A.J. Miller Building Coming Down

Jon Wurm

PCS Miller Meteor Chapter President
Just received word the old A.J. Miller building in Bellfountaine, Ohio is being demolished this week. The owners are planning a ground breaking ceremony for their new building next week. They plan to save alot of the bricks to be used for a sign base at the new building as well as some other items being "salvaged" from the old A.J. Miller Building. Some of you may remember the Mller-Meteor Chapter toured this building during our "homecoming" meets held in 2004, 2007 and again in 2009.

maybe someone can go down when it does come down and grab some bricks, so some M/M owners can have a brick or two for their collection ??

just a thought

Thankful

We are fortunate to have been in this old building twice during Miller-Meteor reunions, once with former employee Fred McPeck. These old buildings don't always stay around forever, so we need to preserve the history while we can.

AJ Miller building in Bellefontaine, Ohio

The old AJ Miller building is coming down. I just spent the last 2 plus hours in Bellfontaine. I started taking pictures. My phone is telling me it failed to downsize the pictures for sending to my computer. Will have to work on this one. Any ideas?
I stopped at the news paper office. They are doing a story on the ground breaking for the new building. After talking to a couple of the reporters they are now thinking they will do a sidebar article on the real history of the building. Like many people in Bellfontaine these reporters only remember there being a the Doral packaging plant in the old AJ Miller building. In fact they did not know it was the AJ Miller building. It was just an old building on the west side of town. They promised to stay in touch. I will do the same with them. Any articles written will be collected by me. With luck the newspaper will give me lots of copies for our members. I told them I belonged to the Professional Car Society. Yes, I had to explain what that is and who we are.
I will be going back on Thursday June 21. There will be a post here about what info I can get. One of my hopes is to talk the new owners of the property into letting me get some of the bricks for our members.
Bellefontaine is 45 minutes north of me but it is worth the drive if this all pans out.
Will keep you informed here.
Mike
61 M-M

Attachments

• AJ Miller building June 20 2012 01.jpg
    AJ Miller building June 20 2012 01.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,041
  • AJ Miller building June 20 2012 02.jpg
    AJ Miller building June 20 2012 02.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited:
AJ Miller building picstures

The first picture (01) shows the front 3 stories of the building with part of the single story attached building on the back. The second picture is more of the front from a more head on view. That was the part where we could still make out the sign stating this was the AJ Miller Co.
More as I get it.
Mike

AJ Miller building June 20 2012

More pictures from the AJ Miller building in Bellefontaine, Ohio. My computer guru (Shelley) figured out how to get the pictures from my phone and to my computer.
I will be trying to get in touch with the new property owners in the morning. With luck they will be understanding in our want for lots of pictures and some bricks. The question does have to be asked, How many bricks?
The light colored long low building is in back of the 3 story part of the complex. We parked across from this building when we visited on the reunions. These pictures are of the east side of the building.
Mike

Attachments

• AJ Miller building Bellefontaine Ohio 007.jpg
    AJ Miller building Bellefontaine Ohio 007.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • AJ Miller building Bellefontaine Ohio 003.jpg
    AJ Miller building Bellefontaine Ohio 003.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • AJ Miller building Bellefontaine Ohio 008.jpg
    AJ Miller building Bellefontaine Ohio 008.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,034
When the Cadillac building in Clarke Street came down a lot of the timber flooring was saved and used as trophy bases and plaques.

I don't remember Doris's last name, but she worked for A J Miller for many years, and still lives in Picqua. Later on, after the merger of Miller with Meteor she worked for M-M. Tom Caserta will know how to get in touch with her.. She is a treasure trove of old information...

