rescuer

(SL collection)

1973 Superior/Cadillac 54" (now collector owned; seen here at the 1988 PCS meet in Decatur, IL)

(Terry Lange photo)

I'd love to see every rig that Reeb ever ran! I'll bet they were ALL beauties.

Tony I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a '77 Lifeliner in service that didn't have the backboard box bolted to the roof. Thanks for posting those.

Here's a '78 Lifeliner that I shot in Omaha that is also minus the box. The '77 sitting up on jacks with the hood open is also "box-free."

Attachments

• Omaha 001.jpg
    Omaha 001.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 809
  • Omaha 002.jpg
    Omaha 002.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 901
Back