1976 Upper Control Arm Bolt

My 76 upper control arm bolt broke, anyone have a replacement part number or replacement alternative? I can't find anything to match what was used.

That is a fairly standard part, however, if it broke off inside of the upper control arm shaft, then you will need to remove the upper control arm and send the complete unit to a machine shop to have them remove the broken bolt. This will also require that the upper control arm bushings will need to be replaced. This is assuming that I have identified the correct bolt. If it is one of the bolts that holds the upper control arm shaft to the frame, that is a different problem. It would be best if you could take some pictures of the assembly and show exactly what is broken, and what you plan on doing to repair this. You might also want to have a visual inspection of both side's upper and lower control arm bushings, and have them all replaced if they are showing signs of cracking or fatigue. Considering the age of the vehicle, it might require a lot more work to make it safe to drive than you might think. The good news is that any competent shop that does front end work will know how to work on the car.

That is a special bolt. There is a serrated section under the head that keeps the bolt from spinning when it is tightened. That is a grade 8 bolt, which is the strongest bolt that is generally used on autos. The only way that that bolt would break is if someone used a cheater bay on a ratchet to tighten it. In over 60 years of working on cars, I have never seen one broken. I would get a small steel drift pin and knock out the head of the bolt, so you will know exactly what you are looking for size-wise.

Might need to do some junk yard shopping. The nice thing is you can replace it with out a lot of trouble. The spring is in a pocket on the frame so as long as you keep weight on the lower control arm you can remove the upper and not have to mess with the spring.

Back