ATTENTION: Miller building in Bellefontaine, Ohio

This is to inform you that we (PCS) have been invited to the site of the old
AJ Miller Co building in Bellefontaine, Ohio for the ground breaking ceremonies. Anyone with a Miller or Miller-Meteor is asked to come to the ground breaking. The new owners of the site would like to have some old coaches on display. The program will start at 10:00 A M June 28, 2012. The site is located at what is now known as the Doral Packaging plant. It is at the west end of Auburn Ave. Auburn Ave crosses Ohio Rt 68 on the south side of the downtown area of Bellefontaine. The Tri County Community Action group will have old pictures of the AJ Miller plant on hand. They are in the process of having brochures made up too. The local newspaper will also be doing an article. The newspaper folks have told me they may be interested in doing a sidebar article on the PCS. More info will be posted here as I get it. I will try to get as many bricks and brochures as I can for the members interested in these items. How many bricks do we need?
Now I have to go work on my 61 M-M.
Mike

bricks and brochures

I am making a list for the bricks and brochures. Still waiting (June 21 8:40pm)on the call from the site engineer about when I can get bricks. Will try to make sure everyone is taken care of here. Hope this all works out for us.
Again, we are invited to bring our Miller or Miller-Meteor coaches to the ground breaking on June 28 at 10:00 A M.
Mike

Thank you

Jon thank you for starting this thread and Mike thank you for sharing the photos and getting the bricks and brochures for members. I would like to be there on the 28th but have to work. Know that our '68 and '72 M-M's will be there in spirit though. Maybe I missed it but what is the new building going to be used for?

new building on Miller site

Rich,
Having just found the Tri County Community Action group I am not familiar with their mission. Will let you know more when I find out. So far I can tell you the people I have talked to there are friendly and seem to be interested in having us at their ground breaking. They seem to be excited about building on a site that has so much Bellefontaine history tied to it. They are going to save some of the old factory bricks to make up their new signage.
Mike

guess where I am going

I just got the calls from the site engineer and the project manager. I am on my way to get Miller bricks. I will be getting more pictures today too. The project manager told me they dropped the elevator today. Still lots to get down before the ground breaking next week. These guys are not wasting time. Will post more pictures tonight.
I am glad I could help here.
Mike

Mike
PLEASE count me in for a brick and a brochure.......
I will gladly pay for your trouble and of course postage to California !!
Thank you for the effort !!.....:thankyou2:
Jim

the AJ Miller building is gone

The AJ Miller building in Bellefontaine, Ohio is gone. The site project superintendent called today to tell me come and get our bricks. Concerns for safety issues kept me from entering the gates to get our bricks. Chad loaded them on his truck at the end of the work day today. Then he came through the front gate at the end of Auburn Ave. We then transferred the bricks to my truck. I will pick up the brochures the new site owners were telling me about at the ground breaking ceremonies on June 28 at 10:00 A M. I got more pictures today.
Our beacon in Bellefontaine is gone. The memory of the AJ Miller Co will live on in the Miller room of the local museum. The museum has collected more items and info to ad to the collection concerning the Miller Brothers. The Miller Co was in business for over 100 years in Bellefontaine, Ohio.
In the attached pictures you will see the bare spot where the 3 story building sat. One picture shows a truck driver wetting down his loaded truck. This is to keep the 'Miller' dust from spreading on route to the unload site. Then you will see Chad Troth putting our bricks on his truck. Then you will see us transferring our bricks to my truck.
Driving back and forth. Making and waiting on phone calls. Tracking down the people with the power to make this happen. Was it worth it? YES!
Many thanks to Jon Wurm and his contact for getting this post to us just in time.
Mike

Attachments

• PTDC0481.jpg
    PTDC0481.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 213
  • PTDC0486.jpg
    PTDC0486.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 216
  • PTDC0489.jpg
    PTDC0489.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 217
  • PTDC0505.jpg
    PTDC0505.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 216
Well, having toured the building twice, it's sad to see it gone - but realistically, what were they going to do with it? It was in pretty bad shape and not designed for anything that it would be useful for today.

But I'm very glad we got the chance to tour it when we did. Thanks to Tom Caserta and the others who made that happen. I already have a brick - we removed a couple from the crumbling wall last time. And I was able to get the glass sign for Sarah that said "SNOOK"......(actually, it said "KOONS" on glass, for a dealership they sold to, but turn it the other way and it's Sarah's last name).

Me too please.

I'd like a brick and a brochure as well if possible. Let me know the shipping to Victoria, BC, Canada please and I'll send you a money order.

Thanks

Back