Bought a 1973 Lifeliner!

Interesting points raised.

Mike...you obviously have some knowledge of the area. Mountain Home does have a small hospital but you're right that the trips were either local or into Boise over Interstate 84. The seller is getting me some contact names of the EMTs/Paramedics who worked on the rig in it's era so hopefully I'll be able to get a full history.

Richard...I noticed no loading lights as well. When I get the car I'll check to see if it did have them at one time. They're a fairly common Unity light so easily replaced. I have already acquired a set of Unity M1000? red/spot lights to replace the missing ones. As well, the 184's are not a matched pair, so possible the car had a single center mounted light and was "upgraded" by adding a second and mounting both at the front?

Paul...I'll get some better pictures of the interior posted when I get it. Yes...Formica floor instead of lino...not sure how common that was. At least I don't have to join the hunt for the elusive Colonial Red Brick.

As for siren, again I'll have to look at the roof when I get the car to see what may have been there. There's only a single dimmer switch so no mechanical siren probably. No indication of mounting between the tunnel lights so that only leaves the roof for the speakers. Again, I hope to get some pictures from when the car was in service...that'll answer many of the questions.

If all goes well I'll have the car home on Jan. 28th. And if you think Richard had lots of questions...just wait:D

Thank you all for you kind comments.

The rear loading light on the Miller Meteor wasn't made by Unity, and I have not been able to find the original source. It looks more like it came from the boating industry. I will get a picture of it for you in a couple of days.

The rear loading light on the Miller Meteor wasn't made by Unity, and I have not been able to find the original source. It looks more like it came from the boating industry. I will get a picture of it for you in a couple of days.

Outstanding Paul. Sure would be easier to buy new ones than to rechrome the old ones. :thankyou2:

Hope I don't get swine flu from you by responding to your threads. :hide:

Outstanding Paul. Sure would be easier to buy new ones than to rechrome the old ones. :thankyou2:

Hope I don't get swine flu from you by responding to your threads. :hide:

That is a rather piggish comment to make. Have you no :respect: for our friends that bring home the bacon... :bonk:

"boat" lights

Paul: Your mention of lights from the boating industry reminded me that a lot of trim pieces and fasteners for fire apparatus and some ambulances are also available from boating supply shops. MM

From my discussions with Tom McPherson and Jack Pinner, a lot of the parts were sourced from the boating industry, especially the chrome parts. I remember one discussion with Tom where he said that he was constantly looking at cars while driving to see what parts that he could incorporate into the building of the Eureka hearses that he was building in Canada at the time. The tunnel light lenses on my car are from a 1950's Oldsmobile, and the side lights are truck marker lights turned to point upward.

Here is a shot of our former 1972 M-M Lifeliner with the rear Unity loading light set up. This car was ordered new with these lights on it. Paul's 69 M-M has a different style loading light believed to be a boat or marine light of some sort. But here is what the standard Unity set up would look like on a Lifeliner.

Attachments

• 1972 Nave Ambulance 020.jpg
    1972 Nave Ambulance 020.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 147
That's what I have on my cars.

Criterion2.jpg

Jan18004.jpg

Any Lifeliner parts cars out there?

I'm sure Richard has already scoured around, but are there any Lifeliner parts cars out there? I'd be looking for ditch lights and a few other trim pieces perhaps.

The loading lights on my 1970 M&M are factory installed Unity lights. The loading light in my 71 superior 54 is some other brand loading light (cheaply made) The other superiors I have had in the past used the same cheap light.

I already found and own four and now I am searching for a Lifeliner to install them on...

Talk to me man.....Don't let your opportunity slip away to possibly purchase the most famous Lifeliner in the PCS. No other ambulance has been smeared across, excuse me, talked about more than the one in my garage. :blahblah:

If you are looking for loading lights similar to the ones on the 1972 M-M Lifeliner pictured above, I'd suggest that you look at old fire engines. I remember that the loading lights on our older trucks were very similar to these.

Back