A Great Loss

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
In the last 2 days I have lost two very good friends, whom I worked with early on in my EMS career. They were both my mentors,and we remained good friends to this day.
Lewis "Babe" Rotella 73, Tuesday November 3rd. Robert "Bobby" Gravanti 70, Wednesday November 4th. Babe went on to own Niagara Ambulance, as well as several other businesses.
Bob and I delivered our 1st baby together on the ambulance in the 1960's. Bob went on to own and manage several collision shops, and was a master of his craft. over the years bob painted and or repaired many of our rigs. I am devastated beyond words.
He was our "Ed Renstrom". for full obituaries go to mjcoluccifuneralchapel.com Please remember my friends and their families in your prayers.

Last edited:
R.I.P.

Denny my thoughts and prayers go out to their families and to you also a part of their family,we think back to the people we worked with and it was more than co-workers they were part of us,we have seen the best and worst that can happen,we could criticize one another and carry on as though nothing happened,we could find the stupidest thing and split a gut laughing about it,what we thought was funny people would call us sick,yeah, maybe, but we were a family...

Sorry to hear about your loss. True friends are hard to find and mentors are even harder to find. We feel your pain Denny.

Sorry to hear about that. He sounds like quite the fellow. There are some experiences you share in ems that bring people together more than anything else. Best wishes to the family.

I am humbled and honored

Yesterday I received a call from my friend Babes family. They have asked for my 70 Superior rescuer to be used as the hearse for my friends funeral.
I can think of no finer tribute to Babe than to take his final ride in "his rig".
I was worried that his casket would not fit, so we did a dry run to make sure, as my car has a squad bench. With the cot lock bar and squad bench railing removed we have 34" width. Casket fits nicely with 2" on either side. I installed A 34" royal blue carpet runner, and fit a nicely painted and padded bier block in the front of the patient compartment. Also, Joe Torregrossa"s 75 Miller Meteor will be in the procession. I'm sure there will be lots of smiles and yes some tears at the funeral tomorrow.

Back