75 Lifeliner restoration began 8/22

Kevin, It is great to see you back in action again. I am going to get a lot of joy watching this one, you and Dave always do it right! I am going to be watching to see what I can learn.

Best lesson is to get rid of that orange bio-phone Ron, makes the Ford ambulance look trashy. :D

That is one of them. Kane was located at the intersection of Park Avenue and Pleasant Street in a back lot garage. Himmer was located in Holden, and there is still one other, and this evening, I can't even remember the name.

The question we have

What color flames should we paint on the hood and how do we get the blower to fit under the hood? Maybe one of those cool hood scooped would do the trick.

What color flames should we paint on the hood and how do we get the blower to fit under the hood? Maybe one of those cool hood scooped would do the trick.

put some orange ghost flames on the red. no scoop just the hole with the blower sticking out. line the hole with that stick on door edge guard in a gold.
but what ever you do don't forget the reverse shackles, need to get that rear end up in the air some. some of those 22 inch wheels and skinny rubber band tires on it. toss the skirts away and round the wheel openings out. put some tubes in the back too, you got all that room. the don't forget the lakes pipes man they could go a long way back. big radical cam in there and that blower man o man I can hear those pipes cackle. see the flames shoot out. now were cooking with skill gas;)

Hood? what hood?. Leave it off and chrome everything in the engine compartment. Go retro and do the entire interior in diamond tucked red velour.

Just for fun put a couple of proto packs in the back and a "no ghosts" stickers on the doors.

Now you guys are talkin'

Thats the sort of info we are lookin for. But my very liberal neighbor wants green vines in stead of flames and with all that room in the back for batteries and all that roof up there for solar panels he thinks I should go green and make it full electric.

I guess we will just have to go back to a bone stock restoration and make it look like it came off the showroom floor.

The colonial yellow that was original on this car has no redeeming values at all, it is the worst color yellow I have ever seen, it is just an ugly color. No offense to any other colonial yellow cars, this one was just not for us. White over red is the way to go here.

The colonial yellow that was original on this car has no redeeming values at all, it is the worst color yellow I have ever seen, it is just an ugly color. No offense to any other colonial yellow cars, this one was just not for us. White over red is the way to go here.

Did someone put a gun to your head to say that????????? ;)

We are seeing RED

When I worked for Cessna in Orlando we once painted an airplane Omaha Orange with Purple flames. I am searching for the picture. Now that was a good look. I am thinking purple flames would look good on Richards car. I will be pulling the engine and transmission on this car this weekend to make room for the firewall repaint and the potential engine overhaul and main seal leak. The tranny will be gone through as well just to be sure it is flawless. Once this car is done it will be able to go anywhere at any time without fear of a breakdown. Cant wait to get it done but I think we are a long way out at this point....:) My airplane project is needing attention as well....

When I worked for Cessna in Orlando we once painted an airplane Omaha Orange with Purple flames. I am searching for the picture. Now that was a good look. I am thinking purple flames would look good on Richards car. I will be pulling the engine and transmission on this car this weekend to make room for the firewall repaint and the potential engine overhaul and main seal leak. The tranny will be gone through as well just to be sure it is flawless. Once this car is done it will be able to go anywhere at any time without fear of a breakdown. Cant wait to get it done but I think we are a long way out at this point....:) My airplane project is needing attention as well....

Kevin is a lucky man to have you working on his ambulance. Wish I had a son-in-law to work on my ambulance. Sorry, I have no daughters but if you get bored I know where a orange Lifeliner is you can paint. :p
Keep us up to date with pictures liked Ed does in South Dakota.

boy I'm glad we got that out of our system:thumbsup: orange and purple flames, different. orange and gold, now I like that color combination. we will wait to see how you divide the colors, lots of different ways to do it.

Pictures

You will all be able to follow this on the website www.thelynches.org it will be updated as the work on the car continues through the winter. This will be as close to a frame off restoration as you can do without actually lifting the main body. All lines will be replaced as needed, all components will be re worked and cleaned and painted. I see this being a long process but at the end it will be a real head turner for sure...

Things and Stuff

So when you have a two car attached garage in a deed retricted neighborhood you have to be creative when dismantling an ambulance. Now when you couple the limited space with an un assembled Cessna airplane it gets double tricky. I have spent the entire weekend re arranging the garage and to do this I had to pull the plane out into the drive way where it sat for 2 days, I finally figured out how to slow the traffic down in front of my house...

So to maximise space I hung the wings of the airplane from the ceiling of the garage and now have the room I needed to pull the motor and tranny next weekend. I cannot wait.;)

"The colonial yellow that was original on this car has no redeeming values at all, it is the worst color yellow I have ever seen, it is just an ugly color. No offense to any other colonial yellow cars, this one was just not for us. White over red is the way to go here.

Mental note: "Do not bring collection (2 Lifeliners and 2 Criterions) of 1975 Colonial Yellow M-M ambulances to PCS events!" :D:rolleyes:

no bring them just to show what a car done right can look like. color is so much subjective to personal tastes. service color schemes that look good on one year look off on another. then there are subject to what is the interior color and does it go with the exterior. few of the manufactures did any more then the standard gm colors inside. S&S's silver gray and black was one exception. they could use it with any exterior color. in the long run it most likely saved them money by keeping the interiors the same in all the Hearses. but today it is expensive stuff the get. so if you like the yellow bring the fleet how often do you get to see a set of matched cars now days. but for those of us that don't live near by drop a picture of them i would love to see them together.

Actually Ed, I don't REALLY have a fleet of 4 matching yellow M-M hightops! I came up with that to see if certain M-M enthusiasts (perhaps w/ initials R.V. ;) ) would "take the bait" as well as give Kevin and Dave a little ribbing about their apparent "yellow phobia!" hah hah. This stems from an idea I had about having a "fantasy pro car garage" after hearing about all the "fantasy football" leagues that people get involved in now!

Last edited:
Proud PCS vendor!

Wow, what a ultra professional restoration on the coach. I am so proud that you chose to buy the redesigned M-M style weather stripping from me and being a contributor. Mike M.

Back