A request at todays car show

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
Today, I took the 86 S&S Lincoln to a local non judged car show that has been held for the last 42 years at a college 2 miles from my home. Had the car all cleaned up and looking good.Shortly before i was leaving, an elderly gentleman stopped to look the car over. He told me that he was a tried & true Ford man, and when his day came, there was no way he was going on his final ride in a Cadillac. He then said, I should get your number and have my ride in this car!. He then called his son over to tell him that THIS was the car he wanted for his final ride. Turns out his son is in the local chapter of the Lincoln Club with me. We talked a bit and I told them that while I certainly hope it is quite some time before dads final ride, that I would be more than happy to fulfill his request.

That is very nice Rick, I bet you made his day and he made your day.
even if i didnt know his son through the Lincoln Club, I would have given him my number. I was just starting to tell him to make sure that he let his family know his wishes when he called his son over!

Ahh yes lets remember Henry Fords last ride was in a Packard because they could not find a Lincoln. Don't blame the gentleman for wanting to make a contact.

really this is not true but a rummer started by people at that time that will not die. Henry was carried to his grave in "Henny". the Henny company and the ford motor company had a long history togather

but back to the subject at hand way to go Rick.

Henry Ford grave site

Dearborn, Michigan, photo taken June 2013. Regarding Ed's comment about using a Henney for Ford's funeral, it seems that there must be photos of this funeral around somewhere. I'd sure like to see. I'd always heard it was Packard also.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 564
Dearborn, Michigan, photo taken June 2013. Regarding Ed's comment about using a Henney for Ford's funeral, it seems that there must be photos of this funeral around somewhere. I'd sure like to see. I'd always heard it was Packard also.
Took about a 30 second web search to turn this up:

FordFuneral-vi.jpg

Henry Ford Funeral

Yes, a 1941 Henney-Packard owned by the William R. Hamilton Co. Funeral Home in Detroit.

We'll have the full story -- with pics -- in The Professional Car #155, the July/August issue.

Thank you Walt. I have at present about 12 Henney Packards in the Yard and on the titles to each where make is listed it says PACKARD so I stand by Henrys last ride was in a Packard yes with a Henney Body. Yes I am aware that Henney was a make of vehicle prior to their deal with Packard.

yes but to me it the same thing as calling a S&S a Cadillac. no matter what the state has put on the tittle. Packard supply the special chassis to Henney
they only sold it to Henney. Henney then used it to build a car. when the car was delivered to the new owner the name Packard was not on the title.
it's always intresting to me if the car is built on a Oldsmobile chassis it a Henney but if it's built on a Packard chassis it's a Packard.. :confused:

I'll await Walt's artical

How did we go from discussing the elderly gentlemans request to use my Lincoln to a discussion of Henney Packards? Thread hijacking should be punishable by public flogging!

No intention to "hjack" the thread all I ment was it was great the gentleman was getting his choice for his last ride Henry Ford did not. Indeed I hope they can find a Packard when my time comes. If Ed wants to continue the Packard Henney discusson by Starting another thread I will be there

Rick,you should know us by now,we start talking apples and end up talking ruttabaggers,don't think anyone intentionally hijacked the post it just happens but back to the post,great that your going to do this for him,thats why this club is the best,people like you.:applause:

Perhaps it's just habit, but over the years I've (usually) identified a coach using coach builder's name first, then chassis name. Example: Eureka Cadillac. In the case of the Ford hearse, I would respectfully disagree with Ed and definitely "call" this a Henney Packard. Attached is a photo of a 1927 "Henney Henney". Of course in this case I would just say Henney. The car is owned by Bill Peoples.

Attachments

• DSC_0365.jpg
    DSC_0365.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 126
Perhaps it's just habit, but over the years I've (usually) identified a coach using coach builder's name first, then chassis name. Example: Eureka Cadillac. In the case of the Ford hearse, I would respectfully disagree with Ed and definitely "call" this a Henney Packard. Attached is a photo of a 1927 "Henney Henney". Of course in this case I would just say Henney. The car is owned by Bill Peoples.

Tom, you are correct. The coachbuilder always comes first, then chassis, then name the coachbuilder gave that model. It even appears in most if not all of the coachbuilders advertising.

I both agree and disagree with what has been said. First of all in the 20s and early 30s it was common for pro cars to be titled registered by the body builders name this seemed to change around 1937 when the chassis builders name became the title registration ID. Now as a collector/PCS member when asked "What is it?" my answer is a 1996 S&S Cadillac. But Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle and my insurance company insist and will only accept "1996 Cadillac Hearse". Plus I feel if I did succeed in titling a Coach as a 1996 S&S the first words out of cops mouth after seeing the registration would be "sir this is not for this vehicle this is a Cadillac". I doubt anyone reading this with a coach made after 1937 has a registration or insurance policy calling the vehicles make the body builder if so sing out. I hope this sets the matter to rest (pardon the pun).

Back