1961 Eureka-Cadillac Hi-Boy comes home

Nicholas,

So the lead panned out?

Coincidentally this week I just got in touch with another person through FB that I was on the department with. We are supposed to talk this weekend. I'll see if he has any more information on it.

Hi Joe - yes, it panned out. Thanks again! Between the newspaper and what a gentleman there kindly sent. Still trying to get a real scan, but the iPhone photos I was sent turned out pretty well. I also was able to find 2 articles from a Taos County newspaper.

Surely would be happy to see anything more that might turn up.

Anyone know what a Sireno beacon should have for mounting? This is on top of the car currently - not sure if these bolts are original or not. Looks like someone cut the ends.

From what I gather, the Federal Signal Model 14 that Steve identified on it previously is too new a beacon for 1961.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 502
Just my .02 cents worth, not knowing what the base of a Sireno looks like inside, and/or how it mounts I can't give you a lot of help. I can tell you it was/is very common to cut the top end off mounting bolts on permanent mount lights. You had to trim them so the light could rotate properly.

And yes, Steve is correct, a Federal Model 14 would be waaayyyy too new for a '61. Probably the newest Beacon would have been a Federal 173 in that time frame.

Nick told me that his research indicated that the ambulance first served in Randolph New Jersey. Back then, it was known as Randolph Township, and consisted of a few differently named areas.
This morning I had breakfast with an old childhood friend, and I asked him where the ambulance was stationed, and to the best of his recollection, it was located at the fire house on the Dover Chester Road, in Mount Freedom. We both lived along the Black River, in Ironia, which was a small part of Randolph Township.

Close! As we discussed today, the car was donated in January 1970 from the Randolph Rescue Squad (Morris County, NJ) to Socorro Fire Department in NM. Joe Rackov's contact was so kind to send the newspaper clipping for me. This vehicle then made its way to the fire district of the unincorporated community of Tres Piedras in Taos County, NM sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s. It served there until at least the late 1980s as the primary ambulance. It was then turned over to the Taos County EMS agency, which did some form of "restoration" in 1991 and used it for parades until sometime in the mid to late 1990s. It then sat in the Taos County Public Works lot for quite some time before being sold in 2012 at the much-publicized auction.

The Randolph Rescue Squad was created by combining the Mount Freedom and Millbrook Rescue Squads, and didn't exist in 1961... As so often has been the case, serendipity provides the answer. During our conversation, I spotted a photo from a Randolph, NJ group had been shared on the "This Old Ambulance" group on Facebook. It showed the ambulance in a mid to late 1960s parade in nearby Dover. Thus, providing the answer of who purchased the car originally. I also found a photo of this ambulance's predecessor and/or stable-mate that was published in a town history book.

I've reached out to the Randolph Rescue Squad and have yet to hear much back. I'll also be reaching out to the Randolph Historical Society and Randolph Chemical Engine No 2 (Millbrook Fire) as well.

Any guidance or assistance folks may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 396
  • Millbrook Ambulance.jpg
    Millbrook Ambulance.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 394
  • RandolphRescue.jpg
    RandolphRescue.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 400
As I had said previously, I grew up in this area, and know it well. What was most exciting for both of us today, was that while conversing, you were able to find that picture of the Millbrook Squad ambulance. Once you sent me that picture, I immediately recognized where that parade had taken place. As I said, Randolph Township, consisted of a lot of smaller unincorporated "hamlets", that comprised the township. Today, there is not much left from what was a bustling area every summer, with over 10 large hotels, and over 75 bungalow colonies, and 1 naturist park.

Our ambulance was recently mentioned in the Taos News with discussion of the 50 years of service for the Tres Piedras Fire Chief this past December. I'm not sure why ambulance is in quotation marks...

The fire department in Tres Piedras evolved through the years to include rescue and medical services.

The department’s first “ambulance” was a 1961 Cadillac Eureka. Cozart says some local residents referred to it as “Ghostbusters.”

Volunteers began earning certifications as emergency medical technicians. Cozart and his mother were among the state’s first 100.

But Cozart says it was years before Taos County leaders paid much attention to the area’s needs.

http://www.taosnews.com/news/article_aeb3d5a8-a50b-11e5-8379-db67a243e963.html

Spent some time looking at details on the car, and cataloging the "missing" things. Very interesting construction and everything was a no-nonsense job. I guess that's why they had the reputation! :)

