1977 S & S Victoria... starting the process

Kent Dorsey

PCS Member / Funeral Director
I have acquired a 1977 S & S Victoria, that needs a bit of work. It has returned from the mechanic with all of it's shots and boosters. I hope to be able to post photos as some progress gets going...
Peebles Fayette County FH, Somerville, TN 1977-1997
N.H. Owens FH, Memphis, TN 1997-2013
Stay tuned...

Attachments

• 77 S & S vic 3.jpg
    77 S & S vic 3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 910
  • 77 vic 7.jpg
    77 vic 7.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 899
  • 77 victoria 2.jpg
    77 victoria 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 914
The tires have been changed to wide white wall Broadway Classics that came off the '81, and the wheel covers are now the center disc/painted Cadillac wheel covers left over from the traded 78 M-M... they are in charcoal and don't look too bad at all...
Doubt the car is staying white and the top is beyond repair...
(tosses wire wheel covers toward Jackson County, NC...)

I know what the long term plans are for this car and I look forward to Kent showings its progress. I also look forward to seeing it in person when it is done (after I recover from flung wires). :yum:

Thanks everyone...

The car was garaged at Peebles, and under a carport at N.H. Owens... the S & S datemarks, the grille, the cornering lights, and the front bumper are in immaculate shape...

Attachments

• 77 victoria 4.jpg
    77 victoria 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 827
Bought directly from Owens. The rear springs need replacing. I actually received the new rear springs Wednesday, but they were insufficient and have to go back, and the coil spring company will have to try again.

I have always liked the '77-'79 body style, and I have grown attached to S & S Victoria's of this age now.

When I was in mortuary school, at Jernigan-Warren we had a '67 S & S Victoria (black over dark green), a '77 S & S Victoria (black over dark green), and an '81 S & S Victoria (black, this would signal J-W's color switch to black...)... So I have an '81 black Victoria in the garage, and it wasn't intentional trying to recreate my mortuary school days to have a '77 and '81 here today, but kinda interesting.

The '92 Victoria is black over 1977 Edinburgh Green Metallic... hhhmmm...

a little update on 77...

has been on a night call already...

Attachments

• 77 17.jpg
    77 17.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 77 16.jpg
    77 16.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 472
You aren't only a collector, you regularly use your cars for the purpose they were intended. Quick turnaround too since you just got it. Kudos to you Sir. :applause:

Josh: those are Broadway Classics that have been traded around more than a cheerleader at a rave, I am pretty sure the company is out of business.

and a few more...

the photos dress the paint appearance up a bit... is fairly scratched, dinged and needs paint...

Attachments

• 77 15.jpg
    77 15.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 77 18.jpg
    77 18.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 77 19.jpg
    77 19.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 459
Beautiful addition to your collection, Kent! The unusual feature I see on this car is the RH hinged rear door. The vast majority of these S&S Victorias had LH hinged rear doors.

When I began working for my dad at age 14, he had a 1979 S&S Victoria that had been custom-ordered new by a funeral home in Ladysmith, WI. It was pewter firemist with black S&S cobra top, light gray velour interior, extend table with white phenolic, and no partition. To this day, my dad says that's the best hearse we ever had and I agree.

Update...

Cary found me some white frosted S & S coach lamps that look great, the previous ones, some clear looking ones, always looked dirty and you could see the bulbs.
New rear coil springs have lifted the rear a bit.
Vinyl top and drapes just waiting on the go order at the trim shop, thought we better get into the body process before we order those things.
The extend table will not secure, rolls back and forth. I have got up under it and the mechanism moves when you pull to the right, but apparently it does not lock. Right now a wheel chock does pretty good, but if any of you engineers have ever dealt with that issue - let me know.
Goes to the body shop Monday, October 7th. I am sending a set of the 1977-1978 Cadillac Fleetwood center disc painted (color of the car) wheel covers, and on standby I have a set of the 1977 Cadillac commercial chassis wheel covers (has small center black disc). The seam in the S & S top split long ago, and with no repair water has seeped in and done it's work. I am extremely concerned about what we will find there.
Here's the offending seam...

Attachments

• 77 vic 12.jpg
    77 vic 12.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 347
this neat ad mentions the three types of S & S coach lamps available...

Attachments

• 77 SS Pamphlet.jpg
    77 SS Pamphlet.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 296
Back