A remarkable pro-car resting place on PA's US 11

Gregg D. Merksamer

PCS Life Member / PCS Publicity Chairman / PCS Ele
As my wife Lisa & I drove across central Pennsylvania to mark my 50th birthday in the southwestern part of the state a month ago, our avowed preference for using the back roads was richly rewarded when we encountered a truly-remarkable hoard of derelict Cadillac pro-cars - accompanied by some 1960s vintage Thunderbirds - along old U.S. 11 between Bloomsberg and Danville. :4_11_9::stop:

In addition to the 1968 Superior Sovereign 3-way Landau and matching 1968 Series Seventy-Five Limousine that initially caught our eye, this tired, tattered assemblage included a 1977 S&S Victoria; a 1978 Armbruster/Stageway 6-door limousine; 1978 Miller-Meteor Cadillacs in both rarely-seen limousine-style combination (last registered 2000) and top-of-the-line Citation Landaulet variants; and the front half of a 1967 Miller-Meteor where the frame beneath the partition portion was simply sitting on the ground. Where the rest of the coachwork got to was certainly something interesting to ponder!

Though it's obvious from the attached photos that Tin Worm has thoroughly ruled out any prospect of restoring these rarities, the wealth of potentially salvageable glass and trim immediately compelled me to seek further intel on the owner at Ann Fleming's adjacent antique emporium. She told me the cars belonged to a "strange" old man in his 70s named Hatzell who could sometimes be found at a trailer on the property, but Lisa & I could not pursue the matter further that day owing to the 150-plus miles of two-lane we still had to cover before sunset.

Can anybody reading this thread expand on this admittedly-scant info? Perhaps this Hatzell person was a PCS member at one time, or the time has come that we introduce the PCS to him. Perhaps he'll part with some parts if he knows they're going to a worthy restoration project.

Attachments

• Superior 68 Royale w. matching limo 2012 A.JPG
    Superior 68 Royale w. matching limo 2012 A.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 889
  • S&S 77 Victoria US-11 E.of Danville PA 04.JPG
    S&S 77 Victoria US-11 E.of Danville PA 04.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 981
  • Armbruster Stageway 78 6-dr. w.77 S&S Victoria C.JPG
    Armbruster Stageway 78 6-dr. w.77 S&S Victoria C.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 990
  • Superior 65 Royale Combin. US-11 PA 2012.JPG
    Superior 65 Royale Combin. US-11 PA 2012.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Miller-Meteor 67 front half w.78 M-M combo C.JPG
    Miller-Meteor 67 front half w.78 M-M combo C.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 986
  • Miller-Meteor 78 Citation  w.combin. behind 2012 A.JPG
    Miller-Meteor 78 Citation w.combin. behind 2012 A.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 977
Here are some additional perspectives of those old pro-cars Lisa & I spotted along old U.S. 11 between Bloomsburg and Danville, PA on July 13th, 2012. Such artful rust formations! Do you all think I should find a gallery to exhibit poster-sized prints of the full-res JPEG files? If they can't be restored, perhaps they can be admired over wine and cheese ...

Attachments

• Superior 68 Royale US-11 nr.Danville PA 07.JPG
    Superior 68 Royale US-11 nr.Danville PA 07.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 875
  • Superior 68 Royale US-11 nr.Danville PA 01.JPG
    Superior 68 Royale US-11 nr.Danville PA 01.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 962
  • Superior 68 Royale w. matching limo 2012 C.JPG
    Superior 68 Royale w. matching limo 2012 C.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 953
  • Miller-Meteor 78 combin limo-style US-11 PA 04.JPG
    Miller-Meteor 78 combin limo-style US-11 PA 04.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 946
  • Miller-Meteor 67 front half w.78 M-Ms 2012 D.JPG
    Miller-Meteor 67 front half w.78 M-Ms 2012 D.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 938
  • S&S 77 Victoria US-11 E.of Danville PA 05.JPG
    S&S 77 Victoria US-11 E.of Danville PA 05.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 937
The two Miller-Meteors (Classic Limousine and the Citation) as well as the S&S Victoria appear to be suffering from bad cases of surface rust. These may be salvagable.

you could write a book when good vinyl goes bad. some strange collections out there . this man is known as a rich man here. a real 1% er.

I believe it was last Spring, a neighbor informed about 2 hearses in Danville. It was this place, so I headed up there in the next week or so and a few wrong turns later, I got there. He only had the 78 M-M Limousine Combo and the blue Superior sitting off to the side, plus the T-birds and maybe a few other cars.
Within a few minutes he came out of the shop, at first he seemed like he didnt want me there, but then we started talking hearses for a while and he was a nice guy. He claims he is working on restoring the 78 and the other one had the top half of its engine stolen, and he told to not go near it because he had a dog tied near(I didnt see a dog, but respected his wishes).
He did take my number and said he would call me if he got some for sale, so these either arent for sale or he just didnt call me for whatever reason. Im not sure if he gave me his number or not, I will look around to see if I can find and let everyone know.

Just got back from seeing these cars. And all but the 65 and 78 M-M combo are for sale. He seemed like he would like sell the cars complete but may be willing to part them. He said hed like to them fixed up if possible. Didnt quote any prices, except the 68 Superior, he said he like $1500 for the whole car.

He said the cut in half one was too rotted and took the usable stuff and scrapped the rest(he said he does have some other parts floating around as well). He wants the engine from it but theres a few usable things on it(grill, bumper, dash).
My friend with a fancy camera took some pictures, and if has any that better than the ones posted here, I will see about posting them. He seems like he wants to be fair. I did get his contacts. Left them in the car, so message me if youre interested and I will send it to you. He would like to see everything go to a good home instead of rotting away, even if it means parting them out.

Gregg may be on to something there. Maybe we could add something to the Micro Meet or the International Meet for photo competitions. I know I enjoyed Tony's presentation at this years Micro Meet and I always look forward to seeing new photos posted here. I know Steve, Attilla, Walt, Tom, Tony, Gregg, and many others have some great photos of pro cars. Some photos show the cars when new, some in service or at scenes, some in accidents, some rusting away, being built, being rebuilt, etc. It would be nice to see a collection of images that could be shared and appreciated, not only with members but even with the general public. So many of the vehicles are gone that I agree it would be nice to at least have images to appreciate.:my2cents:

I agree with Jeremy...im dying for some correct black leather interior for my rear. Seeing that 78 MM has me wondering. Im sure somewhere in some backwoods yard is all the parts I want/need :cry:

In trouble

I was back up there Saturday the 12th, to show another hearse friend the cars. I noticed right away that both limousines were gone and shortly after the owner came outside and I found out why.The town or township or whatever it is wants him to clean up his "junk" that is on his properties. He moved to limos elsewhere, as well as a couple non procars he has, and says he is working on moving the others as well, and is still interested in selling them if someone wants to buy the cars complete. He doesnt want to part them since he will be still left with a car for who knows how long.

Also today, it made the local paper's front up that way about the lawsuit. I didnt get, I live over and hour and half away but was told by a friend who lives near there. Did see a little bit of it on the newspapers facebook though.

I cannot imagine anyone actually restoring any one of those coaches! They would offer many usable parts however. Unfortunately, this will probably end up being one of those scenarios where the city/county ends up just taking and crushing the vehicles. I have seen much nicer/more valuable vehicles lost in similar legal battles.

couldnt agree more, theyre parts cars. Maybe the limos and the 78 M-M Citation have potential if someone has a lot of money, and thats if underneath isnt rotted away(they are PA cars). But one would still need a lot of money to buy one of these and haul it out just for parts.

Back