1. There were previously three D/E oxygen cylinder base holders in the attendant seat compartment. I am aware these are the "scalloped" top holders as shown in this contemporary Oxequip ad.
2. Same photo also shows a missing object in the wall. The hole traverses the partition and ends up on the other side with a smaller "ring" impression surrounding it on the upholestery. I suspect this to be for some kind of oxygen outlet, perhaps suction, but not sure. Whatever it is, it must have fit in between the tight space of the three portable cylinders also in that area.
3. Missing item with oblong outline and two screws alongside the resuscitator cabinet. Perhaps it goes along with the hole that went through the partition - oxygen possibly?
4. Three photos showing the other side of the resuscitator cabinet. Two rectangular outlines with oddly staggered screw holes as shown on left. Rectangular pattern of screws on the right. A Eureka factory photo taken from the rear door seems to show a cylinder (thermos?) or something similar there - but no idea what it really is.
5. Last few from the driver's side of the partition. It was very difficult to photograph due to lighting - but you can see different placed holes all along the partition. This would appear to me to be for tool mounts similar to what S&S put underneath their bench seat as shown at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9347 . As this car had bucket seats and a center console from the factory, that wouldn't be possible and would require mounting along the wall. I wonder if Mr. McDonald's 1964 Hi-Boy is similar?

I wish folks wouldn't strip parts out every time an old ambulance changes hands - after all - it's rarely put on the brand new ambulance. However, all part of the fun! :)

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm still digging myself.

Attachments

• 2015-12-30 13.37.13.jpg
    2015-12-30 13.37.13.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 237
  • CylinderBase.jpg
    CylinderBase.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 2015-12-31 17.32.53.jpg
    2015-12-31 17.32.53.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 2015-12-31 17.38.29.jpg
    2015-12-31 17.38.29.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 2015-12-31 17.38.34.jpg
    2015-12-31 17.38.34.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 2015-12-31 17.38.39.jpg
    2015-12-31 17.38.39.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 2015-12-30 13.51.49.jpg
    2015-12-30 13.51.49.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 2015-12-30 13.52.07.jpg
    2015-12-30 13.52.07.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 240
What! No ideas or hitherto unseen photos from the usually prodigious posting team of the PCS? I was fully expecting someone to whip out a photo of a behind-the-seat tool set like someone did for the S&S. :)

Here's a fun photo testing the placement of the "crown" emblems. Apologies for the poor lighting. It is indeed the proper configuration of holes. Many thanks to Martyn Donaldson for IDing and having some spares he was willing to part with! I also got 3 off of the eBay auction for reproductions - these will need posts attached.

The 4-litter configuration is quite odd. From reading the Eureka book - it appears this configuration was used back into the 1940s. How the hook would insert and yet remain secure in there I cannot decipher. There are two pairs of these mounts in the ceiling. The more forward pair has a set of "Plasma Hooks" in the middle.

Attachments

• 2015-12-30 14.14.01.jpg
    2015-12-30 14.14.01.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 2015-12-31 17.34.36.jpg
    2015-12-31 17.34.36.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 2015-12-31 17.35.21.jpg
    2015-12-31 17.35.21.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 300
head with a slot . slip it in and rotate 90. the hook on the gurney would keep it from twisting out. they would not be left in the roof but stored with the flats.

head with a slot . slip it in and rotate 90. the hook on the gurney would keep it from twisting out. they would not be left in the roof but stored with the flats.

Awesome. Don't know why I couldn't think of something like that. On a positive note, I spoke with one of the last departments to own the car - and they think they may still have the hanging hardware "somewhere." It'd be great if they do.

Just a hint when taking pictures of a general area wondering what went their zoom out a little . the position on the rig will sometimes tell more then how the fasteners were grouped.

Just a hint when taking pictures of a general area wondering what went their zoom out a little . the position on the rig will sometimes tell more then how the fasteners were grouped.

Difficult to do with poor lighting and cell phone camera. Was able to execute for the rear cabinetry OK with the multiple photos - but poor quality indeed up front. Maybe next time.

1. Here's a photo of the switch panel with good lighting and good camera. Siren toggle on the left from what I can tell of the remaining label (horn ring activates),next one over is the fresh air blower in the ceiling (still works, it's a pull-out three position switch), and then emergency lights front/rear on the third pull-out switch. No idea what the label says outside of the switch cover itself. No idea if missing a switch or just missing a cover on the other side of the gauge, and red light doesn't do anything from limited investigation. Labels are gone.

2. Fascinating curved curtain rod in the side windows. Snap button on the far right, then a hole in the top of the curve. The Mrs. says that something would connect in there somehow to prevent the curtain from falling down. Same design is visible in Mr. Donaldson's picture of the 1960 Eureka-Cadillac owned by Tom Hoczyk. Wonder what the attachment is? http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=841903531&postcount=16

3. Wonder what the outline on the right inner fender is from. A lot of messing around went on under the hood.

4. Weird cutout next to passenger-side battery tray. Maybe both of these enigma related to the "electric saw" hook-up described in the January 1970 news article.

5. Does anyone have a photo of the Q-siren mounted in the 1964 Hi-Boy? This car obviously had an underhood siren, but the 1990s restoration involved just drilling a Model 28 into the auxiliary battery box and splicing the wires. I understood it would somehow fit into the space provided between radiator and the grille. Hard to see how that would happen.

