8 ply tires

Where would you find 8 ply tires with white walls similar to what Ron Devies has on his short wheel based Olds?

I had them on my Lifeliner when I first got it and have thoughts of putting them back on.

I love that tall tire look.PCS 2011 Hudson, OH 181.JPG

Richard

If you plan to just "show" your car, it may be OK to use the tall original bias ply type tires... but if you plan on "driving" your car, I would suggest RADIAL TIRES !!!

I too LOVE the LOOK of BIAS PLY tires !!!

...but after driving with both, I would never risk the safety of MY LIFE or THE CAR by using bias ply tires.

Bias ply tires: follow the road ruts, jump sideways after hitting bumps and potholes in the road and do not corner nearly as well as radial tires do.

Radials make you feel like you are floating down the road without following the ruts, without any sideways jumping and corner very well !

Just my own experiences with having both types of tires on classic cars since 1988.

PROCARS HAVE THE GREATEST FEEL WITH RADIAL TIRES !!! :thumb:

Hope this helps !

All other members, share your thoughts "for or against" bias ply or radial tires.
Do be shy, say it as it is with you ! :clap:

Darren

big tires and...

Richard,
You might try Coker Tire Company in Tenn. They seem to have about anything a person could want in an old style tire.
I agree with Darren about the radials. I had Coker wide whites on my 61 coach for years. They were bias ply tires. They rode good. They held up well. But they would follow every groove they could find in the pavement. The radial wide whites that are on the 61 ride good and seem to be holding up well too. They do not follow grooves or ruts in the roadway. They are quiet and the handling of the coach seems to be improved with the radials. I will not be going back to bias tires.
When I get my old Buick out of the barn it will be getting radials too. It is still on the factory US Royal bias tires from the 50s.
Mike

:myopinion:

I had my fun in the early days with the old tires and they also have a problem with hunks falling off them. Closest thing I found that had the height and rating that was not a radial was a denman straight tread that we ran for a while but they are no longer available either but drove like a dream and close to a radial.

they were the 890x15 correct size for the car. only available threw cooker in the wide white wall. to be correct and get a radial tire you would have to go to a 700x15 load range d. Toyo or Yokohama's have them. then you have Diamondback put in the white walls correct for your car which would be the duel pinstripe. you'll only end up with around 300 bucks a tire in them that way. but the good news is you'll never wear them out. I want to put them on the Seville also. I just need the money for other things.

8.90x15 bias ply "ambulance service" tires

any body remember these tires with "ambulance service" stamped on the sidewall.i belive that they were load range "e".when i first started in the ambulance service buisness in the mid to late 60's all of our rigs had them.as they say"those were the good old days':specool:

any body remember these tires with "ambulance service" stamped on the sidewall.i belive that they were load range "e".when i first started in the ambulance service buisness in the mid to late 60's all of our rigs had them.as they say"those were the good old days':specool:

Still got one that came as a spare on one of the cars! I'll have to go down to the barn and get it down to see who it was made by though.

The correct tire...

is an 890x15 8 ply rated tire wich is available from coker tire but perhaps not with the narrow whitewall you describe. Don't buy the stuff about bias tires being unsafe. THE CAR WAS DESIGNED TO RIDE ON BIAS TIRES. You learned to drive on bias tires. I have them on all the cars I own which were originally equipped with them and I drive them all over the place. In fact the radial tires may present a problem on a car who's suspension was designed for bias tires. JUST MY TWO CENTS.

...I meant Vyse. He and I worked together when we were kids. I think he is a couple months older than me. (Yeah, I know, that's a couple months older than dirt!)

I knew who you meant and I do believe Mr. Smith I'm a few years older than you. Young wife's make your hair turn gray quicker! :yankchain:

Where would you find 8 ply tires with white walls similar to what Ron Devies has on his short wheel based Olds?

I had them on my Lifeliner when I first got it and have thoughts of putting them back on.

I love that tall tire look.

Richard, in looking at the pictures of your car when you got it, I don't think you had tires like what are on that Oldsmobile. Yours were L78-15 tires and were not as tall as the 8-ply you are thinking about using. I think you may be disappointed in the height after using them. I have the L78-15 bias ply dual stripes on my Victoria. They are exactly what shows in the factory literature for 1972. I bought mine from Coker on a Tuesday and they were stacked on my porch Friday.

As far as bias vs. radial opinions, I think there is a difference not yet discussed here. Tire age. Putting new radial tires on a car makes for a nice ride and all but so does putting new bias-ply tires on a car. I have driven cars with old bias-ply tires and new bias-ply tires. Just like any tire, once it is old, it may still hold air, but will not perform as when new. I have been happy with the performance of my new set of period correct tires.

Richard, in looking at the pictures of your car when you got it, I don't think you had tires like what are on that Oldsmobile. Yours were L78-15 tires and were not as tall as the 8-ply you are thinking about using. I think you may be disappointed in the height after using them. I have the L78-15 bias ply dual stripes on my Victoria. They are exactly what shows in the factory literature for 1972. I bought mine from Coker on a Tuesday and they were stacked on my porch Friday.

As far as bias vs. radial opinions, I think there is a difference not yet discussed here. Tire age. Putting new radial tires on a car makes for a nice ride and all but so does putting new bias-ply tires on a car. I have driven cars with old bias-ply tires and new bias-ply tires. Just like any tire, once it is old, it may still hold air, but will not perform as when new. I have been happy with the performance of my new set of period correct tires.

Kevin, can you shoot a picture and send please along with tire information. Thanks.

Kevin, can you shoot a picture and send please along with tire information. Thanks.

Picture1562.jpg

Picture1563.jpg

9f519813.jpg

the L78s were standard on the 75 models. they are the same size in diameter as the 700x15s just a little wider. a 30 in tire if I remember right. the 890x15 is a 31 in tire. to compare the 235x15 are 29 in tire. new rubber will handle better than old worn out rubber. the only question is what is the load rating of the L78 x 15? here is a picture of the spare tire off the 72 Seville the correct 890x15 duel pin strip Uniroyal. they are the tall narrow tread like on Ron's car. the spare in the 72 ambulance was the same just not a white wallIMG_4138.jpgIMG_4140.jpgIMG_4141.jpgIMG_4142.jpg

tire chart

If you will go to: http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm you will find about all the tire interchange info you will ever need. This chart gives sizes, load ratings, and cross references. It may help in your tire buying decisions. I have found it to be very useful.
And now you know.
Mike

Back