Beautiful old Buicks

Port Washington FD '38 Buick.

fmco_vehicles10_web.jpg

Early '50s Flxible Sterling had already been retired from service when captured here in '63 at Mo-Kan Dragway. By then it was used as a tow vehicle for X/F dragster in foreground of first pic. Second shot shows dragster trailer it pulled. Builder/driver is in t-shirt.

1185719_10151841201023221_1952861007_n.jpg

1044380_10151841239793221_402123332_n.jpg

'51 or '52 Flxible Buick shot at the Pomona, CA swap meet many years ago.

Attachments

• Pomona Buick001.jpg
    Pomona Buick001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 547
I was thinking '52 as well, my understanding is that '52 Buicks had the chrome piece on top of the rear fender, housing a rear indicator light, that the '51s did not. ( I don't see one in the drag-way photo above, making me lean towards '51 on the Sterling.)

You're correct. The Pomona car is/was a 1952 Flxible-Buick Premier combiation car. Four VentiPorts = Roadmaster/Premier. Three VentiPorts = Super/Sterling.

Here's one I have identified as a '51 (from Richboro, PA, don't know where I got the photo from). It does not have the chrome piece over the rear fender.

Attachments

• 51FlxibleBuickTrevoseHeightsRichboroPA.jpg
    51FlxibleBuickTrevoseHeightsRichboroPA.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 451
Mr. Loftin...I stand corrected. That car is/was a 1952 Premier ambulance - B22-752 - not a combination car. Thanks.

Mr. Lichtman...great photo of a B22-751 Premier Ambulance. This particular car, Flxible body #17187, was delivered to the Trevose Heights Vol. Fire Company of Trevose Heights, Pennsylvania on March 3, 1952. Thanks for posting the photo.

The City of Pasadena, CA operated this 1937 Flxible Buick from its Emergency Hospital. Pasadena sent a doctor on all ambulance runs until its paramedic program was fully staffed. From City archives, photographer unknown.

Attachments

• Pasadena 37 Flxible Buick.jpg
    Pasadena 37 Flxible Buick.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,099
Looks like they broke rank, and purchased a 1958 Chevrolet Station Wagon. It is on the extreme left of this picture.

Attachments

• hugheyweb1_d74040440ef547678f9d7d437bd861e9.jpg
    hugheyweb1_d74040440ef547678f9d7d437bd861e9.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 806
My dad grew up in Port Neches and told this story many times; He was born and raised in a small house just a couple of blocks away from Sheffield's FH. One day when he was in his late teens he heard the Sheffield ambulance coming down the street and went out in the front yard. Mrs. Sheffield was driving and was alone in the rig. Upon seeing my dad by the street she slammed on the brakes, stopped and hollered for him to come over to the car. She told him to jump in because she was by herself and had a patient that she needed help unloading when they got to the hospital. When my dad got in he asked where Mr. Sheffield was. Just as he finished speaking Mr. Sheffield raised up off of the cot in the back and slurred out "here I am boy" and soon passed out again. Seems Mr. Sheffield had partaken of the spirits a little too much and bloodied his melon in a tumble.

That was the end of my dad's ambulance career. My dad passed away last year and I miss him greatly but that story always brings around a smile. :eek:

Only in Texas! In the small town of Seagraves, TX, the former Webb F.H. operated an ambulance service for many years. In the early '50s two guys were installing a neon sign on top of the local hotel when one of the guys got into the electricity. The other man tried to get the other loose but was knocked down by the jolt and rendered unconscious. The local doctor arrived after the electricity was shut off. He tried a direct-heart injection of epinephrine, which didn't work. He declared the guy dead and had Joe load the live, injured patient. He made the quick 20-mile or so run to Brownfield and then returned for what he thought was a dead body. The doc told Joe to take the guy on into Lubbock to the then-Methodist Hospital, and that he would come in later to sign the death certificate. So it was off to Lubbock quietly. The old 2-lane highway to Lubbock was quite bumpy back then, and just as Joe reached the eastside of Wolfforth, a small town about 10 mi. out of Lubbock, the deceased suddenly sat up and said, "Where the hell are we? I want a cigarette!". Joe said he jumped and then told the guy to lie back down because he was seriously burned. From that point it was a full Code 3 run on into Lubbock....and the guy survived.

Back