Attachments

• IMG_8113.jpg
    IMG_8113.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 2016-01-03 16.06.57.jpg
    2016-01-03 16.06.57.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 2016-01-03 16.08.05.jpg
    2016-01-03 16.08.05.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 2016-01-03 16.08.31.jpg
    2016-01-03 16.08.31.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 195
ok the center door curtain set up is the same on this 58. the snap is of course to keep the edge in place. the holes in the trim pad are for the name badge. it would have two bent rods that would slide down. tighten the top nut would lock them in place.

the under hood is always a mystery. as each owner does something in there it's vary hard to guess what it was. I do know the first thing to getting one to run is to remove all the cobbled up stuff that is put on to make it run better.

the hole threw the support most likely is a wire pass threw it would have a sleeve that was spot welded on to it or a grommet with holes. the size would determine that, this one looks rather large. I have seen them partially cut out with only a tap holding the plug in. if needed you push it open

the switches do not appear to be the factory ones. but could be. the hole has most likely had the button fall out. all the switches on this 58 are pull switches with a chrome knob.

as for the jewel light the most common would be either a master switch light or a door open light. next is a emergency lights on warning light. this 67 superior has one to let you know the master switch for the panel is on. you get to be really familiar with the car figuring out that one.

just a word of advice when working on a Eureka. you have to think midwest farmer frugal. they are built simple but stout were they need to be. with out a lot of extra unnecessary things. they were mostly built by hand with things made in house to hang stuff, like trim from. simple construction with out a lot of unnecessary stuff. clean body with compound curves vary little flat surfaces and a wow interior. built with a lot of lead if they needed to square up a door they would build up the edge with lead and carve it to shape

Last edited:
The hole in the firewall near the battery box was for a duct that went to the back of the standard Cadillac generator.
Another weird thing is that the one chrome knob on the dash panel, is from a early 1960's Chrysler.

The hole in the firewall near the battery box was for a duct that went to the back of the standard Cadillac generator.
Another weird thing is that the one chrome knob on the dash panel, is from a early 1960's Chrysler.

Similar to, but not the same as the knobs that were used on '60-'64 Chryslers. I have owned 2 and parted out 3 of them. Still have a shoebox full of knobs and switches, if anyone needs them.

ok the center door curtain set up is the same on this 58. the snap is of course to keep the edge in place. the holes in the trim pad are for the name badge. it would have two bent rods that would slide down. tighten the top nut would lock them in place.

Sorry, was referring to the two holes in the curtain rod itself. Snap obviously to the right - but appears it somehow attaches at the top too so as not to "fall down." So says the wife! :) I circled it in the below photo

Since you brought up the posts for the window nameplates. Does anyone still make them with the posts? Names Unlimited doesn't appear to have it as an option.

the switches do not appear to be the factory ones. but could be. the hole has most likely had the button fall out. all the switches on this 58 are pull switches with a chrome knob.

as for the jewel light the most common would be either a master switch light or a door open light. next is a emergency lights on warning light. this 67 superior has one to let you know the master switch for the panel is on. you get to be really familiar with the car figuring out that one.

Thanks Paul! Didn't have the skills to catch that the alternator wasn't original. Anything else stand out to you besides the oil filler cap? Sadly the glass jar washer bottle was damaged quite a bit.

As to the switches gentlemen - the same switch is in the back too. Thus, seems to be original to the car. It's also a pull switch - your guess is as good as mine - I'm thinking rear heater and the rheostat-switch next to it similar purpose. NCG outlet below - still looking for more than the 1 NCG flowmeter I have to plug in. Plug next to that is the spotlight jack as folks previously figured out.

just a word of advice when working on a Eureka. you have to think midwest farmer frugal. they are built simple but stout were they need to be. with out a lot of extra unnecessary things. they were mostly built by hand with things made in house to hang stuff, like trim from. simple construction with out a lot of unnecessary stuff. clean body with compound curves vary little flat surfaces and a wow interior. built with a lot of lead if they needed to square up a door they would build up the edge with lead and carve it to shape

Thanks for the advice! It is quite well built, and "wow" indeed.

Thanks to Mr. Loftin - got a better idea of where the Q1 would go. Hopefully I'll be able to get some deep close-ups of the hardware and bracket/shelf itself sometime soon.

Lastly - another mystery solved. We know what was in the center of the mysterious cross. Gold foil/leaf with a green border. A small pile was sitting in a back crevice of the car too. Not sure how it'd look new with a deep blue car... Anyway - hope someone can replicate (on a new window!) - thankfully other side is not smashed.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8243.jpg
    IMG_8243.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8092.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8224.jpg
    IMG_8224.jpg