1964 Chevy - Pinner is saved!

IMG_0905.jpg

These last few weeks have dragged by, waiting for the trip to New York that finally happened. The Pinner is now safe & sound in Ohio.
What a trip it was. The borrowed trailer rolled about 10 feet Friday morning before it's brakes locked up. An hour later the brakes were disconnected, and headed towards Erie, PA... in a construction zone... no roadside berm & NO possible way to stop... I hear metal on metal... dragging.
The trailer is made really cool, the ramps slide into the back & lock with a spring loaded pin. The one that's left still works great! The ramp somehow came unlatched, slid out, and the rear latch must have held it until the next big bump... I lost it. So if anyone is on I-90 East before the PA border, wave at my trailer ramp as you pass by in the endless construction zones.
Other than that the trip out was great! The trees were beautiful through the mountains of upstste NY and got to the seller's house just before dark. Got the Pinner out of his garage & loaded up without much problem, other than he lived "way off the beaten path" on a hillside & you'd never know the place was there if you passed by.
Got back on the freeway & drove another 250 miles back before stopping for the night. Got up this morning & made it home just before 1pm. I thought today was uneventful... until I got under the front end to unstrap the crossmember. The transmission had fallen out & was laying on the floor of the trailer! No harm done, it pulled the screws out of the wood that was supporting it. But other than that...
It's good to be home, what a trip. The Pinner is staying outside tonight until I figure out how to get the mice out of it before rolling it into the shop! Dug through boxes for an hour before I found what you see in the top picture... yep both "PINNER" fender nameplates survived quite well, so did the side spears & wreaths.
More good news, the entire rear interior is in the back with it's material intact. I'll dig out everything in the morning & see what I have, but there's so much stuff that came with it I doubt there's much missing. The front clip is in better condition than the body because it was stored inside while the body was outside. All the original paperwork survived & is in amazing condition.
Here's an excerpt from an old PCS newsletter that was with the car written by Walt McCall:
PCS member Matt Siegel of Brooklyn is the proud owner of this unique 1964 Pinner Chevrolet service car. Matt purchased this vehicle from the Fred Herbst & Sons funeral home in Brooklyn

Theres some other info about the conversion along with 2 of the photos alot of us have. This article is actually 12 pages long & filled with info & photos including 2 from inside the factory. Looks like Matt sold my Pinner in 1994 to Paul (the guy I bought it from) and it was then stashed away until now. lots more info to share, but for now here's a few more shots of it in my parking lot looking all nasty & filthy. Enjoy!

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

I congratulate you for saving this car. It was for sale about fifteen years ago and I always wondered what became of it. Now I know. Good luck with it!

Jonathon: Yes it'll be a happy day when it hits the road again. I was searching through my engines & other parts looking to see what all I have in spare Chevy parts.

Bill: Congrats to you too... was just reading about your "new" limo. If you want a stablemate for it there's a FWD Caddy limo that's REAL nice right around the corner for sale.

I am generally a Cadillac guy, although I have owned many different cars over the years. I would have taken an FWD Series 75 if I had seen one. Is it a Series 75, or a six door? Is it cheap? If I buy any more cars my wife might make me sleep in one of them.

I took a trip like that on 1-90 over the same rout this summer. you would think they would have gotten it finished by now. what a mess. but it is home and that is what counts. a good save and loaded with info to double good save. I take it you lost the ramp on the way home. loading would have been fun with only one

Looks to be in better shape than I would have thought! What the heck is up with that big push-bar lookin' thing on the front? Looks like it would stick out beyond where the grill would be?

I'm pretty sure I see either Jesus or Mr. Pringle's face in the center of the wreath...

I did a little CSI-like enhancing of the image, and after tracing key components it is obvious the image is of a circa 1960 Paul Steinberg:

face.jpg

(nice Alfalfa-part, by the way...)

