white over maroon fleet

As seen on a recent roadtrip.

dsc00504zt.jpg

Interesting.

dsc00506wh.jpg

What is this first coach anyway? Those lines look wonky.

dsc00505a.jpg

From the design of the Landau bars, with two bars, I would have to say that coach is a 1990 Miller-Metor. I remember these cars well.

That first coach is kind of unusual. I also recall seeing those landau bars, as well as the "wreath" (is that what it's called??) on some Collins coaches. Very interesting color combo.

I,m wondering of the year of the first coach, i,m not saying its not a m/m but if it is a 1990 cadillac wouldn't have the seatbelt's connected to the window door frame, its hard to tell from the pic's.

Investigative Skills

Attila: With your keen investigative skills.... you should get a part-time job with CNN or 60 Minutes! It's incredible all the finds you are making! Please keep up the good work, I enjoy.... as I am sure other members are... seeing all these barn (and otherwise) finds you are making! MM

I agree with Brad that Collin's hearses had wreaths, but I think they also had a "torch" design in the center of their crests. And I don't recall anyone other than MM having the double bar, however, I was wrong once before..or was that twice? Maybe I am wrong on the number of times I have been wrong. During this time, there were some odd ball companies making some strange hearses. This was the time after Superior, S&S, MM, and the others all fell apart before accubuilt combined them. I think it's a 1990 Cadillac because of the single, composit headlights. This was the first change Cadillac made to the front of the car in 10 years. But, it could also be a 91 or 92.

Stiff neck?

I'm oh-so-happy to address angled shots. Different criteria. Here's mine:

1. Unobstructed views. Honed over 25 years of shooting at car shows. Hella difficult to pull off with hundreds of people typically around. The alternative would be shooting with a 19mm fisheye lens - which curves the entire subject. Given the response, I wouldn't want to be responsible for sending you to the hospital.

2. Picturing entire vehicle as large as possible. (Diagonal allows for a 15% size increase.) This means not cutting off tires, bumpers, etc. *Completely* kills a shot and should be avoided if possible. Not as simple as turning the camera straight; which means stepping backwards another 6-8'. Refer back to reason number 1. Why would I enable even more people to get in the way? Again, most times with other vehicles near it isn't possible anyway.

3. Methodical efficiency. Know how many shots you can take on a full Sony D-Type Lithium battery charge? I do; about 275 without flash - which drops considerably if time passes between shots. Many of the angles aren't more than 10 degrees from 'normal' actually. Sometimes the combined perspective of shooting from knee to ankle (not typical head) height can hang some up. You can stand around a long time awaiting unbeknown sheep to move out of the way. Or, drop low, people see that much faster, and are more prone to obliging.

Soooo...I do not care if someone doesn't like them; nor for instructions; nor what you would do; nor if your neck hurts; nor any lackluster, droll, unoriginal jokes; nor if they're "artsy"; etc. Horizontal shots work best in print applications exclusively where formatting takes priority. If one can't enjoy them as is, skip my posts. Moving on. ;)

Attila: With your keen investigative skills.... you should get a part-time job with CNN or 60 Minutes! It's incredible all the finds you are making! Please keep up the good work, I enjoy.... as I am sure other members are... seeing all these barn (and otherwise) finds you are making! MM

Ha! Thanks..? There is a vehicle equivalent to the show American Pickers in the works that is scheduled to shoot based in Austin. If so, I'll be a ferret in the field for the host/friend.

There are two more large private stashes I've learned of within the last week. One local friend was turned into code enforcement for too many vehicles. When the enforcer was on the property, a young policeman accompanied. The policeman told my friend (and property owner) that a friend of his father's out in the country has 125 cars from the '30s-'50s he needs to get rid of within the next month. Hilarious irony. Trying to get there next week.

Second stash is about an hour away and has 200 cars, also '30s-'50s. Guy inherited property with the cars on them and isn't into them. He sells reasonably but doesn't advertise and none are visible from any road. Heard he has (had?) a couple hearses. Another day trip as soon as I can fit it.

There are seriously more than 30 coaches I presently know about off the radar. Keep in mind I don't pay attention much to any post-'60. Until both pictures AND price validate (not one or the other), I don't bother mentioning them.

Back to the fleet above. That first coach's chrome band is fuggin' hideous. Coming from a design background, I'd love to meet the person responsible for drawing that up. Looks like it went from thumbnail to fruition; no revision; no critique; no thought. It doesn't flow. The leading edge doesn't line up with anything. And why does it change widths??? All that it accomplishes is making a pressure point. Or providing the recently deceased with a chrome stairway to heaven. :puke2:

I like the first coach. Being fugly makes it more unique. After seeing and owning so many coaches, something a little different makes it stand out. There are so many small builders out there it could be anything. As for it being a M-M or a Collins it is possible (although I have not seen one like this). In this era Collins owned the M-M name and used the double landau bars. I know on my 1991 M-M Lincoln it has all the Miller-Meteor badging, but on the inside door tag it says built by Collins Industries.

Soooo...I do not care if someone doesn't like them; nor for instructions; nor what you would do; nor if your neck hurts; nor any lackluster, droll, unoriginal jokes; nor if they're "artsy"; etc. Horizontal shots work best in print applications exclusively where formatting takes priority. If one can't enjoy them as is, skip my posts. Moving on. ;)

Didn't say I didn't like them. I dabble in 19th Century photography myself.

The reason i was debating the year is that the 1990 cadillac didn't have that filler panel behind the front bumper. and looking closer at the coach as i said in my last post about the seat belts look at the limo on the end the seat belts on the window frame are visible . attila doe's some of the greatest photo work which i do like viewing. maybe a member with a late 80's or early 90's coach could answer this better about the filler panel.

Last edited:
Happened to drive by during business hours (150 miles away). Very nice 13 year employee told me it is a '92 and that it only sees service a couple times annually when the need arises for more than 1 hearse at the same time.

He did not know who the coach builder is. Here are new shots:

dsc01142n.jpg

dsc01143d.jpg

My guess(es) for coachbuilder

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess either Breece Custom Limousines of Dallas, Dem-Hearse or A. G. Solar. I am leaning towards Breece because of the Texas roots but I am not 100% sure since I don't know how long Breece was in business. The rear of the coach looks like something Breece would do.:myopinion:

Before they sold to SCI/ Dignity Memorial, the Funeral Home in my town ran a fleet of Black over maroon. I like the white over maroon better.

Carl Woerner has informed me that this hearse is in fact a Breece and was made in Dallas. (Well done on guess Jonathon.) Carl went on to say that the 3/4 roof molding was intentionally designed to give the illusion of more height on a non-commercial glass car.

Here's a 1998 S&S Medalist at the Pilgrim Funeral Home in Madelia, MN. White diamond with maroon top and interior. Sharp color combination.

(Karsnia photo)

Attachments

• zzz_pilgrim 001.jpg
    zzz_pilgrim 001.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 450
Your reasons for taking angled shots are great. I had never thought of any of the benefits. And I guess you could take the "meat of the photo" and with some computer program put them as most people would expect to see them and fill in the other areas with something pleasing to the eye. But the important thing is you get the shot in the best possible detail...
I learned something today...

Back