63 Flxible on BOT

A fancy name for Salvage Title after the vehicle is repaired and inspected by the state/jurisdiction that branded the title as salvage.

Very sharp!! Where did all the straight ambulances go? I fear we know.

Does a salvage title limit the ability to register it in some states?

Very sharp!! Where did all the straight ambulances go? I fear we know.

Does a salvage title limit the ability to register it in some states

There are different rules in the various states, however, I know that most states require an inspection of the vehicle if it has a salvage title. Once it has been inspected, it will have a title that is branded "Salvage Vehicle, Reconstructed", which means that whatever happened to the vehicle it has been repaired. Most insurance companies will insure a "reconstructed" vehicle for both liability and collision/comprehensive. They might ask for pictures or documentation prior to insuring it. I have seen cars that have a "salvage title" just because the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle. An example of this was a 1959 Cadillac Commercial Chassis car with a damaged windshield. Another example is a car that suffered scratches and dents as a result of a garage collapse. The cost of painting the car exceeded the value of the car, so they "totaled" the car and it was sold as a "salvage" vehicle.

Here is what I found.

In Kentucky, salvage titles are issued when a vehicle has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged and the cost of repairs exceeds 75 percent of the vehicle's fair market value. Once a vehicle is repaired to roadworthy condition it is issued a rebuilt title.

Same in Texas. But a car with a rebuilt title will sell for about 50% less than the same car with a good title. Many insurance companies here will not write comp. and collision on a car with a rebuilt title.

Just a thought, could that Flxette been originally titled from new as a "rebuilt vehicle" due to the conversion of whatever it started out as? It wouldn't be the first time a clerk at the DMV picked the closest description out of a choice of 10 options. I also have that issue of the Buick Bugle that features this car, and I don't recall any mention of repaired damage, although I would have to find the book to verify that.

And in some states it's nothing. The insurance Company is to have run the title threw after they total it before they resell it to you. I have had two of them totaled with hail. Both were sold back to me for scrap value. The titles never left the folder.

Here is what I found.

In Kentucky, salvage titles are issued when a vehicle has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged and the cost of repairs exceeds 75 percent of the vehicle's fair market value. Once a vehicle is repaired to roadworthy condition it is issued a rebuilt title.
Just a thought, could that Flxette been originally titled from new as a "rebuilt vehicle" due to the conversion of whatever it started out as? It wouldn't be the first time a clerk at the DMV picked the closest description out of a choice of 10 options. I also have that issue of the Buick Bugle that features this car, and I don't recall any mention of repaired damage, although I would have to find the book to verify that.
My 64 has the original pink slip. It was first registered as a Flxible as the make and not a Buick. they also used the 4 digits on the serial plate. instead of the factory vin. So, I guess anything is possible.

20220326_123645_resized_1.jpg

I found the issue of the Nov., 1988 "Buick Bugle." If anyone is interested, this '63 Flxible Flxette was sold new by Fred McPeck to Roberts Funeral Home in Delta, CO. for $7470. It was in service for 20 years until being traded back in to McPeck's dealership for a new Cadillac. The next owner was Tim Gibson, a BCA member. He kept it until 1987, but then advertised it in the club's magazine in order to make room for another Buick that he was restoring. That's when Glen Novak acquired it. The rest of the history after that is on the Bring-A-Trailer website.

No power steering or brakes, which I see as the only downside to this nice car.

Attachments

• Buick Bugle.JPG
    Buick Bugle.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 11
Not that difficult to add both power steering and power brakes to the car if you can find a donor car for the steering. I don't see power brakes as much of a problem, since Buick offered the power brakes as a dealer-installed option when the car was new. With a little bit of research, it should be easy to cross-reference the brake booster with another vehicle, and Hollander's cross-reference would probably come up with the steering gear box. Finding the correct power steering pump brackets could present a challenge, however, there are lots of these old cars in salvage yards still to this day.

I all ready have one of them i going to have that mich in labor on. It has ps but only standard brakes, But there new.

Back