Honestly I lost the ramp on the way out to get it. We used a half-rotted board & firewood for a ramp! The push bar he built for moving the Pinner around. If you saw the grill, radiator support, & upper/lower hood trim you'd see why the push bar was built. Too bad his Suburban destroyed everything once before he took it all out. I found the original stuff in the back was all bent up but he'd bought several of the pieces to replace them with.
With having no engine & an odd trailer wheelbase I had to make it as tongue-heavy as I could so we loaded it backwards.
Wondered why everything was so wet on the property, his neighbor said it had snowed 2" thursday night & melted. It was 31 degrees when we were loading & starting to freeze. He literally pushed it onto the trailer with his Suburban.
As for what that is under the black paint in the center of the wreaths... looking from angles it appears to be a calligraphy "H" that's assumed to be for Herbst funeral home, although Todd's CSI skills reveal much more!
Yes it is surprisingly solid, much more solid than expected. The coachwork needs alot of attention, the seams all need dug out, sandblasted, & filled back in. The worst part rust wise is in front of the rear wheels. Both rear quarters are popped in a little... i'm assuming the victim of that damn Suburban pushing it from the back. The tailgate bears a crease in the middle as well, but I have a spare tailgate. corner trim around the rear tail lights is all messed up/flattened out.
The doors close nice & line up decent, windows roll up & down like new, no cracked glass, tailgate works well. Frame looks great & the front end was rebuilt totally. It came with boxes of all new brake parts, U-joints, shocks, & other goodies. When I spotted the tranny laying on the trailer floor it set off a panic mode because there was NO driveshaft! Luckily i've found most all the components while digging around. Wait 'till you see the x-frame on this thing... what a brute... so thank a lucky star the driveshaft survived.
Ed, yes the roads were horrible still. There was construction every few miles almost the entire 519 mile trip each way. It's nearly winter & they're still working everywhere.
Bill: I'll get details/pix on that limo for you. It's in really nice shape, all black, but doubt it's cheap. It's been for sale all summer.

On a side note... anyone have any suggestions for driving the mice out of this thing before I pull it in the building? There was 3 - 4 of them scattering out of it when I opened the doors in his garage & I don't want them in my shop... lots of procars to munch on!

All the mice abandoned ship on the way home.. The way that trailer bounced, they felt that they would be better off taking their chances dodging cars on the roadway...

All the mice abandoned ship on the way home.. The way that trailer bounced, they felt that they would be better off taking their chances dodging cars on the roadway...

Oh Paul that was a GOOD one! Actually not far from the truth i'm sure! Haven't seen any mice all day today but wow they were everywhere in his garage. As soon as I walked to the back of the Pinner one popped it's head out from between the bumper & tailgate... then ran like crazy. Rolled the window down & let down the tailgate, 2 more jumped out.
The stuffing out of the seat is mostly behind the seat, nasty things!
From what I can see the rear side panels are the same gold-ish color & hopefully they are decent enough to re-use after a good scrubbing. Will get it all yanked out & cleaned up ASAP. Found old casket rollers & bier pin tracks in a box, would have never guessed it had a casket floor in it but that remains to be seen...

best get a few of the one way traps and set them in the car. peanut butter works best for bate. if you lay the poison around you got dead mouse bodies everywhere. it will take a few days but you can get them all trapped. remember is you see one you got 10. plus all those babies in the headliner. Richard knows all about mice. his lifeliner was full of them to.

Thanks Ed! Will get rid of their hiding places today. Headed out to the parking lot now to clean it out. Got the boxes of parts out last night, today is unloading the big parts. The shop vac gets a workout today as well, I want to see what I have here! Will post more photos tonight...

Dwayne,

Great save. I really look forward to seeing the progress on this Chevy. Incredible that he had so many spare parts and paperwork as well. What a treasure trove. Congrats!!!

Whew what a day! Got everything unloaded today & used the shop-vac inside top to bottom. Geez was this thing NASTY nasty! Dug out a set of 2 chrome steelies that were stashed away, put them on the front & moved the old bias-plys to the back. Looking better already i love it. Popped in 3 of the rear interior panels & put it away for the night after taking a few pictures...

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Back